How to eliminate password demands?

I do not want to have to enter my password every time I try to do something or make any changes. I have read as much as I can find on how to do this and have tried the following edit in terminal: sudo visudo and then my password.: * Then, search for %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL and replaced the line by %admin ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL. Thanks to some excellent help here on the forum, I now know how to save my edits I make in terminal. This edit was saved just fine but I still get asked for my password many times like when installing new software or deleting software I will never use, I have to enter it for each one I want to remove which adds up for getting rid of all the gaming stuff and a few other items. No one else but me has access to my laptop and never will and I really want to eliminate my having to type in the password all the time. Does anyone know something that works? Thanks.

I don't...
Much like authenticating on Android or on Windows, or entering in your password when you check email - You must authenticate in order to do anything that affects Root.
This is a security measure. And a catch-22 for everyone.
Some people use the same password on all accounts in order to be able to remember them and not lose access.
But this creates a security hole for all accounts, should anyone get just one of your passwords, they now have them all.

Having a means of removing all authentication on a Linux system would create an exploitable security vulnerability.

What you can do, though, is create an easier PIN for yourself instead of a Password. A four or 6 digit PIN replacing your current password may be more tolerable for you.
You can do this in terminal:

sudo -i

(enter your password, chuckle)
Now, in terminal, run

passwd

This will give a password change prompt.

2 Likes

Thank you. Yes, my current password is 16 digits long and I have similarly long passwords on my other laptop and 2 pcs. It is just annoying as every time I shut the lid for a moment, I have to enter it. So in using the laptop for an hour, I may have to enter it some 10 times or more depending on what I am doing. Changing to a pin would be a lot less secure but waaaay faster and, I suppose more secure than no password at all, ha ha. Thanks for the reply and this tip. I will change it right now.

1 Like

I would argue following a recent, now closed thread, about Linux security compared with other OS's, that if I were to install Zorin on my machine now I would make the installation with the creation of an account named 'Root' or 'Administrator' or even 'Bob'. The account that gets created at point of install has full admin rights - do select password for this account as it is essential for updates and installation of software. Once installed, log in as 'Bob' if you have chosen that name for Admin and create your user name but make them a Standare user - and if you hate passwords, make the standard user able to login without the password - just be aware that doing so means your personal folders will be accessible by others if you decide to do that.

Thank you but, I can already login without a password as I am the admin as far as I know. I was talking about all the other times I have to enter password like for downloading or installing or deleting files or apps. Closing the lid on my laptop also makes me have to enter pw, I was trying to avoid having to do that. Thanks for your reply.

Well you could argue its the price to pay for a secure system? :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.