How to Fix Screen Tearing

Just installed zorin os and I can tell there are some problems with the video card. How can I update the intel uhd graphics to the latest version?

Software updater -> Settings -> Additional drivers tab

it only shows nvidia drivers

Before any one of the volunteers can help you, we need more information on your hardware.

Please issue the following command:
lspci
and paste the output in reply.

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 8th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 07)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor PCIe Controller (x16) (rev 07)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 630 (Mobile)
00:12.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH Thermal Controller (rev 10)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH USB 3.1 xHCI Host Controller (rev 10)
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH Shared SRAM (rev 10)
00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless-AC 9560 [Jefferson Peak] (rev 10)
00:15.0 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 10)
00:15.2 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller #2 (rev 10)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH HECI Controller (rev 10)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake Mobile PCH SATA AHCI Controller (rev 10)
00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH PCI Express Root Port #9 (rev f0)
00:1d.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH PCI Express Root Port #13 (rev f0)
00:1e.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH Serial IO UART Host Controller (rev 10)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM470 Chipset LPC/eSPI Controller (rev 10)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH cAVS (rev 10)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH SMBus Controller (rev 10)
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller [0c80]: Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH SPI Controller (rev 10)
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q] (rev a1)
02:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD Controller SM981/PM981/PM983
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA8171 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

As far as I can tell it is included in the kernel and no need for the additional driver (Zorin 16 is based on Ubuntu 20.04):

1 Like

I am experiencing serious tearing though. Something is obviously wrong with the video card.

To segregate hardware issue from the software issue, you could try other Linux distro in Live session to see it is works better for your system.

No problem in other distro -> it is a Zorin problem
The problem persists -> it is a hardware problem

1 Like

I do have Intel UHD graphics 620 and I don't face any issues as of now. Might be my luck lol :joy:

Can you update your profile so that we can see which version of Zorin you are using? Right now it is showing that you have "none".

I do agree to the fact that there not a single driver update for Intel graphics card, in any Linux distro.

I am not using Zorin, even though when I used to, I used 16 Core Beta version.

I am wondering if we should be looking at the Nvidia card, not the intel graphics...

OP is having problem with Intel graphics card, right?

OP states that they have Tearing. That sounds like Nvidia.
And... It is unconfirmed that it is an intel issue. That sounds like a guess.

This is what the OP says at the start, looks like it is of Intel.

Display is plugged in to intel and not nvidia. This is for sure a software issue because i have no problems on windows

1 Like

Have you restarted your computer and checked?

Ah, OK.
You must really love us :heart: hanging around here as a non-Zorin user :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

First thing i did

1 Like