How To Add New Connection in GUI Network Connections

I am a totally frustrated newbie. I have an Acer Netbook that had working WiFi under Windows 10. The WiFi is seen and it will list access points. But, it does not show in Network Connections. I deleted the blacklist file that had all Atheros Qualcomm Wireless blacklisted. Anyway, I tried to use Add New Connection in the GUI and couldn't get the "Save" button to activate. Is there a tutorial on what has to be entered to get the "Save" button to activate? I mean SSID, Password and automatic DHCP should be enough? How do I fix this?

Can you please post the terminal output pf lshw -c network to examine which wifi driver you need?

1 Like

Note: the Acer Netbook is a 32 bit install with an Atom Processor.
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
logical name: wls1
version: 01
serial: 00:24:2c:8b:4d:b5
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath5k driverversion=5.4.0-87-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
resources: irq:16 memory:97100000-9710ffff
*-network
description: Ethernet interface

Have you enabled the module using modprobe?

sudo modprobe ath5k

I am not sure if enabling with modprobe as above was the trick or if I had been entering too many parameters in the add new connection. WiFi

But, it is working! And, I appreciate the response as quickly as it has happened.

Well, I thought it was working, apparently, I still have some information to add as it is still requesting a WiFi network adddress.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.