How to get back to Windows? (Ends with Dual-Boot decision with Kubuntu)

Is it possible to go back to Windows?
Now that I have got two computers....I would like install Windows 10 on my current PC to run Windows-only apps and install Zorin on the PC that my sister gave me (which has better performance) since I daily drive Zorin now. So please guide me.

1 Like

Install the windows OS on your current PC and Zorin on the other PC
simple.

1 Like

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

If it was Windows Pre-installed, you may not even need to activate it (it could be automatic).

3 Likes

you said 'what I want to do', and not 'how to do'. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
I want to know how to install windows...installing Zorin is not a problem

4 Likes

But installing Windows has the same process as installing linux? Just running a bootable flash drive and following some installation procedure?

1 Like

Yup.
Or burn installer on DVD.

3 Likes

yes same process

1 Like

Well that's easier than I thought.

3 Likes

I think you are like my husband.
Sometimes those smart guys think too much :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Change of plans!
I want to dual boot Windows+Zorin.
But I have some questions:

1. Will dual-booting affect performance of either Operating System?
  2. Will I get an option to install Windows alongside Zorin during installation (like the one you get while installing linux distros?
  3. Will I be able to access libraries (documents, downloads, pictures, music) between the two OS?

Well, I use dual booting. Have both ZorinOS16 and Windows installed.

1 - Will not because you will only use one OS at the time.
2 - Yes, this option is offered while installing ZorinOS - if you have installed Windows first, that is.
3 - Yes, while using Zorin, could be a permissions issue, but you will be able to reach the Windows files and while in Windows, I use the app ext2fs which allows me to read only the Linux files (partition)

3 Likes

If I have Zorin installed first? Do I need to remove Zorin completely and install it back?

It won't let you select it if Windows is the second install. As @dasjdoom mentioned Windows first and then Zorin. Back up personal folder of Zorin prior to installing M$ Win - Win.... I can't say THAT DIRTY word anymore!

1 Like

That is a bit unfair of Windows, don't you think?
Windows: eradicates Linux during installation.
Linux: gives you an option to dual-boot.

2 Likes

Isn't that Bill's way? Eliminate the competition at all cost (Stole from Apple and Open Source Linux) and rule the world

1 Like

Lets rewind, because your making it a bit complicated.
What do you have installed at the moment and do you want to keep it as main boot.

1 Like

I should have been clearer...
I did not install Windows yet...Yesterday night, I planned to not install Windows alone but have both Zorin and Windows (dual-boot).

I know what to do now...
Backup my data.
Install Windows.
Install Zorin with dual-boot.
Bring back my data.

2 Likes

Ok, thats clear. Wish u succes. It's not that hard I often format my entire SSD and reinstall both OS's. But also use ZorinOS/Linux as main boot.

2 Likes

Thank you @dasjdoom. I will be doing it tomorrow though...
If there is anyone who thinks that there is something more I should know or if there is any other tip, I am open for ideas. :slightly_smiling_face: