How do you fix those details that zorinOS have?

I've tried several linux distributions, based on debian, arch, and ubuntu however at most I've only spent 1 whole week maintaining the same OS, so I haven't experienced enough to hate any distribution. However, I plan to use zorinOS as my main distribution, and I would like to know how you have solved those small details that the zorin ones need to polish, please. Thanks.

What details? Not that they don't exist, but it depends on each person.

8 Likes

Hey, good. I expected this comment, in terms of details it encompassed everyone. For example, if in your case zorinOS had a bad performance in terms of battery life which applications you used. The same in terms of customization, which extensions or themes you installed to be satisfied with the result. Mmmm, video games some glitch or bad experience when using windows applications from wine. I know that there are things that can depend on the machine, but it wouldn't hurt.

There could also be the NVIDIA driver version that is more optimal for X or video game if the default version is bad for you.

It seems that this is a very wide Range Type of Question. You can use Gnome Extensions and with that You have a lot of Possibilities to tweak and add Stuff beneath normal Programs.

And on the Customization Part with Themes and Icons there are even more.

To name you 2 Places:

For Extensions: https://extensions.gnome.org/
There you could take a Look on it. For managing an install I personally perfer the Extension Manager which you can find in the Gnome Software Store.

For Theme Stuff: Gnome-look.org
There You can find all kind of Theming Stuff.

1 Like

I suggest using the forum's search feature to look for particular issues and how they were addressed in the past. It makes little sense to simply dump everything that has ever been said in here, and hope for the best.

1 Like

With regards to power issue:

Regarding games, have you ever used Steam, Proton, Lutris? Most of my gaming is on a PS4 Pro. I only play Wesnoth and AisleRiot Soltaire on GNU/Linux.

I agree. This thread is vague to the point of being a disservice.

@mahito, please specify a topic that you believe needs fixing or modify your thread to ask users to summarize their experience.
As it is currently, a catch-all thread filled with solutions to every experienced problem would be confusing and exceptionally difficult for any user to sift through to find solutions to.

I'm not sure how much of a change does this make, but on the login screen select the Xorg session (the default is wayland). This may save some problems in the future. Though, for general web browsing on a laptop with firefox, I would actually recommend wayland, because of the 1:1 touchpad gestures for firefox being implemented in wayland only (that is, assuming you don't have a NVIDIA GPU or don't mind switching to integrated Intel/AMD graphics when not gaming)

That depends a lot on your specific laptop... Sure, there can be done optimizations to a distro or even use a lightweight desktop environment, but if the version of the kernel used doesn't properly support your hardware, chances are battery life will be bad. As of now, Zorin uses the 6.5 kernel, probably will jump to the 6.8 kernel when ubuntu 22.04.5 releases I think next month. If battery on Zorin turns out to be worse than on ubuntu 24.04, you could check again when this update arrives.

But in any case, there are two advices I can give:

1. Install TLP so the system will manage energy efficiency better:
sudo apt install tlp
  1. In Zorin and other distributions, you could use an extension that allows you to set CPU speed limits - doing that gives around 4-5 extra hours of battery on my laptop. I don't remember the name, but what it did was show an icon in the taskbar that you could click on and get a big window that allows you to do that and it should remember your preferences after reboots. In distributions without gnome, this can be easily done with cpupower-gui, but it would need to be manually set upon every boot (at least as far as i know)

That really depends on personal preferences. There are people who are very happy with how Zorin looks out-of-the-box, there are people who use the blur my shell extension for extra customization on gnome's application menu (not zorin's start menu). There are people who use conky for adding widgets to the desktop. And then you can also find people disabling some of Zorin's extensions to have a closer-to-vanilla gnome experience.

Since this is more about personal preference and it's very complicated to give advice on that, I would suggest looking through extensions from the gnome extensions website and then installing the ones you like, just as Ponce-De-Leon suggested

That really depends... for windows games, games may be fully supported, may work but with graphical glitches, may not work at all, or may have anti-cheat that doesn't allow linux users to play certain online games (like fortnite). It really depends on the specific ganme, and there's also the possibility of games that don't work today, working on a future wine release. One thing that I know is that I have seen people in other places saying that games installed with the flatpak version of steam don't launch, whereas the same games but using native version of the steam launcher downloaded from the steam website work, so I would suggest using the debian version of steam, not the flatpak and even less the snap.

As for the games themselves, this website offers information of wheter a game works or not and sometimes you can even see workarounds used by people to have the games that don't run well work properly

There's also steam deck compatibility ratings in the games's page in steam itself, as the steam deck runs linux, so other than the "text may be too small to read" and "this game sometimes may show keyboard and mouse", the other information refers less to the steam deck specifically and more to linux in general