How to run a command as a Super User

How to run a command as a Super - User .... I ran a command .... lshw -c display .... it gave me some info but said I should run as a super - user ....

mike@mike-ROG-Strix-G731GT-G731GT:~$ lshw -c display
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile / Max-Q]
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: a1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
resources: irq:150 memory:a3000000-a3ffffff memory:90000000-9fffffff memory:a0000000-a1ffffff ioport:4000(size=128) memory:a4000000-a407ffff
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: UHD Graphics 630 (Mobile)
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 00
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:141 memory:a2000000-a2ffffff memory:80000000-8fffffff ioport:5000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.
mike@mike-ROG-Strix-G731GT-G731GT:~$

I'm having the same problem as another member as I can't choose which driver to use ....

I was using the first choice before I reinstalled Zorin 16 Pro .... my card should not be to old as the laptop is only 3 years old ....

1 Like

I edited the title a bit more descriptive so that it will attracts the attention of other volunteers.

1 Like

Thank you FrenchPress .... yes your wording is definitely better ....

1 Like

sudo lshw -c display

Or

sudo lshw -c video

It's not really a big deal to run that one without sudo, though.

For your graphics drivers:

sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

4 Likes

Again kind sir you never fail to please ....

I did have to move it from the "tested" selection as it listed that first ..... I remember your recommendations from before ....

Thank you problem solved ....

5 Likes

If I may, you may want to bookmark the following:

In tutorials and guides. The search feature of the forum may provide many solutions without requiring new posts.

4 Likes

That is a good idea .... were are the bookmarks ???? .... in my browser or somewhere here on the board ???? .... looked on the board and can't find the bookmark folder ....

1 Like

Click of the tool icon on the message you wish to bookmark.
You will see this:

The 5th icon from the left is the bookmark.
:bookmark:

3 Likes

Thank you .... yes I found that and I did bookmark the topic but how to find the bookmark to open it again .... does it go to my browser or somewhere on the board ???? .... I guess I'm trying to say how do I open the bookmark again .... to early in the morning here .... LOL

1 Like

Click on your Avatar :frog:
Select Activity
You will see the bookmarks on the left pane:

1 Like

Yup .... there it is

homer-simpson-doh-400x288

:rofl: :rofl: ..... Told you it was to early in fact I found 4 more bookmarks I had saved there .... thank you that is my first lesson for today .... LOL

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.