Help with Conky Customization Pls

Alternatively, if @seanhinkley 's suggestion does not work out:

If you do not care about that line, you could just alter it to change its purpose (Keep it as wlp5s0 just to keep it blank):

${color4}Network:  ${hr 1}
${color}Public IP: ${exec curl -s www.icanhazip.com}
${color}Traffic Graphs: ${hr 1} ${if_existing /proc/net/route wlp5s0}
Inbound ${alignr}${downspeed eth0}kb/s
${downspeedgraph eth0 10,250 242424 101115 -t}

tink-conky-altered

Thanks for that. I gave it a go but it didn't work. The internal ip stopped displaying (before I tried your code) and now nothing will make it come back. Gah!

I think I just need to remove the internal ip using Aravisian's suggestion.

So I added your code:

${color}Public IP: ${exec curl -s www.icanhazip.com}

${color1}Traffic Graphs: ${hr 1} ${if_existing /proc/net/route wlp4s0}
${color}Inbound ${alignr}${downspeed eth0}kb/s
${downspeedgraph eth0 10,250 242424 101115 -t}
Outbound ${alignr}${upspeed wlan0} kb/s
${upspeedgraph wlan0 10,250 D6E8F2 14345B -t}
${else}
${color}Network disconnected${else}${endif}${endif}

It successfully removed internal ip without breaking the conky. BUT, now the Traffic Graphic isn't working. It remains at 0B kb/s

noupload

I had the extra in there from the Tink-Test conky I formulated...

Please revert it back to your original and only change:

I am sorry - I was not very clear on that.

wlp4s0 is from my code, thats my wifi, @Tink i think should use eth0 instead

Lol. No we share the same wifi addy :wink:

weeefeee neighbors! :laughing:

1 Like

Hmm, something is broken. Even when I convert it back to the original script it says I have no internal ip and the traffic graphs remain at 0 kb/s.

When I add in your code snippet, it's still not working.

Then I commented out the Internal IP etc and it still isn't working...
edit: I mean the traffic graphs still aren't working

${color}External IP: ${exec curl -s www.icanhazip.com}
#${color}Internal IP:${if_existing /proc/net/route eth0}${addr eth0}${color3}  LAN${color}
#Inbound ${alignr}${downspeed eth0}kb/s
#${downspeedgraph eth0 10,250 D6E8F2 14345B -t}
#Outbound ${alignr}${upspeed eth0}kb/s
#${upspeedgraph eth0 10,250 D6E8F2 14345B -t}
#${else}
#${addr wlan0}${color3}  WLAN${color}
${color}Inbound ${alignr} ${downspeed wlan0} kb/s
${downspeedgraph wlan0 10,250 D6E8F2 14345B -t}
${else}

I just don't get what's not working here.

I

Hit enter key once after the traffic graphs alteration to separate it from Inbound by one one space...
I am not even crossing my fingers but...
Earlier you mentioned that removing that one space seemed to have the wrong effect.

This is a funky script.
Also, be sure to completely reset the conky.

EDIT:
Below, I am posting the Original Conky script from QNRBconkyrc for Reference

${color4}Network:  ${hr 1}
${color}External IP: ${exec curl -s www.icanhazip.com}
${color}Internal IP:${if_existing /proc/net/route enp0s25}${addr enp0s25}${color3}  LAN${color}

Inbound ${alignr}${downspeed enp0s25}kb/s
${downspeedgraph enp0s25 10,250 242424 101115 -t}
Outbound ${alignr}${upspeed enp0s25}kb/s
${upspeedgraph enp0s25 10,250 242424 101115 -t}
${else}
${addr wlan0}${color3}  WLAN${color}
Inbound ${alignr} ${downspeed wlan0} kb/s
${downspeedgraph wlan0 10,250 D6E8F2 14345B -t}
${else}

Lamo. We bonded now.

Of course I'd pick the funky script... I've managed to get it working again. It had code conflicts between eth0 wlan0 and wifi. Once I replaced those with my wifi and VPN it all smoothed out.

Thanks for the original copy. I learned long ago to always save the original and work on a copy. :wink:

You have the heart and patience of a saint, Aravisian. Yourre a treasure in these forums. Truly. Thx for everything!

1 Like

Does that mean everything is fixed, now?

I promote conky so often, I figure I damn well back it up...

Yep, finally. Had to switch out all eth0 to my VPN proton0 then change all wlan0 to my wifi wlp4s0. Now it all works whether on wifi or VPN and the Internal IP displays properly inline too... by some mysterious magic.

Translated, it's a funky script so anyone who is a noob may want to choose a better conky.

Ha! True dat. That's why I tagged you on this.

Have you considered offering some links to easy and/or working conkys for folks that you like? I'm sure others would have links to contribute as well.

Finding good conkys is a difficult task. But that said, I think you already have your hands full.

I'll mark this as solved. :pray:

1 Like

There aren't many of those...

But I have no qualms about providing useful links to the public at large. IF I know the good links.

Conky... is a funny animal.
I no longer look for them - when I want a conky, I just write my own. I've provided my own to others a few times, or written conky for others... I am no expert or anything. Enough to suit my needs. I have not even yet bothered learning lua.
And the reason why is this thread.

Conky is great. It really is. It is useful, informative... It can even be a lifesaver. Seeing how much RAM is used or network activity or CPU percentages at a glance...
It's great.

Setting up someone else's conky is not always so great.
And due to changes made in Conky... that no one seems to feel fit to actually PUBLISH what changes were made... You run into these teething troubles. No matter what site you get them from.

1 Like

Oh my! That was such a typo!

No, I did not mean "for people you like" Oh, lmao. I meant, for people who like or want to try Conky! Dear God I must proof read before sending... or lay off the Whiskey in the afternoon, lol.

This is exactly what I meant. Maybe a thread of link and/or scripts sharing or even code snippet sharing ... with a disclaimer to use and try without expectation that it'll work... bc it's Conky is so finicky.

Could be fun as I really do love Conky too. I'm sure there are other willing to contribute. But I definitely agree with everything else you said. I'd tried Conky last yr with Lua and was overwhelmed. Every widget would break. Just a disaster. Am going to give it another go tho. Maybe I'll even have something worthy to contribute soon.

1 Like

What makes that typo even better was my grumpy axe response to it.

I agree that a thread or even a subforum devoted to conky would be very useful.
Even with Beginner Steps like finding your Wifi or Ethernet ID or allowing permissions to the HDD for temp reading and the various other tweaks that a person must do to get a pre-made script working right.

I will try pressuring the ZorinGroup about this and other Forum Issues...
Not sure how much standing I will have, given that as a Moderator, I just totally skirted the Word Filter which I hypocritically tell other users to never do...
Of course, if they axe me about it, I will deny everything.

1 Like

bwahaha... always deny...

Anyone can start a thread, ya? Don't need Z's permission for that. Perhaps if enough interest is shown in it then Z would be agreeable to including it as a subforum.

LOVE the beginner tips. That would really rock. Truly. I will contribute, for sure.

I think a conky guide in the customization section would be helpful. Just a how to setup and install a basic config.

I think my issue with one thread - it would get long and meander all over the place. It would be hard to find what a person is looking for and hard to follow.
It's like those Youtube Tutorial videos... You know, you just want to do One Little Thing... You launch the video and someone talks for twenty minutes about the history of the problem... their feelings about the problem and then finally get around to starting to show you how to fix it, which they seem to take forever doing as they stop to explain every tangent along the way... 15 or 25 minutes into it, you finally get to the One Small Simple Thing you needed in the first place.

Agreed, that alone would be a great thing to have.