GIMP is a horrible name

Especially if you just watched Pulp Fiction :face_with_monocle:

Well, "Zorin" was the name of the arch villain in the 007 film "A View to a Kill." Does that make the OS evil? (Obviously not.)

As for the logo, it reminds me most of Zorro.

If you are curious I was making a reference to this thread:

I also prefer to associate Zorin with Zorro if we're to make up connections where there are none.

But the point I'm trying to make is that some people will always find something arbitrary to be offensive, even when there is no current or past intent to that effect.
Because times change and so does public opinion, everything is prone to be offensive to some at one point or another. But having to re-shape the world because of that, rather than looking for answers and understanding why things have come to be the way they are, is in my opinion a complete waste of time.

Let me give you an example: Git.

For those who don't know Git is an extremely popular piece of software used in the industry to keep track of source code. It arranges the code in "branches" where programmers can contribute code without affecting the work of others. These details are not important, for anyone curious to know more checkout the link above.
Well, the default branch is called "master", and recently some people took offense in that name because, you know, master and slaves? So, in the name of political correctness, it was deemed a monstrous, unacceptable atrocity and thus the entire industry had to shift to "main" as the default branch name, instead.

Now, obviously, changing the branch name is not a big deal. However, the objective reality is that this changes nothing: the past remains the past, and slavery continues to exist all the same.
Ironically, the same companies that fight so fiercely for this type of political correctness, are the ones that rely the most on Rare Earth minerals and cheap manufacturing to continue to operate. Industries where actual slavery and child labor continue to exist.

What I'm trying to say here is, if you want to make a difference then pick one of the many pressing issues that we have as a society and do something about any of those, rather than focusing on the small things like names and logos, just for the sake of self-righteousness.

1 Like

I hope we don't see mainbaters.

You see what's really horrible now, right?

What does "mainbater" mean? I tried looking it up but couldn't find any good results :confused: