Going to bite the bullet . . . with 5.11.0-34

being a noob and all, I am really paranoid about this update. I have a couple questions before I launch into this.

#1. Given that I am doing this on an iMac, I have concerns that my keyboard (plugged in an HP wired Keyboard) may not map the same as the instructions below. Are there any similar BIOS operations I can try prior to the update to check if my keys are mapping similar or not?

#2 Do I understand the sequence of steps correctly:
a. Run the updater
b. If problems, boot from the recovery menu using the steps outlined herein using left shift or escape key
c. Select the previous working 5.11.0-27 kernel
d. Boot
e. use the updater or sudo apt dist-upgrade again

If you update to the 5.11.0-34 kernel and still experience issues:

Please boot into the recovery menu:

• Select the previous working 5.11.0-27 kernel
  • Boot up
  • Run software updater or run sudo apt dist-upgrade in terminal

Once complete, reboot normally in the 5.11.0-34 kernel. If you still are having problems, it may be another issue so please start a new thread to troubleshoot.

yeah its best not to set grub timeout to zero. When i was dualbooting i had set grub timeout to zero thinking it will launch windows by default and i can open boot menu to get into linux. I was using debian on dual boot back then. That was the biggest mistake i made because when i select debian from boot menu it opens the grub menu and boots back to windows and linux was impossible to open

so I had to reinstall debian to make it work again

moral of the story: never set your grub timeout to 0

testing things out here before I actually update.

I held the left shift key down and it booted into Zorin. I am starting with a hold method first because I suspect the Mac architecture may require this. Will try the tapping of the key later if necessary.

Then I tried holding down the ESC key and this took me to the Grub.

Here i see a line of text that reads “Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions. I hit tab and the output read Possible commands are:

and then a list of commands.

If anyone cares to chime in while I am here, I am sure I can benefit from your take on what grub is and its function. Anyway, I am going to move on as I don’t think this is a recovery menu.

Going to try tapping the left shift key next and see what happens.

Yep, sounds legit to me, you got it!

thanks. I am trying to test getting to recovery mode on this mac. no luck so far but will keep trying. this may be all for naught. maybe I won’t even have an issue with the update.

My patience with testing my access to recovery mode ran out. So I went ahead and updated. To this noob's eyes, it looked like it updates to 5.11.0-36 .. . . and I am still typing on Zorin after the update. So maybe I am good. Will try reboot and see it all remains good on the other side.

On this side of the reboot and all appears well. This side of the update, my brightness control works for the first time in Zorin 16 Pro. Excited about that. My retinas are happy. Going to see if I can get bluetooth to work for first time next. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

YAY for happy retnas! WOOHOO! LOL

Thats the reason I had to install that program that Aravisian recommended in order to change my brightness, cause the gnome brightness slider was not working at all, even with a separate extension!

ALSO! Glad everything worked out in the update, I figured it would. :+1:

1 Like

When I was first switching this old, no longer MacOS supported iMac, I didn’t really care what happened. But now that I have this thing turned into a super cool, super fast Machine of Zorin beauty, I suddenly feel like I have something to lose. lol

The kernel update came just yesterday.
I now got this:
Linux Intel-desktop 5.11.0-36-generic #40~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Sat Sep 18 02:14:19 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I was also affected by -34 NVidia issue, but this -36 update seemed to solved it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yo FrenchPress!

What you doin on this sad of da kernel, your like, "I'm going to put the kernels in the microwave, and if they pop I got good kernels." Thats right FrenchPress, you got your winner chicken dinner with this 5.11.36 kernel, I am happy for you.

Secret..... So do I.........
Zorin OS 16 PRO - New Screenfetch - 5.11.36 Kernel
Tell no one. Kidding, cause I just did. HEHE :crazy_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.