How to boot from USB on Asus TUF A17

Yes, you can remove the Windows drive and install Zorin on the other drive. Then, reconnect the Windows drive, but boot into Zorin. In the Zorin OS; open a terminal and run

sudo update grub

before trying to boot Windows.

BUT- you do not NEED to remove the Windows drive to install and since I believe you said this is a Notebook PC, you may prefer to not disassemble the Notebook. In this case, with both drives connected, boot into your USB copy of Zorin and choose the installer.
You will need to choose the "Something Else" method. This will open a disk manager, within which you can choose sdb as your installation drive. You can ensure that the sdb you choose is the HDD and not the USB Stick by looking at its Size.

I cannot install Windows on a drive and then install Zorin on another in order to create and post helpful screenshots. I have also tried searching the web for a similar guide that has screenshots, but have come up empty handed.

Another option may be to catch one of us online and you post pictures of your screen as you go so we can confirm or verify the next step as you go through the steps to ensure everything goes smoothly.

thks. Let me see and revert back.

1 Like

I have an Asus (notebook?) with 3 SSDs

1. with Windows 10, 512 GB Micron 2210 PCIe NVMe
  2. one free for Zorin 128 GB Patriot PCIe NVMe
  3. data 2 TB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5 inch

here is what I see in the “something else” option

and here in the “Device for boot loader”

I want to have Zorin on the full disc 2 Patriot 128GB
I want W10 to be the default OS, if I want to use Zorin I must select it

I do not want Zorin to be installed on same drive as W10

if I want to uninstall Zorin I want to do it easily without disturbing W10 and wihtout if possible removing the SSD.

thank you

…so based on my understanding so far and based on my goal for the install I must choose /dev/nvme0n1 and absolutely not /dev/nvme1n1 (which seems to be c:)…nor /dev/sda which seems to be the data drive…correct?

but which one should I use?

/dev/nvme0n1 ?
/dev/nvme0n1p1 ?
/dev/nvme0n1p2 ntfs ? I imagine this one with the size?
free space ?

if I am correct with the above and based on the fact that I did only one partition I am just wondering what are the other in /dev/nvme0n1…?

I imagine that /dev/sdb is the bootable USB key with Zorin?

then…for the boot loader… I have no idea on what reason should I choose 1 drive (1 partition?) more than an another one and what implies a choice once done…

will highly appreciate clear and complete answers for all those points

thks

1. Stay on /dev/nvme0n1 as “Device for boot loader installation”.
  2. Delete all partitions (p1, p2, etc).
  3. Read this: Partitioning during installation

thank you…what about other questions…?

Can you rewrite your questions in numbered format? I’m having a bit of difficulty following which ones are unanswered.

…so based on my understanding so far and based on my goal for the install I must choose

/dev/nvme0n1 and absolutely not /dev/nvme1n1 (which seems to be c:)…nor /dev/sda which seems to be the data drive…correct?

but which one should I use?

/dev/nvme0n1 ?
/dev/nvme0n1p1 ?
/dev/nvme0n1p2 ntfs ? I imagine this one with the size?
free space ?

if I am correct with the above and based on the fact that I did only one partition I am just wondering what are the other in /dev/nvme0n1…?

I imagine that /dev/sdb is the bootable USB key with Zorin?

then…for the boot loader… I have no idea on what reason should I choose 1 drive (1 partition?) more than an another one and what implies a choice once done…

will highly appreciate clear and complete answers for all those points

1. Correct.
  2. Answered in Q1. /dev/nvme0n1
  3. Partitions on /dev/nvme0n1
  4. I don’t know what key you’re referring to. If you mean the installation medium, then it may be. If the only 3.9 GB drive you have is the USB you’re using to install Zorin then it would be so.
  5. Since you already have Windows on another drive, I recommend using: https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ - run this from Windows and you can set boot priority from there.
    As for Zorin, you still need to install grub, and that will be on /dev/nvme0n1
    For more details, I recommend Partitioning during installation
1 Like

One more thing. If you’re installing on a separate drive and have an OS on the other drive, you don’t need a USB or DVD. Do this:

1. Boot into your Windows.
  2. Install https://unetbootin.org/
  3. Run it and under “Type” change from USB to Hard disk.
  4. Browse to the image on your hard disk.
  5. On your next boot you will get to select Unetbootin at the boot manager - select it and it will install Zorin - then use the Something Else option.
1 Like

Brilliant, Carmar. I never thought of doing it that way.

thank you

so for the boot then if I am correct I have at least the choice between

GRUB
EasyBCD
unetbootin

...with "security" in mind what would be for you the more secured choice to go and why?

