Installed on a 2nd PC, went fairly well

Got the infamous Dell 3-4 error so swapped and cleaned the memory and it started.

I booted from the thumb-drive to make sure everything worked. But made the mistake of then formatting my HDD. When I installed Zorin on the SSD, my HDD was owned by root and I had to login. So I used my trusty sudo -i nautilus to take control of it.

I was told you could put Home on another drive during installation but couldn't figure it out. So I made alternate folders on the HDD and created a link to them in Home.

I forgot how to prevent login prompt when resuming from Suspend. Finally found it in Privacy.

One good thing, I found a version of Pinta that uses dark mode. Cool.

3 more PCs to do.

BTW, I highly recommend an old Dell OptiPlex 3010 quad-core for $70. Add an SDD for $20 (has a bracket and spare port) and some more memory for $10. For $100 you have a fairly decent PC that will easily run vids full-screen at 1080p (most people's monitor rez).

41I-Oif29HL.AC

Buy two so you can swap out the parts to diagnose any probs. Parts are cheap. These are made to work on. Built heavy. Don't drop it on your foot!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.