[How to] Fix "System BootOrder not found" error

After clean install of Zorin 16 on the HP Elitebook, I noticed a following error message appearing during the start up:

System BootOrder not found. Initializing defaults.
Creating boot entry "BootXXXX" with label "ubuntu" for the file "\EFI\ubuntu\shimx.efi"
Reset System

Annoying thing is that it continuously adding an entry to the EFI, requiring clean up with efibootmgr tool.

I finally found a solution for this and I'd like to share it with others who might have this problem.

This procedure is based on a Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzObzq0V25A

1. open terminal, become root
    $ sudo su

2. change directory
    $ cd /boot/efi/EFI

3. backup BOOT directory
    $ mv BOOT BOOT.bak

4. copy the content of ubuntu directory to newly created BOOT directory
    $ cp -R ubuntu BOOT

5. change directory
    $ cd BOOT

6. rename shimx64.efi to bootx64.efi
    $ mv shimx64.efi bootx64.efi

7. reboot

As always, if you have any question please ask.

2 Likes

Your boot order makes use of shimx64.efi. This suggests that you are performing a dual boot with a windows os. Please confirm.

No, it is not a dual-boot setup.
This laptop (HP Elitebook) only has Zorin on it and never had any Windows installed on it.

Just out of curiosity, I also checked the content of cd /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu on my desktop which never had Windows nor dual-boot. (This desktop never had this “System BootOrder not found” error)

ls cd /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu

the output clearly shows shimx64.efi
BOOTX64.CSV grub.cfg grubx64.efi mmx64.efi shimx64.efi

After installing Zorin I found it to work flawlessly, sound, usb, wifi, etc. all worked without problem. The only glitch was booting. A majority of the time it boots but on occasion it stops with a black screen. I launched sudo thunar and reviewed the contents of partition efi. It contained two folders , boot and ubuntu. I selected efi/boot/bootx64.efi which seems to give me the most direct route to launching Zorin. I googled mmx64.efi, grubx64.efi and shimx64.efi and all seemed to be suited to addressing the potential problems with secure boot. I have secure boot disabled as I only have Zorin installed. I look forward to the benefit of your wisdom.

You can use

journalctl --list-boots

to list your boot logs. This will show by date - so you can select the one that is a Failed Boot.
You can then view it with:

journalctl --boot=(The Boot Log Identifier)

So, for example, let's say the log you want is from 2021-06-17 08:00:00 PDT. Look at the beginning of that line and you will see a - minus sign and a one or two digit number, then a space, then a long sequence of letters and numbers. That Long Sequence is the Identifier. You ONLY need the identifier, so yours may look like:

journalctl --boot=bc6a5d7dd94d44e9800cc57d58c1235e

This will print out the log for you to review or to paste on the forum to see if anyone can find a fault that may lead to booting only to a black screen.

I had this problem on the desktop.
I solved it by changing the following 2 settings in BIOS

1. Disable CSM (Compatibility Support Module)*
  2. Change boot order to make the internal drive to be the 1st one to boot**

*Disabling CSM simplifies the boot sequence and reduces the possibility of boot failure.

**This prevents the system trying to boot from other connected drives devoid of OS. This situation could cause a black screen with a blinking cursor (system hang).

1 Like