By "security in mind" I mean:

• the system that will less likely cause me trouble on the long term and prevent me to boot the W10
  • the system that in the eventuality an issue occure is more easy or more fast to resolve
  • and finally the system that allow me to uninstall Zorin if I want so in the most easy way (without removing the SSD) and realloacte easily the SSD for "general windows storage use"

thank you

Unetbootin is an alternative to Balena or Rufus.
When you boot with a dual boot system, the boot manager asks you Windows or Zorin, EasyBCD helps you manage the choices.
GRUB is the linux bootloader - it is not a choice.

In sum, you can choose Unetbootin/Balena/Rufus. You can choose use EasyBCD/not-use-EasyBCD.

The outcome is the same whether you use any of these applications or not.

so if I correctly understand I have the following options

1. grub anyway
  2. any 3rd party soft such easybcd/unetbootin etc

?

Then does easybcd offer same service as unetbootin/balena/rufus or they are other things?

unetbootin/balena/rufus - These are etchers; they create a Bootable Media from an ISO. They do not manage the boot, they merely create a media that is able to boot.
easybcd - This does not create a bootable media- but instead manages bootable media, allowing the user choice over what to boot.

thks…!

I start now to have more precise ideas…

then…between grub and easybcd which one would you recomment for security as mentioned above and maybe easy of use, covenience, stability etc and also in case of need to revert back by removing Zorin and release the sdd for regular windows data use?

What precisely do you mean by security?

I have never used Easybcd, so I cannot vouch for its abilities in what you require.
In reading the liturature on Easybcd, it looks viable for what you want.

I believe that it does not matter much, the method that you use. You could use Easybcd or use a regular boot menu… What matters most is only How Confident you are in that method.
You say, “easy to use.” But I wonder if what you mean is, understandable to you to use.

I would strongly encourage you to choose Zorin Lite to explore and experiment with. It is more user friendly with settings easily findable and applied.
Zorin as a distro is very easy to install and to use. It is easy to “remove” if you want. You need only delete that partition in any partition manager and then reformat the drive as you wish.
Zorin does not use a Registry nor does it ever need defragging. Perhaps you are familiar with Windows and how ‘tenacious’ it is. But Zorin does not grow roots into the drive and refuse to let go in the ways Windows does. You have Full access to all parts of the Zorin OS system.

You have an isolated and empty drive just waiting for you to try out Linux. What do you have to fear? Whether you choose to use EasyBcd or Grub or MBR or UEFI, you must learn each, so what difference does it make?
What matters most is how comfortable you are with it.

EDIT:
Additionally, you have other safe options to Explore Linux and Zorin without a direct installation, if you want to build confidence.
You can run Zorin in Virtualbox or VMWare.
You can create a bootable USB stick of Zorin with Persistence (This means it saves your session so that each boot is not a fresh new start.) This has the downside of being throttled through the bottleneck of the USB port, creating a very sluggish system (Again Zorin LITE if you got his option).

1 Like

I absolutely do not want to mess up my laptop…this is my tool for work currently (work from home) among other reasons…

and my approach for things I do not know is to balance risks and if possible understand as much as possible where I go and if possible prepare me as much as possible…

so…based on all what has been written so far I will not go for to unetbootin/balena/rufus…I already have a bootable USB. No need to involve an another 3rd party soft which will anyway bring me at some point at the same choice to do during the installation…

then…I will install it using “something else” option

there I will select /dev/nvme0n1 for the installation AND for the “Device for boot loader installation”.
I will also delete the other partitions under /dev/nvme0n1

then once the installation is finished I will launch the command sudo update grub which should allow me to setup W10 as 1st OS to boot…

Am I ok like that?

thks