[HOW TO] Install KDE (plasma), GNOME, XFCE, Cinnamon, MATE, Budgie, LXQt, LXDE and UKUI Dekstop Environments

For Zorin what you recommend DE?

1 Like

If I am understanding it right...you are asking me which desktop environment Zorin OS should use. I may have misunderstood your question so 🤷.

Personally, I consider Zorin OS a transitional OS for Windows users. When Windows users leave their old operating system, they are in a way 'leaving their comfort zone' and entering in the completely new world of Linux.
Linux newbies need stability and a good experience in Linux otherwise they wouldn't think twice and immediately switch back to Windows.
Gnome Desktop fits this description as it gives more stability and is also user-friendly. Other DEs that I know of can be quite overwhelming and would kill the purpose of Zorin OS. Therefore, I think Zorin OS should continue using gnome as their default DE.

2 Likes

I never thought much of Gnome - I much prefer Cinnamon, now that I have found it.

1 Like

I will go to xfce and Cinnamon but not today.

2 Likes

Oh c’mon, Bourne. There’s no fun like getting drunk and then tweaking a computer. :crazy_face:

PS - unless that’s not alcohol. Then no fun at all.

1 Like

I know that when I wake up next day and wondering what happens here? Some virus :rofl: but sometimes this help really and repair why? Because you forget stress and your mind see a mistakes. :grin:

4 Likes

Nice tutorial brother :heart: @Elegant_Emperor

1 Like

All.
Please note this is a "Tutorial" thread and not a discussion re DE pro's and cons. That conversation is on-going here :wink:

1 Like

Yes. My mistake. This topic is something how to installing diffrents DE Desktop distribution themes and etc?

Top my bro!!

1 Like

But if i install kde, it installs a lower version that Arch does. How can I install the last version?

You are right...You will only get the max version allowed by the base ubuntu version. I will look into it tomorrow. It is night here.

Here's a guide that should help...

According to the guide, you should get most major updates by backporting, so they may be unstable.

Sorry but I did not test this....Because I don't experiment/test on my Zorin OS system...And the computer where I test, has Ubuntu 21.10 which already gets the latest stable updates for Plasma Desktop.

1 Like

I'll test it rn...

Installing KDE ruined my Zorin theme. Any way to fix it?

Use gnome-tweaks to reset all settings to default.

Unfortunately didn't, it's still broken.

Did you ensure all QT / KDE specific applications were removed using Synaptic and Reboot after resetting in Gnome Tweaks?

1 Like

Yes, I've removed all the applications starting with kde* or plasma*. I've also removed any files that contain the word kde in the home folder.

You might check ~/.config/gtk-3.0 and remove anything there that you did not place there.
Or you might just rename ~/.config to .config-bkp. log out and in, and check the themes appearance.