GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

Ok so i've been having this issue, it has been driving me nuts my taskbar and entire shell start crashing can no longer click on anything or close windows and the only way to recover from it is to ctrl+alt+F1 out of it. the screenshot shows all my errors i'm getting what should i do to fix this i already tried reinstalling zorin 17 pro didn't fix anything so all this is happening even on a fresh install.

Take a look at fastboot in BIOS, it must be disable.

i have secure boot enabled should i disable it?

Yes... secure boot and fastboot

i don't have any fastboot options in my BIOS i did try disable secure boot but that didn't fix my issue my shell still locks up randomly i never had any issues on Zorin 16 pro...

Have you added any gnome extensions?

Have you reinstalled the D.E.?

sudo apt install --reinstall zorin-os-desktop

Have you tested disabling all non-essential gnome-shell-extensions to see if the crashing stops? Then reactivating one by one until the crashes start again?

What's interesting is that I disabled and enabled secure boot, and it seems to have calmed down a very interesting issue. If it happens again, I'll try your command. I wonder what exactly could have caused this because I'm running a pure fresh install and selected the wipe disk option on install so I would be completely fresh, and I'm running a completely original Zorin theme wallpaper and everything.

Well, the same thing was happening with me.
It began with Zorin 16.3 (before, it was running well). With Zorin 17, two... three days after I had install it (fresh install), same problems.
I don't know how, but fastboot was "enable"... then I changed this and 95% of the problems disappeared.

I was on Zorin 16.3 Pro for years, not having a single problem until I jumped to 17 very oddly earlier. I was contemplating going back to 16.3 for awhile till they release some updates to iron out issues. I mean it's a new version of Zorin, so it's understandable to have bugs, but I decided to see if there was a fix. The new features on 17 are too nice to leave behind.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.