UNRESOLVED - Installed zorin 15.3 core but no idea how to connect to wifi

@zabadabadoo ...
a wee while back, you asked me to send you a copy of my laptop specs ...
the url is under this ...

https://specspro.net/laptops/4104-dell-latitude-e7440/?currency=gbp&country=uk/

The title of this thread is ".... no idea how to connect to wifi". I see from the spec of that machine that it has Intel Graphics and a SSD drive, but also "Intel Rapid Start Technology, Intel Smart Connect Technology". I wonder if the latter may cause a "connect to wifi" problem outside Windows. Something to think about alongside the USB creation saga.
@Aravisian have you come accross this Intel Smart Connect gem before?

@mipak Is it true you currently have Z15.3 Core u[ and running, but with no wifi still?
Maybe the Multisystem suggestion (that would allow you to create a bootable USB with multiple Linux OS on it) by Swarf is too much to do.
Do you have, or can you create a bootable USB with Z16 Core?

Also did you look at this information. Before you install

2 Likes

RST - Zab, you're a genius:

That is not yet proven by the OP, so I will hang back for that award. :rofl:

1 Like

I also have these modules on my HP Elitebook, but always have them disabled in BIOS. I've never had any connection issue.

1 Like

@zabadabadoo ...

taken from CARMAR post highlighted from your "before you install"
carmar

Oct '20

====================================
Once you have downloaded the Zorin image :

1. Verify your Zorin download: Methods of downloading Zorin OS - #8 by zabadabadoo
  2. Disable Secure Boot: How to Disable UEFI Secure Boot in Windows 10
  3. Disable Fast Startup: Windows 10 Fast Startup: How to Disable it and Why You Should
  4. Disable bitlocker encryption: [SOLVED] How to disable BitLocker on Windows 10 - Super Easy
  5. If you have Zorin on a USB drive and cannot boot into it (assuming you changed boot order in BIOS):
    a. Confirm that the USB drive is working properly.
    b. Check any cables used to connect to the drive.
    c. Use another computer or USB drive.

Finally, you can try Balena alternatives like Unetbootin and Rufus .

Most of the time, an installation problem is due to one of the following:

1. bad download.
  2. bad media (USB/DVD).
  3. need to change a BIOS setting.
    ==================================

all the above is very familiar from a recent post you sent me which i answered ... in particular, items 2 to 4 didn't apply because i didn't have anything remotely connected to windows on the laptop except zorin ... a & b are both positive ... and the final 1 to 3 were answered accordingly.

just wondering ... are there any other people having similar problems?

the only reason i picked zorin was because it said on their website that it had a number of similarities to w7 which to me, was 'no contest' thus i don't really want to move away from zorin ... also because i rather like the name.

later ....
cheers.

@mipak So have you tried turning off "Intel Rapid Start Technology & Intel Smart Connect Technology" in your BIOS as suggested?

2 Likes

yes ... they were already 'off' ...

mipak, this has been an adventurous thread.
Can you please remind us all where it all stands now?
Are you installing Zorin OS 15.3 Lite or Zorin OS 16 Core?
Where are you in that process and what troubles are currently setting you back?
A ReCap may help a bit.

okay ...
currently, i am still with z15.3 and started this series of posts on the 16th of august originally asking how to get connected to wifi.
can't remember who but someone in the forum suggested i should try z/lite because it might be easier then core 16 was released then someone (else?) suggested i install that instead because it should might solve the wifi problem so i opted for 16.
with loads of posts going back and forth, i think i'm possibly near at the point installing 16 if i can get the laptop to install it but hey, what do i know??
i think that pretty much covers your first two questions.
as regards the third one, think i've attempted rufus, unetbootin and etcher with unetbootin finally enabling my usb to be converted to a bootable drive (i don't know how to confirm that) but obviously 16 didn't get installed so maybe unetbootin failed somehow.
with the 3 rufus (etc) programmes, i've tried to get them working a number of times all without success. in fact, i've gone back right to the start and appear to getting kicked back. all this process. is said to be an easy job ... well, could've fooled me. having said that, i don't want to give up 'cos i hate defeat.
my thanks to all of you.
that's about it and fogive my gripe.

later ...
michael.

Good attitude.

As @Aravisian said, this thread has grown big, so was useful for you to give a current situation report.

If you have Z16 on a bootable USB via Unetbootin, can you try to boot from it and do the "Try Zorin" option. That will prove the USB works or not before you attempt a full install.

The idea behind going to Z16 was to give you more uptodate drivers and kernel to see if that overcomes your wifi woes.

1 Like

Is Zorin 15.3 installed or is that what we are working to install?

hi ...
no ... i'm still aiming to install core 16 which i'm presuming will delete 15.3 during the 16 install.

with 'try zorin', how does that work? do i install it on the laptop or the bootable usb drive (if its still bootable)? as with 15.3 and 16, when i download the "try zorin", do i then make sure that it goes onto what i hope will be the bootable drive or do i just make sure that it's in home/recent/download and if so, can you tell me what the code is to copy it over?

on the point of the usb drive, if i covert it to a bootable drive, does it stay a bootable drive or do i need to go through the convertable process a second or third time etc. etc. whenever i attempt an installation of any other particular programme in the future?

I think the best approach would be to take it step by step and ensure each step along the way.
First, you need to Download Zorin OS 16 as an .iso file. If you do this on Linux, it will be in your Downloads folder.
To burn this .iso to disk:

Insert the USB disk you want to burn the iso to into the usb port.
Open Unetbootin.
Click on Diskimage to select it.
Click the ... button on the far right. On the left, select Computer. Then on the right side, select /. Now, select home. Next, select your user name (Should be the only option). Next, Downloads and finally, select the Zorin OS 16 .iso
Now, click the OK button.

hi ...
first thing first ... i've already got 2 or 3 copies of the zorin-os-16-core-64-bit-r1.iso files which i downloaded a few days ago ... one of them should be fine for what i want it to do.
secondly ... my usb drive is connected to the laptop.
thirdly ... the unetbootin-linux64-702.bin file is also in the home/download folder along with the 16core iso file. each time i tried to open the bin files, it gives the following msg:
"could not display unetbootin-linux64-702.bin" ... is unknown.
there are 2 buttons ... 1) no applications exist for etc... and 2)brings me back to the home/download folder.
so i can't open the file nor click on anything else.

I strongly recommend installing unetbootin directly.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gezakovacs/ppa

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install unetbootin

okay ...
did all that ...

right at the end, after "E: ..... basically says zorin doesn't have a release file ...
then under that, after "N: ..... says updating from such a repository can't be done securely therefore disabled by default ...
then finally another "N: ... see apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details ...

Can you either post a screenshot or copy paste the entire message so we can see with repo or packages are in question?

hope this works ...

umm ... tried copy and paste (ctrl+C) but didn't work ...
does linux work with a diff. combination?