How to create a Web-Url to Desktop?

I recently installed zorin 16 from 15.3 lite and wondering how to create a website url to desktop which was easier to do while in lite version? While in lite I can right click in the desktop and create a web url by selecting the drop-down menu .
In 16 If I drag and drop the url from edge to desktop it creates a html file and while doing the same in firefox nothing happens.

16 Core or 19 Pro ?

On my 16 Pro 'drag n drop' works just fine for both FF and Edge

On 16 core.

Yes, it works on 16 core. I have tested it. You will get a html file after dragging and dropping it to desktop. The website opens up when you open it.

1 Like

Yeah,the website opens up but when I rename the html file I don't get the website.

You will get the website even if you rename it.

2 Likes

What happens if you open the file with a text editor?

I tested it as well...It works.

I can see that you (@Shyam ) are using edge...
Did you know that you can create a shortcut for a webpage in the desktop using edge? You can also rename the shortcut while creating it..

P.S I am not sure if this works in the Linux version of Microsoft edge. It worked in Windows.

1 Like

I tested it.
It does not work in Linux version of Edge.

3 Likes

Microsoft should move away from Linux. Keep their cr ap in Windows. They never cared about Linux, why do they now ? :thinking:

Tux...stop them.

2 Likes

Simple .... I think they realize that the may just have shot themselves in the foot with this Win 11 ■■■■ .... if they think millions of people are going to rush out and buy new computers when support for Win 10 goes kaput they are sadly mistaken .... I look for a lot to come to Zorin or Mint rather than spend big money for new machines just to keep Windoze .... some of the sheep will of course ... as they follow their holy grail dozie doe 11 .... but many like me will see the hand writing on the wall and say "Bye bye you money grubbing leaches" ... LOL

5 Likes

@Michel LOL love the image..I'm still chuckling just thinking how much I wish a big hole was right through the M$ character. Wait a minute there is a hole it's called virus!

2 Likes

Yeah, My mistake I took away the .html from the name. now i can get the website. Is it not possible to create such thing without the .html part from the name also how can i change the icon ? Is these things possible to do?
Thanks

2 Likes

Maybe not the suggestion you want but I found this..

This app is meant for Linux Mint but you can also use it on Zorin:

This tutorial should work in Zorin OS 16 because it is based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

1 Like

Hmm, it is supposed to work even without .html extension. Did you open it with firefox after deleting the .html extension?

1 Like

Strange. It opens up correctly in firefox without the .html part but not in ms edge. I use MS edge as my default browser and want it open sites. Any workaround to make it open in MS edge without the .html part and also any idea about how to change the icon of it?
Thanks

This is just awesome ! @Elegant_Emperor , I was hoping for a tool like this ! Super handy to use
Thanks you for this wonderful suggestion

2 Likes

Strange. It opens up correctly in firefox without the .html part but not in ms edge. I use MS edge as my default browser and want it open sites. Any workaround to make it open in MS edge without the .html part and also any idea about how to change the icon of it?
Thanks

Right-click on the file, select properties and then click on the icon. Then you will be allowed to navigate to the icon you wish. The icon may or may not change instantly, in my case the changed icon was visible in nautilus but not in desktop. So I had to restart to make it change.

3 Likes

This is only a guess but I feel like it might be a chromium issue as other chromium based browser like brave cannot open it.

1 Like