Half Lockscreen - half desktop lockup - Anyone else get this?

My mothers laptop does this every so often (once every few days). Mouse can still move about the screen, but nothing can be clicked on.

CTRL+ALT+F commands work and I can login via terminal, startx to make a traditional gnome gui under root appear and use the pc as normal.

I can log out and back in to the user account but the display remains in this state.

The only solution so far is to restart the PC via terminal or another x session

Zorin OS 16 standard
lock screen is disabled
display set to turn off after 5 mins
AMD 2500U + vega 8 APU

I cannot recreate the issue manually locking or logging in/out, letting monitors power save, etc.

The downside of it happening only every few days is the amount of time it may take to test it.
Although the AMD chip is an attention-getter... I would focus on troubleshooting two things first: The desktop gnome-shell and the gnome-extensions.
You can run a reinstallation of shell immediately as a start. If that does not have the desired effect, we can try continued troubleshooting.

In terminal, run:

sudo apt install --reinstall gnome-shell && sudo apt install --reinstall zorin-os-desktop

It happened to my father's pc now as well.
His pc uses intel and nvidia so its not an AMD APU/GPU related issue.

IF a member of the zorin dev team reads this and lets me know what log files to supply, I can assist with this possible cross platform bug.

1 Like

Try installing Gnome-Tweak tool and disabling all extensions listed in the right pane of the Extensions Tab on the Left Pane:

sudo apt install gnome-tweaks

With all extensions disabled, test to reproduce. If the problem no longer occurs we have narrowed it to the extensions. You can then enable the extensions one at time until you have narrowed down the extension that is at fault.

A time saver may be to reinstall all gnome-extensions at once and see if the problem goes away. While this won't narrow down which one was faulty, (if it works) it will resolve your issue.

For the below command double-check for whitespace or misspaces before hitting enter in the terminal:

sudo apt install --reinstall gnome-shell-extension-appindicator gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons gnome-shell-extension-mediaplayer gnome-shell-extension-printers gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock gnome-shell-extension-x11gestures gnome-shell-extension-zorin-app-grid gnome-shell-extension-zorin-appindicator gnome-shell-extension-zorin-connect gnome-shell-extension-zorin-dash gnome-shell-extension-zorin-desktop-icons gnome-shell-extension-zorin-do-not-disturb gnome-shell-extension-zorin-hide-activities-move-clock gnome-shell-extension-zorin-magic-lamp-effect gnome-shell-extension-zorin-menu gnome-shell-extension-zorin-panel gnome-shell-extension-zorin-printers gnome-shell-extension-zorin-screen-keyboard-button gnome-shell-extension-zorin-taskbar gnome-shell-extension-zorin-tray gnome-shell-extension-zorin-window-list-main-panel gnome-shell-extension-zorin-window-move-effect gnome-shell-extensions-zorin-desktop

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.