How to enable Nvidia driver in Zorin OS?

Looks like the drivers are installed, but not enabled..why & how to? (hardware is Huawei MateBook X Pro 2018 with Nvidia GeForce MX150, 2GB GDDR5 )

4ezp8ehrf5p71

I am a bit confused, the screenshot shows the Nvidia-470 proprietary driver in use. The general idea is that the Nvidia Driver only kicks in (using the nvidia Card) during high demand on graphics while the Intel card and intel drives handle Low Demand on the graphics.

1 Like

Try installing Prime Indicator gnome extension - Intel/NVIDIA GPU Switch

3 Likes

I use Nvidia Prime Indicator myself, and I love it!

1 Like

Nvidia Prime is only for 2 video cards ? Intel and Nvidia ?

Correct, if you have two GPU's, which you will if you have an Intel integrated GPU, and then your discreet Nvidia GPU.

2 Likes

I have a 2018 Matebook X Pro. I recommend upgrading to Zorin 16. All my Nvidia driver issues went away when I upgraded. Plus you'll have a better time on Zorin 16 in general

3 Likes

He's already posted a screenshot showing that he has the Nvidia driver selected. But he didn't mention turning on HIGH PERFORMANCE mode in Nvidia X Server Settings. Hopefully he's done that.

1 Like

Open NVIDIA X Server Settings from the menu

2 Likes

Me as gamer did not change that either, games already run great is speed :grin:

Yes I can confirm "Performance mode" was and is enabled.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to install gnome extension, but looks like terminal command selected nvidia with some issues:

pav@Zorin-MBKP18:~$ sudo prime-select nvidia
Info: selecting the nvidia profile
Deleting /lib/modprobe.d/nvidia-runtimepm.conf
Updating the initramfs. Please wait for the operation to complete:
/W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/tgl_dmc_ver2_04.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/skl_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/bxt_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/glk_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/icl_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
Done
pav@Zorin-MBKP18:~$ prime-select query
nvidia
pav@Zorin-MBKP18:~$ 

However the performance is still not good (using CAD) and system shows still UHD Intel. Perhaps the card is selected, but is it actually working? :thinking:

Open your internet browser, and go to Gnome Extensions website.
https://extensions.gnome.org/

If you don't have the browser integration installed, it will say, click here to install it on the main page. Go ahead and install and enable it. This will put an icon to the right of the address bar, it looks like a black paw print.

Use the search box to search for the extension that you want, and then go to it, click the toggle button on the page, a popup will come up asking to confirm installation of extension, confirm to install. Once installed, you will find the extension in the EXTENSIONS menu.

Click :zorin: logo, type extensions, click to open it. Most extensions will have the ability to config them, you will see an icon next to them to config them. Additionally, gnome-tweaks can also be used to mess around with the extensions too.

1 Like

We can also help you with this separate issue if you like. It's a general warning and not critical.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Marked solution. 242