Having trouble installing Wine/ App-support

Tried some of the suggestions here and I'm still having trouble installing zorin-windows-app-support or from WineHQ directly.

When running an .exe and prompted to install Zorin Windows App Support the package cannot be found. Same goes for searching on the Software Store or with apt in the terminal. Also tried installing from WineHQ via their directions but ran into the same dependency issues mentioned above. I'm on a rather fresh install of OS 16 Pro and I have only installed a few other additional apps so far. Removed winehq repos and did a apt remove --purge wine but there's nothing to remove since it was never installed. apt upgrade and Software Updater both report everything is up to date, but I'm still unable to locate or install the zorin-windows-app-support package. Any ideas?

What is the terminal output of

sudo apt full-upgrade

Not much:

~$ sudo apt full-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

I am sorry to press this issue but- you are certain that you removed all wineHQ repos?

What does

sudo apt install -y zorin-windows-app-support

yield?

try typing this:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove wine-stable wine-stable-amd64
then try to install wine again

1 Like

Same deal, still not found

Building dependency tree
E: Unable to locate package zorin-windows-app-support

then Wine install again after
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove wine-stable wine-stable-amd64

~$ sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
Building dependency tree
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
winehq-stable : Depends: wine-stable (= 6.0.1~groovy-1)
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Try

sudo apt --fix-broken install

Why is it looking for Groovy?
Not Focal? Please check your Repositories again in Software & Updates > Other tab.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zorinos/stable

2 Likes

Whoops, don't know why I thought Zorin was 20.10 so I had added the groovy repo. Added focal repo for Wine and was able to install it. Thanks for the sharp eye.

Even after (re)adding the PPA, the zorin-windows-app-support package still can't be found. Don't think it's related to manually trying to install Wine since I only went down that route after being unable to find the Zorin package.

Thank you for the help, I'm still a bit of a Linux rookie but always willing to learn new things as long as it means being rid of Windows. If it weren't for work than I wouldn't even need Wine, but for the moment I think I have what I need to get things going.

1 Like

If you have any WINEHQ repos added, then that may cause the zorin-windows-app-support to not be found.
In the end, I think it is only relevant as to which you use based on which version of WINE you want or need.

1 Like

What will happen ? I installed both. will it have a bad effect? i am confused about this.

1 Like

it may as the system usually defaults to "Prefer highest version". If you added a repo that uses a different version than zorin-windows-app-support does, then breakage could possibly occur.

I highly recommend using only ONE repository for any particular package.

what about winetricks? does it have a bad effect when winetricks is installed together with WineHQ and zorin-windows-app-support? or is it better to just install WineHQ and Winetricks/Zorin-windows-app-support and Winetricks or only install one?

Winetricks and PlayOnLinux should be fine.
You are installing and updating those both from the Universe Repository.

OK, I understand, thanks you for the information.:smile :

Quick update in case anyone else comes across a similar issue:

I was able to install the zorin-windows-app-support package after experimenting with the PPAs. I had noticed that for some reason apt (and Synaptic) was not seeing a majority of the packages from the repo. Not sure what would cause this as I'm not familiar with the way PPAs work.

Remove the ppa:zorinos/stable repo through Software and Updates or with sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:zorinos/stable, update apt, re-add the PPA with sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zorinos/stable and update apt again. All packages became visible and I was able to install Zorin Windows App Support through the Software Store.

2 Likes