[HOW TO] Install and run Windows apps (using WINE)

You can install many Windows programs in Zorin OS using the Windows App Support component (which uses Wine). However, please note that not all Windows apps may be fully supported.

:warning: Warning

Please make sure you trust the app's source before installing software from third-party sources, as your computer and personal data may be vulnerable to a breach when running Windows apps from unknown sources.

1. Download the app's original ".exe" or ".msi" installer.
  2. Find the ".exe" / ".msi" file in the Files app, right-click on the file and press "Install Windows Application".
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation. If this is the first Windows app to be installed on your system, you will need to press the "Install Windows App Support" button.
    wine

If the Windows app experiences issues during or after the installation with the above instructions, please try installing it with PlayOnLinux. This configures the Windows app compatibility layer to work better with this specific app.

1. Open the Zorin Menu and go to "Wine" > "PlayOnLinux".
  2. Click on "Install" to browse the list of apps available to download and install.
    PlayOnLinux
  3. Select the app you want to install and press "Install".
7 Likes

I’ve noticed some programs require the Microsoft .NET Framework to run, I found that after hours of trying to get SketchUp installed but to no avail. I felt so stupid when I realized it was that simple.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Olive Tree Bible application