Glad I'm sticking with Zorin 16 Pro Gnome

Me personally I do like to change things a wee bit (right Aravisian) .... I like to set things up the way I want to .... do I screw things up ... ohhhh yea .... but I have plenty of wing men and women to back me up when I need help ....

The way things are going with Gnome lately it could be that Zorin might decide to change to another version of a desktop in which case you will have to learn a new one or not upgrade to a new Zorin version .... seems they did that with Zorin 16 lite .... I believe that one uses the XFCE desktop ...

I chose to install Cinnamon (my daily driver) and XFCE so I am familiar with them so I have choices plus I downloaded all of Aravisian's dark themes which will give me a different look just by choosing a different theme and wallpaper .... right now I'm using the Bumbee .... errrrrr ..... Hornet theme .... it's kinda like taking your ol' reliable VW and giving it a paint job and new upholstery ... wala .... looks like new with a tried and true vehicle underneath .... JMHO .... :+1: :grin:

2 Likes

Sorry my choice has cause so many to think I don't think others can do there thing. And that I'm not right in doing mine.

I like my choice and made mine know, never said you can't do yours.

In the end I'm happy with Zorin as is.... Gnome ain't as bad as it's made out. And if someone wants to use something other than Zorin I'm cool with that too.

Lots of other OS of different flavors out there that work fine for those that tweak and enjoy it. Because I use Zorin Gnome isn't a rule you have to, it's what I choose, don't care if you don't like my decision...I never said I didn't like yours.

No one asked you to defend your choice in my post. if you like Devuan or Arch or whatever your not my enemy.

Sorry I posted positive thoughts on Zorin and my choice.

1 Like

I don't except your apology for defending the positive aspect of Zorin .... because you don't need to .... we all treat our computers differently and what works for one may not work for another .... ain't it great that we have choices .... I certainly respect your right to use what desktop you like ....

Your post showed that you like and use Gnome and have had no problems with it .... I too used Gnome when I first started out on Zorin 16 Pro (2.5 months ago) and I don't remember having any problems on it (well that isn't true .... I did drive Aravisian nuts trying to install Cinnamon but that was my user error not Gnome) once I understood a little bit on how Zorin worked .... it was fine ....

Now Cinnamon and FXCE was a different story cause I like to fiddle and fiddling can lead to what happened to Nero and Rome ....

I hope my post above didn't lead you to think I was bashing your choice to use Gnome because I wasn't .... I was just expressing what I like to do with Zorin 16 Pro and how I use it ... I'm sure there are a lot of people who use Gnome and never leave it ....

1 Like

Close...
Zorin OS Lite used to use LXDE desktop. It was later switched to XFCE.
I do like LXDE... But I can see a lot of good reasons to switch to XFCE.

• better window management
  • more configuration settings
  • Better Support
  • XFCE is about as light on resources as LXDE is, in spite of being more fleshed out.

I think it really helps a person to Learn their system.

Bubby... I would like address something here by quoting you. Frog expressed himself quite well to what you had to say. I also agree with what you had to say. But in the Opener - the O.P.:

This statement is quite leading.

So is this one, actually.
These lead the reader to think that XFCE is not working, hard to configure and deal with... You had said that "everyone" was having to deal with the issues with Lite... And are therefor glad you are safe from that on Gnome.

I am not trying to beat you down any.
I am sure you can see... that is an interesting introduction to the topic.

Zorin OS Lite is as easy to start out with as Zorin OS Core is. They do not require additional or exceptional configurations, tweaking or modifications. It wasn't really that others were saying that you cannot use what you enjoy... It was that your wording implied that we were fools to enjoy Zorin OS Lite. It may be that somehow you got an inaccurate impression of Zorin OS Lite.
Either way, your O.P. was positive in only one Direction.

3 Likes

I totally agree as far as my experience goes .... at first I didn't want to touch what I didn't understand but the longer I played with the OS the more confidence I gathered and coming from windows I didn't have to tinker with anything because there was nothing to tinker with

I would however tackle quite a few things in the registry it didn't seem to bother me although people would say "don't ever go in there because your computer will blow up and take out a whole city block .... but it didn't and I was very very careful to follow the instructions step by step .....

I mainly went in there to make changes to keep M$ from forcing me to except mandatory downloads and as I said I never downloaded anything from windows going all the way back to Win 7 .... all my drivers were downloaded from the manufactures website .... I did use a variety of different versions of windows so no need for their updates ....

But I have learned more in the past 2.5 months from you guys and by getting my hands dirty and getting under the hood so to speak with Zorin than I did for the past 15 years with windows ...... do I hate windows .... no ... I don't .... what I hate is what M$ has become and what they did with their products to total (got to be careful here cause I keep getting little notices that "that word is not allowed" ) bulldoze through their customers ...

Anyway got to take a nap my mind is frazzled from dealing with moving files and folders around to make more room on all these external HD's .... but I'm making a lot of progress and that is the main thing I guess ... LOL ....

1 Like

@Aravisian Looks like this Has become a writing contest

Problem solved.

Many threads go off topic now and again. Is it a writing contest when people are having a discussion you don't have anything positive to contribute?

And the last two comments had returned to the topic of why Frog was staying on Zorin. It's actually nice to hear when things work and reasons to stick with a small organizations OS rather than the larger competition.

1 Like