[DEFUNCT] Perform do-release-upgrade / Direct Upgrade on Zorin OS

Hi,
since ubuntu 22.04 will be released in a few days, is there any news about the possibility to upgrade from zorin os 15.3 (ubuntu 18.04) to zorin on 16.1 (ubuntu 20.04) without reinstallation?
Thanks to you

1 Like

Hallo!

Wann wird es möglich sein, ein Upgrade direkt aus Zorin 15.3 auf 16.1 zu tätigen?

Auf diese Möglichkeit warte ich nun schon seit einem Jahr....

Liebe Grüße,

Heiko Garde
-------------------------‐------------
Hello!

When will it be possible to effect an Upgrade directly from Zorin from 15.3 to 16.1?

I wait for this possibility now already for one year....

Greetings,

Heiko Garde

You are not alone.
No development timeframe for this has been published, as far as I know.

1 Like

Hi.

I had to have to carry out to the Zorin OS-Team with the request with regard to a direct upgrade possibility of 15.3 to 16.1 without complete new installation written. In the suspended screenshot you see the pleasing answer.

4 Likes

Great news. I hope to have the chance to update the system sooner rather than later, as an operating system designed about 4.5 years ago is quite outdated.

Hello,
I have just registered on the forum. First of all, I would like to thank the Zorin team for this user-friendly operating system. Secondly, I would like to know if there is any progress on this topic.
Thank you

1 Like

Yes, there has been a lot of progress but currently a release date for this feature is not yet set.
A feature like this requires functionality across a lot of complex aspects of Linux:

• Manufacturer and hardware differences
  • User changes and third party repositories
  • Desktop support
  • Pro support
  • Zorin OS specific packaging

Because of this, extensive testing is necessary to minimize user issues and ensure a good working experience.

4 Likes

News from the Zorin OS-Team:

1 Like

OK. That gives me hope. And let's me wait until the end of the year ...

2 Likes

I am glad to see that while delayed, some progress has been made. This is a feature that we have been waiting 2-years for. I understand that things take much longer to implement, when you only have a 2-person team. I am just happy that the Zorin team haven't given up on us.

When I first installed Zorin OS 16, I was really impressed with the OS as a whole. Its very easy to use, its fairly easy to customize, overall a pretty polished OS that does what I need it to do.

Then Zorin OS 16 got updated to 16.1, which followed some bug improvements, and a few miner changes here and here.

Then now, we are on Zorin OS 16.2, many improvements have been made, but I am hoping that direct upgrade will soon follow. I am on kernel 5:15 now with Nvidia 520 GPU driver, wow how things move fast!

Before we know it, this OS will be up to Zorin OS 16.3, maybe even by spring of next year infact! And then after that, it won't be long before we see Zorin OS 17! Isn't that just so stellar? :blush:

2 Likes

If I remember right they said the same thing last year…

1 Like

Hi,
I will wait until the 31st of December and then update by formatting.

If you format try pop os, that one does have a upgrade feature and have gpu drivers for nvidia bloody fast. Even kernel updates are tested and updated within a few weeks.

Thank you for your advice. If I have to change distro, I will go back to ubuntu mate or debian.

As far as i know ubuntu does not have a upgrade feature either. For debian i am not sure…

All official flavours of ubuntu (I tried x-k-l-mate) have it via sudo do-release-upgrade, at least since the 10.04 version I used.

Yeah via command line i know, i thought you where looking for the gui (like pop os has in settings)

I am sorry if I was not precise. All official flavours of ubuntu (I tried x-k-l-mate) have both GUI and command line upgrade, at least since the 10.04 version I used.

1 Like

Earlier this year I had to upgrade my wife's Pc from MX-Linux 19 to 21.1 following a guide on their forum, it did state that you are always better doing a fresh install. Even rolling updates might hit a glitch. I followed the script and had no errors but I could have been lucky.