UNRESOLVED - Installed zorin 15.3 core but no idea how to connect to wifi

'mornin' ...
thank you for your reply ...
hit f12 and it went into boot mode ...

"boot mode is set to: uefi; secure boot: off." (not sure what this means)

choice of legacy boot + uefi boot +other options

legacy ...... int. hdd/usb storage device/onboard nic
uefi boot ...... ubuntu/win.boot mgr/uefi:hard drive
other options ...... choice of 5 bios

first, legacy = usb storage resulted in "selected boot device failed. press any key to reboot".

second, uefi = ubuntu "same result"
third, uefi = win.boot mgr "same result"
4th, uefi = uefi:hard drive "same result"

5th, other options = all other 5 options bios ignored

all i can think of now is to d/l zorin lite again and go through the rufus process (on the windows laptop) and f12 process (zorin laptop) a second time.

will be here for a while ...

I believe you are Dual Booting Zorin OS and Windows and Windows is UEFI, correct?

hi ...
no ... not dual booting ... the dell laptop will have just the one zorin lite installed ... think i mentioned that in one of my earlier posts ...
the other laptop runs windows so if i have to download lite again, it will be done one which is the same laptop that i'm typing on now ...
the dell is purely for linux ...

A lot of people on here requesting assistance with installations... I cannot always keep track. Can you remind which options you selected at install?
Wipe and Install Zorin?
Something Else option?

think this was your last post received last night ...
"Using Rufus, burn the Zorin OS ISO to the USB stick you want to use to install Zorin. Follow the prompts supplied by Rufus.
Once done, you can plug that USB stick into the computer you want to install Zorin OS onto and Boot - hit the F12 key to get to the boot menu if you need and select that USB as the boot device.
Once it boots, you will see a menu that lists "Try or install Zorin OS." That is your starting point for installation."

okay ...
this is the route i took this morning ...
the dvd bootable drive was already plugged into the linux laptop then .......
hit f12 and it went into boot mode ...

"boot mode is set to: uefi; secure boot: off." (not sure what this means)

choice of legacy boot + uefi boot +other options

legacy ...... int. hdd/usb storage device/onboard nic
uefi boot ...... ubuntu/win.boot mgr/uefi:hard drive
other options ...... choice of 5 bios

first, legacy = usb storage resulted in "selected boot device failed. press any key to reboot".

second, uefi = ubuntu "same result"
third, uefi = win.boot mgr "same result"
4th, uefi = uefi:hard drive "same result"

5th, other options = all other 5 options bios ignored

all i can think of now is to d/l zorin lite again and go through the rufus process (on the windows laptop) and f12 process (zorin laptop) a second time.

that's the only set of your options that i followed this morning ...
i'm very aware just how much of your time i've taken up with all my questions and problems etc. etc. and i'm very grateful to you for being so patient ... very much appreciated.
at the moment, i'm looking for a course to learn linux but it's not easy because i live on an island off the west coast of scotland so not that many people around.

i hope i haven't misunderstood your previous post about the 'options' and that my reply is of some help.

finally, can you suggest a book(s) about zorin linux in plain english that is easy to understand please?

Someone else also asked this recently. I am a huge fan of books with a large collection of them across shelves all over the house.
Including the bathroom. My favorite library.
But when it comes to Learning Linux or Zorin - the Best Method is by doing. Like learning to ride a bike or drive a car or how to dance or do Karate.

Mistakes will be made, hair will be lost... times so frustrating you want to wrap your hands around ever developers neck and squuueeeeze until their thick black rimmed glasses Pop Off their heads.
Worth every moment.
The first couple of weeks of starting out on Linux (On Zorin OS, even) from windows was a frazzled nightmare of my constant complaining.
The first couple months, I got curious about how it all worked and began poking around in Root with a stick. And wiping and reloading... a lot...
After about 5 months the mistakes, the errors, the uncertainty had faded away. Part of why it took so long is because I am a slow learner and part of it is because I was so insistent on trying to learn everything.

I liken it to the SR-71 Blackbird. She shakes and she quakes and shudders and feels like she wants to slam into the ground... Until you get up to speed and are flying an Angel.

Which is why... It was Archangel.

Dell:
Please See This Post here where the Zorin Group replied with a response about numerous installation troubles on mostly DELL computers:

hi ...
yes and thanks for your post particularly the part about dell l/tops, not forgetting the learning curve you experienced when you started to get to grips with linux. very interesting indeed and while it's on my mind, had a good read about the sr-17 blackbird ... quite a plane! thank you for sharing.

the name of the zorin book you mentioned ... learning linux or zorin? is that the real name?

re. my previous post ... am i able to ask the developers where i could get the dell 'fix' which might get rid of my installation lite problem plus who from please?

