Forcing me to delete gnome and necessary things in order to reinstall depedencies

backup finished, what do i do next?

sudo apt clean && sudo apt autoremove

Install libcrypt 4.4:
http://ports.ubuntu.com/pool/main/libx/libxcrypt/libcrypt-dev_4.4.10-10ubuntu4_arm64.deb

Once done, Reboot.

Once booted, run

sudo apt install --reinstall zorin-os-desktop

keeps giving me that message

Ok, prior to these steps run

sudo apt --fix-broken install

Then proceed as below:

again

what do i do?

sudo dpkg --force depends -P libcrypt20-:i386

sudo apt remove -f libgcrypt20

sudo apt clean && sudo apt autoremove

sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt install --reisntall zorin-os-desktop

We must be very careful as users to not break our systems by trying to install packages that depend on versions that we cannot install.

Untangling it after the fact - becomes exactly as difficult as you are experiencing here.

I recommend reinstalling Zorin OS.

how do i upgrade to zorin os 17? it does not appear in the upgrade software

Please see this thread:

A reinstall would be your best bet. Since you already backed up, you can download 17, run the installer overwriting your system partition.

Please be careful and understand what libraries you are changing, why and research other possible methods as changing library versions will mess up your system. Zorin requires certain versions of libraries. As with python, this will make your system inoperable.

Since 17 uses jammy, it should be the libc6 version you were attempting to install.

If you hadn't removed or commented out the jammy source after upgrading libc6 this will happen.

1 Like

Yes, we should have checked the Sources - I am embarrassed that I did not think of it right away.
If a Jammy Repository is still added in the Zorin OS 16 Build, this would explain the repeated difficulty.

1 Like

I only considered this because of my use of a later kernel that required the jammy version of libc6, and i had forgotten to remove that source, forcing me into Ubuntu 22, which required a restore from backup. It was a mess.

how do i backup the app data i installed from the zorin app store?

Copy your home directory to an archive(zip) and restore it after.

Check that .flatpak directory exists in home and has the app's directory inside. If not you may have to copy some of the directories from /flatpak or /usr/flatpak... I'm not quite sure which is used.

This could also be a snap, which would be under the same premise,
except under .snap , or an apt package, which will list it directly under home i believe.

You can check which package manager installed the app with apt list --installed, flatpak list, and snap list respectively.

If you are staying on Zorin OS 16:

If you are moving up to Zorin OS 17; then some of the above may still be helpful. Not all that you installed on 16 may still be maintained in Zorin OS 17 and the Jammy Jellyfish repos.
So, I would just run the

sudo dpkg -l | awk '/^ii/ { print $2 }' >package-list

And then install only the maintained packages in the list.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.