[How-To] Install the latest Nvidia driver on Zorin OS 16 & Pop! OS 21.04

afbeeldingafbeeldingafbeelding

Install the nvidia driver manually on Zorin OS 16 and Pop! OS 21.04:

1. Download the official Nvidia Driver and place it in the home folder

Optional: rename the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-470.82.00.run driver to 1.run. I use 1.run because i don't want to write the whole nvidia name into the terminal.

1. Install the build essential package, those are needed for the nvidia driver.
    In terminal write:

sudo apt install build-essential libglvnd-dev pkg-config

1. Blacklist the Nouveau Nvidia driver otherwise the nvidia driver does not work proper. In terminal write:

sudo bash -c "echo blacklist nouveau > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf"

In terminal write:

sudo bash -c "echo options nouveau modeset=0 >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf"

1. Check if the nouveau driver is blacklisted.
    In terminal write:

cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf

1. If everything is done
    In terminal write:

sudo update-initramfs -u

Step 6 is for Zorin OS 16 users, Pop! OS 21.04 already comes with dkms

1. Install dkms, this is needed so you don't need to reinstall the nvidia driver anymore after a kernel upgrade. Write in the terminal:

sudo apt-get install dkms

1. Now we are going to install the nvidia driver. We switch to text mode. Write in the terminal:

systemctl set-default multi-user.target

1. Now we have to reboot the system. Write in the terminal:

reboot

1. Now we have booted into text mode. Login with your username and password.

2. When your logged in we are going to remove/delete older nvidia drivers. Write:

sudo apt remove --purge ^nvidia-.*

1. When the purge is done write:

sudo apt-get autoremove

Optional 1: The nvidia file is already executable after download in Zorin OS 16 and Pop! OS 21.04, incase it's needed out of the sudden.

chmod +x ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-470.82.00.run

Optional 2: This will uninstall traces of the older nvidia driver. Just to make sure the purge was done correctly.

sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-470.82.00.run --uninstall

1. Install the nvidia driver. Write:

sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-470.82.00.run

1. Follow the instructions (hit everything on yes)

2. When the installation is done we need to have root access, write:

sudo -i

1. Now you have to write this to get your desktop enviroment back:

systemctl set-default graphical.target

1. Now we are going to reboot the system, write

reboot

1. To confirm the driver is working open nvidia x server settings, if the driver is not in use it will open a blank screen. In terminal write:

sudo lshw -c display

1. When the configuration says "configuration: latency=0" you have to disable secure boot in the bios (Zorin OS users).

afbeeldingafbeeldingafbeelding

Update the nvidia driver manually on Zorin OS 16 and Pop! OS 21.04:

Optional: rename the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-495.44.run driver to 1.run. I use 1.run because i don't want to write the whole nvidia name into the terminal.

1. Open up the terminal and write

systemctl set-default multi-user.target

reboot

Optional: The nvidia file is already executable after download in Zorin OS 16 and Pop! OS 21.04, incase it's needed out of the sudden.

chmod +x ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-495.44.run

1. Install the nvidia driver. Write:

sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-495.44.run

1. Follow the instructions (hit everything on yes), the nvidia installer will also delete the previous driver.

2. When the installation is done we need to have root access, write:

sudo -i

1. Now you have to write this to get your desktop enviroment back:

systemctl set-default graphical.target

reboot

2 Likes

afbeeldingafbeelding

Install the nvidia driver manually on Zorin OS 16: (Alternative)

Optional: rename the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-470.82.00.run driver to 1.run. I use 1.run because i don't want to write the whole nvidia name into the terminal.

1. Install the build essential package, those are needed for the nvidia driver. Write in the terminal:

sudo apt install build-essential libglvnd-dev pkg-config

1. Disable Nouveau Nvidia driver, write in the terminal:

sudo bash -c "echo blacklist nouveau > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf"

Write in terminal:

sudo bash -c "echo options nouveau modeset=0 >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf"

1. Check if the nouveau driver is blacklisted, write in the terminal:

cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf

1. After you checked, write in the terminal:

sudo update-initramfs -u

1. Install dkms, this is needed so you don't need to reinstall the nvidia driver anymore after a kernel upgrade. Write in the terminal:

sudo apt-get install dkms

Optional: The nvidia file is already executable after download in Zorin OS 16, incase it's needed out of the sudden.

chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-495.44.run

1. Stop Desktop Manager, write in the terminal:

sudo telinit 3

2. Install the new Nvidia Driver, write in terminal:

sudo bash NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-470.82.00.run

1. Follow the steps in the nvidia setup

2. The Nvidia driver is now installed, reboot with this command:

sudo reboot

1. When you are in Zorin OS 16 check if the driver is actually installed, to check this write in the terminal:

sudo lshw -c display

1. When the configuration says "configuration: latency=0" you have to disable secure boot in the bios.

2. Reboot and your good to go

afbeeldingafbeelding

Update the nvidia driver manually on Zorin OS 16:

Optional: rename the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-495.44.run driver to 1.run. I use 1.run because i don't want to write the whole nvidia name into the terminal.