That is the name of an Action, not a book. :wink:

The "fix" is currently being worked out and will be supplied by Zorin OS very shortly.
In the meantime, they posted a WorkAround to help users get Zorin OS Installed:
In the meantime, the easiest workaround to install Zorin OS 16 on affected computers is the following:

1. Plug in the Zorin OS Installation USB Drive
  2. Go the computer's BIOS settings screen
  3. Navigate to the "Boot" or "Security" section and disable the "Secure Boot" option
  4. Navigate to General > Boot Sequence > Add Boot Option
  5. Select the "Boot Option Name" and insert "Zorin"
  6. Click on "..." in "File Name", select the Zorin OS Installation USB Drive and EFI / Boot / grubx64.efi
  7. Click OK to add the new boot option
  8. With the arrow up/down you can set this boot option as the first one
  9. Press the indicated key to save the BIOS settings and restart
  10. Boot the Zorin OS Installation USB Drive and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation normally
  11. After installing Zorin OS, you can choose to re-enable Secure Boot from the BIOS settings screen if you wish
    If the system can't identify the USB Drive at step 6, you can unplug & re-plug the USB drive to see if it changes inside the "File Name" > "..." menu.

hi ... sorry ... i was called away .......
thank you for your reply which i'll slowly read over tomorrow morning when i'm more alert and let you know how i get on ...

cheers ... michael.

The corrected Zorin OS 16 Core Download is now available in all mirrors and on the Zorin OS home Download page, as well. You may try that first and see if it spares you a headache.

hello aravisian ...
in your 'how to ...' post, number 6 said ... "Click on "...", in "File Name", tapped Zorin OS Installation USB Drive and EFI / Boot / grubx64.efi", so i clicked on the 3 dots then in file name, tapped in "Zorin OS Installation USB Drive and EFI / Boot / grubx64.efi" .
#7, #8, #9 seemed to go okay. attempted #10 but didn't see any on-screen instructions. obviously, lite didn't install so i still have core.
btw, was playing/exploring wih core this afternoon and got onto the net. pulled oput the ethernet cable and lost the net so wifi still isn't working despite the wifi icon being lit up. what i've been hoping for is that when i finally get lite to work that it will also allow wifi to switch on automatially.
as regards z16, i got a notification about that too but think i'll still try to get lite 'cos i hate being defeated by a computer which, in reality, is merely plastic and metal.

i'll be here for another hour then shutting down (8.45pm uk time) till tomorrow morning. hope to hear from you in due course.
cheers ...... michael.

I understand! :smiley:

Ok, so where we stand now is- Working on Zorin OS 15.3 Lite- correct?

hi
yes please ... lite.

.... that last attempt, i felt i was very close to sucess ... obviouslt not close enough!!!

Can you run in terminal:

nmcli networking off

Then,

nmcli networking on

Check wifi connection

ok terminal was hard to find ... took a while ...
tapped both codes in then my password
then it produced a tiny window "acquiring ip address (dhcp)"
with a blue bar inder it ...
been like that for 10 minutes ...
i don't think it can find it so "cancel" is my only option.
won't let me cancel ...
terminial has produced
"wlf2s0 interface doesn't support scanning : device or resource busy"

just to make sure ... i bought a wifi with a USB connection .. due to arrive in a couple of days ... if it works ... great ... but if not ... oh well, i tried" ................................!!!

1 Like

I wonder if you need the non-free iwlwifi
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-iwlwifi_20210511-1_all.deb

Double click to install...
Then open a terminal with the keyboard shortcut ctrl+alt+t
Paste in

sudo modprobe -r iwlwifi

sudo modprobe iwlwifi

ok ... tapped in the http path which did whatever it does
then 'install' which it did, asking for my pwd which i did but after that, i was unable to get a clean terminal to enter ctrl+alt+t nor the 2 sudo codes ...

sorry ... i must go ... sorry ... be back later ...

The ctrl+alt+t is the keyboard shortcut that opens the terminal, not a command to put in it.

ahh ... okay ... should've realised that ...
okay ... did that again from the start ...
then tapped out the shortcut to get a clean terminal then added the 2 sudo commands (after the first one, it asked for my password ) then added the second command, hit enter and then the cursor moved down a line as if waiting for another command. there was no installation.
the terminal window remains on screen on the zorin laptop.

sorry about having to rush off yesterday morning ... business.