[HOW TO] Perform do-release-upgrade or Direct Upgrade on Zorin OS

Zorin Group company has announced that they are working on a Direct Upgrade path (the do-release-upgrade command) for a major Zorin OS release to the next major release. These are not 'point-releases' but are moving for example, from Zorin OS 15 to Zorin OS 16.

Currently, this is In Development. The process is not yet ready and has not been released nor announced by ZorinGroup.

Zorin OS operates with its own packages and its own repositories and performing steps to attempt to perform a Direct Upgrade prior to the infrastructure and release by Zorin Group will result in

Breaking your System.

This is an often asked about and much hoped for feature. Considering the ZorinGroups attention to detail, security and stability we can all only ask you to remain patient.
Please Do Not attempt to perform a Release Upgrade on Zorin OS until such time as the ZorinGroup Officially announces its availability.
We may not be able to help you to restore your system if it breaks here on the forum.
And you may lose valuable data, time and a non-achy head.

8 Likes

I wonder if will be possible to direct upgradefrom 15 to 16 pro if one has bought it. That would be neat, but might be difficult in practice I imagine.

The ZorinGroup is working on a Direct Upgrade option that will be available to all Zorin OS users, pro and regular alike.
Just remember that as of this date, 28 Aug 2021, it has not been released.

2 Likes

Hello, if zorin os developer team released this feature, it will in available in Zorin 17 or major update?
I hope it will be available in major update, because I don't need to reinstall zorin os again.

Currently, the ZorinGroup hopes to have it released by then.

Hi,
is there an update?
Thanks

1 Like

We haven't heard anything from the dev's regarding the direct upgrade option.

Having said that, we didn't know that the Zorin dev's were working on Zorin OS 16 Education at the time. They literally just released Education a couple days ago.

Now that they have finished and released Education, I am truly hoping, that the Zorin dev's can put all their efforts now into completing the direct upgrade option.

Cause I agree, I am tired of this, erase hard drive, install fresh, and have to redoo all my settings and customization too. Its time for the direct upgrade option to be implemented. POP OS has already had it for I don't know how long now.

2 Likes

Linux Mint, Debian and Ubuntu already have this upgrade ability

Their teams/company are waaay bigger than Zorins two mans team, so have some patience, it will come :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would love to see this feature implemented as well. It's a pain in the.. to backup all the stuff, just to migrate to a newer version.

Hi,
since ubuntu 22.04 will be released in a few days, is there any news about the possibility to upgrade from zorin os 15.3 (ubuntu 18.04) to zorin on 16.1 (ubuntu 20.04) without reinstallation?
Thanks to you