I need instructions on how to run a windows program that could be dangerous/potentially malware

Insync is a paid for app, it auto syncs Google drive and OneDrive at least And you can select what files you want to be just local, local and cloud,and cloud only. You can also use it to sync files between multiple computers by selecting which folders sync between them.

There are GitHub scripts and stuff that do the same thing I found them cumbersome and they're not always maintained and updated and they would break when Microsoft or Google would make changes which is why I went with a paid for proprietary solution works for me.

But that's how that works though container is just synced between my desktop Google drive and my laptop. So when I open it edit it save it, it uploads and syncs within a few moments

1 Like

oh ok, i misunderstood you. But yeah, i was told that cryptomator is better than veracrypt because it encrypts each individual file, so it can upload & sync much faster,rather than huge/bulky veracrypt containers. And i was told once veracrypt containers become many GB's large, it becomes horribly slow to download & access,etc.

running windows apps in Linux is very very bad idea. i don't recommend it to anyone.
wine or steam is very very good idea for running windows games not windows apps
all windows apps which u need, u will find alternatives for it in Linux.
if ur job depend on certain windows apps, u should use windows on other pc or doul boot wtih linux.

1 Like

I use Sync.Cloud and it offers encryption. I admit, I have not really used its end to end encryption enough to verify the rankings and reviews on it.
But the reviews are good.

Sadly, this is an exterior problem. And hostility and intolerance toward other beliefs is common in all countries, strongly in my own right now...

As Harvey pointed out; Encryption may help you when the computer is not in use. They are unlikely to break encryption. Rather, they would try to force you to unlock it - which if that is where you are at - you are already in it pretty deep.

But once you unlock the drive and use your computer and access the web... The LUKS encryption is no longer relevant. LUKS prevents access to the drive if the drive is removed or if someone stole your computer. It is relevant for that purpose.

The best advice for handling potentially dangerous testing:

I have used VirtualBox, Gnome Boxes, and others. The result is generally the same. I think Gnome Boxes is the easiest to use.
VMWare is the best supported, but is non-free.

4 Likes

I like gnome boxes I just wish it had more features. This is why I end up going back to virtualBox. In virtualBox I can create a new machine on a different drive partition ECT with a single click and no boxes I had to go change the configuration file it was no easy way to do it per machine on the fly as needed. Things like my DOS box I have that machine saved on a mechanical backup drive as it doesn't need fast disc access. Other VMs are on my steam drive they run in the background as servers. And then I have a few on my root drive but my root has a fast NVMe.

4 Likes

This is very true ..... if you try to enter or leave a country that decides to check your computer because you meet certain criteria and they can't open it due to password or encryption they will ask you to open it ....... if you refuse they can and will either refuse you entry ..... prevent you from leaving their country ..... confiscating your computer or worse yet put you in jail until you do comply .....

One thing they will not do is just let you pass because your computer is encrypted ..... I live in such a country in Southeast Asia .....

3 Likes

Well maybe bottles for windows unsafe app or some embedded. Truecrypt - bank used that's for secure. You can also using cheapest data pc or using pendrive with operating system. Container also could be usefull or some external SSD hard disk. I am not sure what you want using and Tiny Microsoft version 11

1 Like

Veracrypt is an opensource successor to truecrypt when they ended development. which is how i came to use it, though truecrypt has an interesting story they issues a stop update a d cease use due to security vulnerabilities around the application. It is suspected that one of the lead developers was arrested as he had developed and maintained truecrypt for a cartel he worked for and when he got busted for trafficking and racketeering the other developers could not keep up with it. While you can and people still download truecrypt from the official website. i would't touch it with a 10 foot pole, lol its out of date, and the chances that goverments have their fingers in it now its pretty high. Or at least has enough vulnerabilities analyzed to make it useless at borders.

4 Likes

@seanhinkley ,oh wow, i didnt know about any of that, far out. I do know a ton about veracrypt though, despite the fact I havent used veracrypt yet.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.