Installed Nemo but can't find it, just Files(nautilus)

I installed Nemo using Terminal as explained elsewhere but I cannot find it when searching. Supposedly it is set as the default but Files seems to still be the default. I went to install Nemo again but Terminal says it IS installed. What am I missing?

If you want to use Nemo as your default FM copy/paste the following line in your terminal.

xdg-mime default nemo.desktop inode/directory application/x-gnome-saved-search
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons false
gsettings set org.nemo.desktop show-desktop-icons true

Nemo should show up in your App Menu under Accessories. Look if there are two entries that both say "Files" as Nemo is labeled as such the same way that Nautilus is.

If you like, you can change the name from "Files" to "Nemo" by elevating to root

sudo -i

Navigating to the /usr/share/applications directory and right-clicking on its .desktop file and opening with text editor. Under name, change from Files to Nemo:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Files

to

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Nemo

3 Likes

Nautilus(Zorin's preinstalled) and Nemo both labled as Files by default. If you cant find it from app menu then open terminal and type nemo & and hit enter to open it.

The above two posts explains how to set it default and change it's label properly.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.