1. Stop Desktop Manager, write in the terminal:

sudo telinit 3

Optional: The nvidia file is already executable after download in Zorin OS 16, incase it's needed out of the sudden.

chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-495.44.run

1. Install the new Nvidia Driver.
    Write in terminal:

sudo bash NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-495.44.run

1. Hit everything on yes in the installer. (The new driver will delete the older driver)

2. The Nvidia driver is now installed, reboot with this command:

sudo reboot

Nvidia released newer drivers today.

470.82.00 Production Branch: Release Highlights:

Fixed a bug that can cause a kernel crash in SLI Mosaic configurations.
Added support for the EGL_NV_robustness_video_memory_purge 

495.44 New Feature Branch: Release Highlights:

Added support for the GBM API. This adds the new symlink nvidia-drm_gbm.so pointing to the file libnvidia-allocator.so.VERSION to implement a GBM backend driver usable with the GBM loader from the Mesa project version 21.2 and above, as well as the files libnvidia-egl-gbm.so.1.1.0 and 15_nvidia_gbm.json, which implement EGL support for the GBM platform (EGL_KHR_platform_gbm).
Add indicator for Resizable BAR support on compatible systems.
Fixed a bug that could cause the X server to crash when starting a new server generation on PRIME configurations.
Removed support for NvIFROpenGL. This functionality was deprecated in the 470.xx driver release.
Removed libnvidia-cbl.so from the driver package. This functionality is now provided by other driver libraries.
Changed the minimum required Linux kernel version from 2.6.32 to 3.10.
Updated nvidia.ko to load even if no supported NVIDIA GPUs are present when an NVIDIA NVSwitch device is detected in the system. Previously, nvidia.ko would fail to load into the kernel if no supported GPUs were present.
Fixed a bug in the Vulkan driver where unused input attributes to a vertex shader would corrupt the interpolation qualifiers for the shader.
Fixed a bug in the Vulkan driver where individual components of barycentric inputs could not be read.
Added support for the VK_KHR_present_id extension.
Added support for the VK_KHR_present_wait extension.
Added support for the VK_KHR_shader_subgroup_uniform_control_flow extension.
Fixed a bug where VK_NVX_binary_import was advertised as supported on unsupported platforms. This caused calls to vkCreateDevice to fail if applications attempted to enable VK_NVX_binary_import on such platforms. Added a new command line option, "--no-peermem", to nvidia-installer.Selecting this option prevents the installation of the nvidia-peermem kernel module.
Fixed a regression which prevented DisplayPort and HDMI 2.1 variable refresh rate (VRR) G-SYNC Compatible monitors from functioning correctly in variable refresh rate mode, resulting in issues such as flickering.
Fixed a bug that can cause a kernel crash in SLI Mosaic configurations.
Added support for the EGL_NV_robustness_video_memory_purge extension.

Info about the drivers:

Production Branch Production Branch drivers provide ISV certification and optimal stability and performance for Unix customers. This driver is most commonly deployed at enterprises, providing support for the sustained bug fix and security updates commonly required.

New Feature Branch New Feature Branch drivers provide early adopters and bleeding edge developers access to the latest driver features before they are integrated into the Production Branches

11 posts were split to a new topic: Installing latest nvidia drivers comments and issues

Split to keep the informational nature of the topic clean. Please post more updates but reserve comments and issues for the sister thread.

nvidia released a new "Recommend Certified/Production Branch" driver, 470.86

Release Highlights:

• Added a new command line option, "--no-peermem", to nvidia-installer. Selecting this option prevents the installation of the nvidia-peermem kernel module.
  • Fixed a regression which prevented DisplayPort and HDMI 2.1 variable refresh rate (VRR) G-SYNC Compatible monitors from functioning correctly in variable refresh rate mode, resulting in issues such as flickering.

Doesn't this PPA works for latest Nvidia driver?

2 Likes

It does, but some people are impatient for getting the latest and greatest integrated with their current kernel. Hence, this thread.

I'm in no hurry to upgrade kernel or video drivers. I've experienced some woes for being impatient.

3 Likes

I used a ppa before and it made a mess of my system, i was forced to reinstall my system.

If your computer stuck at Zorin splash screen you can try "Advanced" option in the boot section. I can start Zorin with kernel 5.38. Trying to figure out my problem with Nvidia legacy card. https://forum.zorin.com/uploads/default/optimized/2X/3/386b44075b49d3b55d6fafea8012be420ec0be26_2_375x500.jpeg

I think Nvidia driver 390 has some problems with kernel 5.11.