[HOW TO] Update kernel on ZorinOS for better drivers support

So you ran into an issue that's hardware related but your hardware is newer and the issue could possibly be fixed after installing newer drivers and so you need to update your kernel?

Well, here's how easy it is to update your Kernel in ZorinOS:

1. Open up terminal
  2. Type and enter these 3 commands one by one:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tuxinvader/lts-mainline

sudo apt update

sudo apt install linux-generic-5.16

Notice that I have written linux-generic-5.16 but you don't need to install 5.16. You'll have other options available and you can install any kernel version you want. Like 5.15 or 5.17 if available.
To check the available kernels, type sudo apt install linux-generic- and press Tab twice. This will list all the options available to you and you can install the latest kernel if you want.

I hope this can fix driver issues for you, happy hacking :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Thanks mate, I had major issues with an Intel Alder Lake motherboard. This worked like a charm and was able to get the NVIDIA card working so happy days!

3 Likes

Tried as you described, and attempted to install the linux-generic-6.00 kernel (it attempted the latest 6.0.9 kernel). At bootup, BusyBox asked me to manually install some modules, which I didn't know how to do. I rebooted, the Grub menu came up, and I rolled back to the prior installation.

Can't do that with Windows.

I'm now back to:

~$ sudo uname -a
Linux Dell-Inspiron-N7110 5.15.0-53-generic #59~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 20 15:10:22 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

First: Do you need the 6.0 kernel?

Nah, I just wanted to see if it'd install. I knew if anything glitched, Grub would allow me to roll back.

1 Like