Foray into XFCE on Zorin OS 16 Core

Then how do I move to xfce?

sudo apt install xfce4

sudo apt install xfce4-zorinmenulite-plugin

Once Zorin OS 16 Lite is released- If you want to you can run sudo apt install zorin-os-desktop-lite in order to experience certain configurations that Zorin OS adds, such as the use of Dockbarx. We have covered my opinion on this before... And the impatient may prefer to just install and configure dockbarx on their own before then.

Crossover:

Solution:
https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-power-manager/preferences

1 Like
jeslin@jeslin-Satellite-L510:~$ sudo apt install xfce4-zorinmenulite-plugin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package xfce4-zorinmenulite-plugin

What should I do?

I use whiskermenu :expressionless:

sudo apt install xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin

Trying again for the Zorin Menu:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zorinos/stable

sudo apt update && sudo apt install xfce4-zorinmenulite-plugin

1 Like

Done this. Should I now restart?

You can if you want to.
If you are logged into XFCE, you can Right Click the panel, then the Menu Right Arrow next to panel for Panel Preferences. This will open the panel settings. Last tab is Items.
This is where xfce shines - You can literally do almost anything you want with these panels.
In the Items tab, select what items you want. I have my custom launchers on the right, then Window Buttons in the middle. Then the App menu far left.
You can arrange any of the above however you want in the Items tab, using the up or down arrows.
You can add the WhiskerMenu or the Zorin Menu.
With Whiskermenu, you can right click the Whiskermenu and hit Configure - then a settings window will pop up with a zillion different settings including custom icon, layout, treeview, list view, where everything is arranged... It's enough to overwhelm.

1 Like

So, how do I log in to xfce ? :sweat_smile:

Did you get a prompt in the terminal to configure LightDM?
IF so - log out from the leftmost icon lower rightside of the app menu, then select the XFCE Session option from the drop down menu on the top menubar of the LightDM Login Screen.

If not... it gets a lot more fun. Because GDM is made by Gnome and Gnome likes to Hide Everything.
On your GDM Login window, click your user name as if to change user- but instead, click the gear icon that should (But maybe won't) appear next to your name on the right side. If it does, a drop down menu will appear offering the Desktops - Choose XFCE session.
If it doesn't, get a large hammer...

1 Like

This one? This was before I restarted

1 Like

Found an Alternative to Light-locker that has the blur effect you want:

1 Like

After this I chose the first option the one that starts with g and thats all where I got to. Am I missing something?

From what you just said, I can assume you chose GDM instead of Lightdm.
In which case see the "if not" from up above.

1 Like

correct

How can I get to the login window? I am still on gnome.

See above.

I am doing something wrong? Where is it?

That is GDM, not LightDM

Yeah I got in. Is it supposed to look like this

If yes how can I get rid of way that taskbar looks?

Yes.
Right click the taskbar and hover over Panel. Slide to the Right arrow (Menu arrow) and select Panel Preferences.
At the bottom - Length - slide it to 100.
Select any other preferences you want on this tab.
Select the third tab - Items -

Remove or add any items (launchers, etc) you want. If you are Used to the Zorin Menu on the Left, then click "Add". Scroll to the bottom and select Zorin Menu Lite.
Select it by clicking, then click the Up Arrow until Zorin Menu Lite is at the top.

Now open The App menu and select Settings - then Appearance. Choose any theme you want.
From the App menu, select Settings - then scroll all the way down to Window Manager. Unlike Gnome, XFCE has a fully functioning window manager that you can adjust as you see fit.
Choose the Window Manager theme. You can also explore the other settings there - or check out Window Manager Tweaks. But in Tweaks, be careful of what you select. There are a lot of options.

And you might wanna do something about that hideous background wallpaper:P
Right click anywhere on your desktop and choose desktop Settings.

Now that you have your themes selected, you may want to re-open Panel > Panel Preferences and click the middle tab Background and explore the options there. You can set a background image to your panel, change the color or any other customization of its appearance.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.