How to connect internet using DSL or broadband connection

I have username and password given me ISP. I cannot find any DSL configuration. How to connect internet? It works on win7.

See the post with three votes here:

I checked it but don't understand how to connect. Please give me the start command in terminal.

If you follow the link and scroll down you'll see the command that will give you a popup to configure the connection.

Linux is a learning curve and you are the only one that can fix your issue... we can only suggest resolutions. It's up to you to implement them. The answer was provided... you have to do something now.

It is not recommended to connect directly to your DSL modem (ie: set up PPPOE on your computer), as that gives you no hardware packet-inspection firewall and no Network Address Translation (NAT) which protects your computer... you're live on the internet with your computer having a WAN IP address, not a LAN IP address... if your computer's software firewall goes down, you're completely exposed (unless the DSL modem comes with a built-in hardware firewall... mine didn't, so I put the DSL modem into Bridge Mode, set up the DSL connection settings in the router downstream of the DSL modem, then connected to the router via WiFi... so I have two hardware firewalls (double-NAT'd) and the software firewall on the computer to protect against hackers.

DSL modem --> wired router --> WiFi router

This wasn't done on a whim... having fought some of the largest online organized crime outfits on the planet at the time, this setup was the only way I could keep them out of my computers (I honeytrapped them on the first subnet, recorded everything, and forwarded it to the FBI as evidence in the growing court case against them for running massive botnets to spam from and to host their illicit websites, illegal online gambling, selling counterfeit merchandise, promoting mortgage refinancing scams, selling stolen credit card numbers and other personal information, selling counterfeit and illegal pharmaceuticals, selling all manner of p o r n ranging from s n u f f to a n i m a l to c h i l d).

So if you've got a simple DSL modem (without a packet inspection firewall, without WiFi), go buy a WiFi / router combo, hook it downstream of your modem, put your DSL modem in Bridge Mode, put the DSL PPPOE connection settings in the router (not the DSL modem), enable the router's firewall, and connect to it via either CAT6 cable or WiFi.

You'll thank me when the next zero-day exploit rolls out and you're not hit by it.

If your DSL modem does have a packet-inspection firewall, enable it, put the PPPOE connection settings into the DSL modem's settings (there should be a local subnet web page to configure it, something like https://192.168.1.1 or similar), and connect your computer to the DSL modem via DHCP or static IP address.

My DSL modem came with a yellow sticker on the bottom showing the local subnet configuration web page and the default password... if yours does, too, be sure to change the password and record it.

1 Like

Thanks man. I got this problem

Forget about trying to connect by setting up PPPOE on your computer.

Plug your computer into the DSL modem and find what the local subnet configuration page is for the DSL modem (it should be on a sticker on the bottom of the DSL modem, or in the user manual provided with the modem).

Your computer will connect to the DSL modem via DHCP, you'll open a browser and type in the local subnet configuration address for the DSL modem, you'll type in the password to access the modem's settings, you'll set up the PPPOE settings in the modem's settings, and you should be good to go.

The further advantage of doing it this way is that you can then connect more than 1 computer... if you set up PPPOE on your computer, it's got the WAN IP address, so it's the only thing that can connect. If your DSL modem has PPPOE set up in its settings, it has the WAN IP address, and your computer, your cell phone, your network printer, your IoT devices all have LAN IP addresses and all can connect to the internet (up to ~252 devices, depending upon the modem).

If you still can't get it to connect, you might have to assign your computer a static IP address temporarily that is on the same subnet as the DSL modem... but I can access both my wired and wireless routers and the modem (each on their own subnets) from the third subnet.

My setup:
Internet <-->(WAN IP Address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) Modem (192.168.1.1) <--> (192.168.1.2) Wired Router (192.168.10.1) <--> (192.168.10.2) Wireless Router (192.168.100.1) <--> computers (192.168.100.x)

You'll note that the modem and the routers have two IP addresses... one for the internet (Wide Area Network)-facing side, one for the Local Area Network-facing side. They typically refer to them as WAN and LAN IP addresses, respectively.

In your case, your DSL modem will pick up its WAN IP address via PPPOE (which you configure in the modem's settings), and the devices (computers, printers, cell phones, etc.) downstream of that will pick up their LAN IP addresses automatically from the DSL modem via DHCP.

So, for the simplest example of your configuration:
Internet <--> (WAN IP Address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) DSL Modem (192.168.1.1) <--> computers (192.168.1.x)

You can put an ethernet hub or (preferably) switch downstream of the DSL modem if you want more wired connections than the DSL modem has ports, or a WiFi router if you want wireless connections.

For a WiFi setup:
Internet <--> (WAN IP Address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) DSL Modem (192.168.1.1) <--> (192.168.1.2) WiFi router (192.168.10.1) <--> computers (192.168.10.x)

Or your DSL modem might already have WiFi capability, in which case, the simplest example would be what you've got, just with some of the connections via WiFi and some via CAT6 cable.

If you decide to get a (wired or WiFi) router and put the PPPOE settings into the router settings and put the DSL modem into Bridge Mode:
Internet <--> DSL Modem (Bridge Mode) <--> (WAN IP Address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) Router (192.168.1.1) <--> computers (192.168.1.x)

I have separate wired and WiFi routers because I don't like equipment which mixes functions... one hardware failure and the whole thing goes in the trash, and your network is down. At least with separate wired and WiFi routers, I can rejigger it to get a connection until I can replace the failed router.

If you put your DSL modem into Bridge Mode, you'll lose the ability to access its settings (until you reset it by pressing the little recessed reset button with a paperclip), so don't do that unless you've got a router you can connect downstream to put the PPPOE settings into.

I'm not running DSL now, that's my old setup that I ran for years and years until about a year ago. Now I have a cable modem, but the same equipment downstream of that.

I don't have modem I have epon onu.

The same should apply, no matter what your ONT/ONU (Optical Network Terminal / Optical Network Unit) or modem is. Especially if you've got a fiber connection, you wouldn't want to use PPPOE-on-computer, as that limits you to only being able to connect that computer. Connect your ONT/ONU to your router and you can connect as many devices as you've got, or enable DHCP on the ONT/ONU and set up an ethernet hub or (preferably) switch for wired CAT6 connections, or a WiFi router for wireless connections to all your devices (if your ONT/ONU doesn't already have WiFi capability).

Here's a user manual for an ONT/ONU:

That'll give you an idea of how to get it set up... it should be pretty much the same for all ONT/ONUs.

Thanks for all. I am sorry to say I could not figure it out. I have created DSL connection but don't know how to connect.

"Plug your computer into the DSL modem and find what the local subnet configuration page is for the DSL modem (it should be on a sticker on the bottom of the DSL modem, or in the user manual provided with the modem)."

I found the IP but was not connected to a web browser. I mean doesn't work or display anything. But it works in windows.

I can't really help you remotely, as you've got too many terms and concepts confused. You're still attempting to set up PPPOE-on-computer, when you should be setting it up in the ONT/ONU settings. Even should you get PPPOE-on-computer set up, you'd still have to set the ONT/ONU to Bridge Mode, which isn't something that people who aren't familiar should be doing. It lowers your security because you only have a single software firewall keeping out the bad guys, you have no NAT (Network Address Translation) and hardware firewall.

I suggest you seek local help. Tell them you want your PPPOE connection set up on the ONT/ONU (ie: the 'modem'), and you want DHCP set up on your computer. They'll get it done in no time.

1 Like

if I use a wireless router, solve this problem?

Crosslink:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.