I'm moving to Fedora

I'll be moving to (Vanilla) Fedora very soon because I wanted a change.
After a recent trial of other distros, I deducted that for me (may not be the same for you):

• Vanilla OS is immutable and uses APX, which I can't seem to get my head around and run some apps (that require installation via APT, such as Unity Hub).

• Debian and Ultramarine Linux both require me to select a boot option before starting (I'm used to the OS starting on its own when I power on the computer).

• OpenSUSE doesn't give me the option to live boot it as I mentioned here.

• And Ubuntu... Let's just say I'm not going back there again because of snapd and how Canonical is planning to prioritise it over DEBs.

We're likely to have different opinions here just like with Ubuntu. Again, like I did when I moved to Ubuntu, I installed a Zorin Virtual Machine on my system.

So yeah.

2 Likes

If you enjoy Fedora I think you will also like Tumbleweed. It has all the goodness that comes from well maintained repositories, but there's no need to keep an eye on when will the current version reach end of life.
It's true, however, that some degree of instability was part of the experience but that's what OpenSUSE Leap is there for. I think you will like it if you give it a try.

I don't remember trying the live usb option but this is probably what you're after, just to get a taste of what is like:

openSUSE Tumbleweed - Get openSUSE -> Click on "Alternative Downloads".

About the boot menu thing you mentioned for Debian and Ultramarine, I'm pretty sure you can change that... somewhere? :sweat_smile:

And be careful, distro hopping is too much fun!

Oh, I didn't realise that there was a live CD for OpenSUSE. Maybe I'll try it on another computer... Thanks Zen, for pointing that out.

I don't see an option. And I don't think it's going to be very easy to change anyway.

I think it goes something along these lines, but please don't take my advise on this one as bootloaders and such still remain a mystery to me.

I have officially installed Fedora on my PC. There was a WiFi problem but I fixed it using

sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager
1 Like

Whilst I have an issue with how to get Virtual Machine Manager working, I am sticking with Antix - no systemd and no Pulse Audio - pure bliss! And it runs live too!

I am on "F" - for me it is ok.

I've just learned that this is controlled by the setting GRUB_TIMEOUT inside /etc/default/grub. Changing it to 0 will boot immediately; the grub screen still flashes while it's loading however, just for a second but it doesn't bother me.

I have Fedora 38 Budgie and have not spent a lot of time with it yet. Be aware that there are many flatpaks in the fedora repository. I haven't found an equivalent or replacement for synaptic leaving only Gnome Software.

2 Likes

Setting the Grub Timeout to 0 can also disable the users ability to reach the Advanced Options... and Recovery menu. There are times when you will need or want to be able to access the grub menu and setting the timer to Zero means you cannot access the grub menu in zero seconds - even if you must access it.

Instead, if you do not want to see the Grub Menu on a non dual boot machine, you can change the Grub File Value for the grub menu to =hidden

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden

Alternatively, set the grub timeout to no less than 3 seconds - which is slow enough that you can watch and react to click a selection but fast enough to tolerate waiting through it better than the default ten seconds.

3 Likes

Yes, good point. I personally don't mind waiting for a bit as long as it boots automatically into the OS, but I remember this thread and wanted to explore. Is there a way to change this value later on if something goes wrong and I can't boot correctly?

@Winged1 I've heard that Budgie development was stalled for a while but it's coming back up once again. Is this using the latest version?
Cool wallpaper btw.

It's one of the default Fedora Budgie wallpapers I think.

1 Like

If you cannot boot without the assistance of accessing the Recovery Menu, then setting the timeout to zero will have effectively painted you into a corner. This often finally results in attempts at data recovery and reinstalling the O.S.
This being the case - you can see why I felt the need to speak up that setting it to zero really should never be done. I grit my teeth at how often I see that "tip" posted in online "help" articles for suggestions on how to Speed Up Boot Time.

1 Like

Sounds like a terrible thing to do then :smiley: I've just switched it back to the default of 5 seconds, just in case.

Yes it is the latest, but a minimal no frills Budgie as compared with Ubuntu Budgie. The wallpaper is a Fedora default. Josh Strobl other contributors have returned to Solus OS and Buddies of Budgie is alive and well.

Cool, I remember using it for a while but then noticed there weren't any updates for so long that I thought wasn't maintained at all anymore. But it was interesting and had quite a few useful customization options. It's always good to see we have alternatives to try out.

Solus is some a data ago a new version after 2 years. Interesting stilo some distribution coming new and in the past.

I have a Solus installation and updated to 4.4 Harmony recently.

2 Likes

I am using Fedora with kernel arch 6.4
Solus i saw is interesting linux distribution.

Interestingly enough, my Fedora release says 6.3.12 according to uname -r.