UNRESOLVED - Installed zorin 15.3 core but no idea how to connect to wifi

The best way to know it is testing it out on your system.
You can create an installer USB with Etcher and run a live session to see if you can connect WiFi or not.

1 Like

hi frenchpress ...
sorry for the delay in replying ... was away ...

i have 3 usb drives all containing data ... so have bought a couple more online which should be here early next week.

i live on an island so only one grocery shop.
i might d/l v16 and if i install it, would i have to delete v15.3 first?

must admit, i miss wifi but at least i can get online with my ethernet cable.

will be in touch ... cheers.

If you have a large enough hard disk, you can install version 16 along with 15.

my blank dvd's are 4.7gigs but my laptop doesn't have it's own built-in one ... i ordered an external one online a few days ago so should be here anytime soon ... hopefully!
think i'd rather delete 15.3 before i install 16.

got to go out now ...
laters ...

hi ... sorry i've been away again story so far ...
my new 64gig dvd 3.0 arrived today but still no sign of my external dvd drive for the laptop yet ... grrrr!!
so i decided to d/l core 16 ... took a while but it's now sitting on the new dvd. also d/l rufus 2.15 which is also on the dvd.
i looked up on the net how to change the boot order "how to change the boot order in zorin linux" and "changing boot order" came on screen. looked very detailed and concise. on terminal, tapped out "sudo gedit /etc/default/grub" then my pwd then "grub default=0" which advised me to change the '0' to '5' ... did that then saved the changes. then back to terminal to tap in "sudo update-grub" to make sure .that grub2 recognises the changes then entered and restarted the laptop but it went straight back into 15.3 ... after the 3rd attempt, i stopped. i've gone wrong somewhere along the line. the "grub default=5" ... my change was still there but i have some doubt as to "sudo update-grub" ... there was no-where to 'save' it.

would like to hear your comments and ideas as to where i went wrong.

what i was expecting was rufus to appear followed by core 16 with its questions about dual or no dual etc.

still no sign of getting wifi but i'm hoping that when i get core 16 sorted, it might help in getting wifi too.

the only other thing i can add is that i'm beginning to enjoy zorin!!

Do you mean a 64GB USB stick, not DVD (which is an 4.7GB optical disk)?
You could otherwise confuse us, as it is possible to create a Linux bootable DVD installation media.

Out of interest, Have you taken time to look at this useful information: Before you install

Also: Unofficial Manual for Zorin 15 - #6 by swarfendor437

@ zabadadadoo ...
hi ... and my apologies for the error ...
yes .. i meant to type in usb 3.0 and not dvd ...

at the moment i know little or nothing about checksum files but as i've just installed quickhash, i'll use that to check both checksum files, the one i've already downloaded from the zorin site and then, will carry on from there.
continuing with your 'before you start ...' post, i always wanted to install zorin on a dedicated laptop so i don't think it's necessary to follow through with items 2, 3 and 4 because there isn't a hint of any microsoft on the laptop.
with 5, do you know of a good route (and easy to follow) to enable me to change the boot order because i wasn't happy with my first 3 attempts ... that could've been the reason why 16 core failed to install.
the usb and cables are okay and i don't have a spare computer.
i prefer rufus so will use that.
totally agree with your reasons why problems occur when installing ... in my case, i think the main reason is the third item as the first was taken direct from the zorin site and the second, all checked okay.

thank you for your suggestions.
michael.

Just speaking from my own experience, Rufus did not work for me.
Etcher was the only software let me made a bootable Zorin installer.

I am not a fan of BalenaEtcher due to many problems reported here and on the old Zorin website. including: Balena Etcher problems
I believe BalenaEtcher was good for creating Live USB for the original (non Beta) release of Z16.
I will stick to Unetbootin myself.

@mipak Is your wifi fixed now?

PS. @FrenchPress where has your cat avatar gone? The new coffee pot one confused me this morning.

no ... not yet ... i'm having a problem with finding a simple method of changing the boot order ...
up till now, all i get is the 15.3 core instead of (and i'm guessing) the start of 16 core with rufus starting to do its thing followed by zorin 16.

just gone through about half the process of trying to change the boot order ...
i d/l the file " How to use GRUB customizer to change boot priorities" and got to the point about half way down where it gave me 3 choices 1) list configuration 2) general settings 3) appearance settings.
in the paragraph above list config, it said to "Open GRUB customizer by searching for it in the main search menu." where is the main search menu??
now i'm at a standstill.

@ zabadabadoo ...
no, not yet ... as you can gather from my last post.

A small incident taught me NOT to use any image which can allude a wrong assumption regarding a nature of this being.

BTW, it is not a simple coffee pot.
It is a famed French Press (presse à café / cafetière à piston).
You can see how it works here:

1 Like

hi ...
think i've gone through so many sites trying to find a simple route to change the zorin boot order so that i can start the installation of 16 core ... i'm obviously doing something wrong but i am at a loss as to what it is.
from what i've seen, there can be a number of boot choices starting with zero and upwards but i don't know the name of any of the numbers ... i don't really want to tap in just any number and i don't know if there's a list of names or what to tap in in terminal to find a boot list of names.
i would be very grateful if someone can help me please.

Can you please clarify what you mean by this statement?
I do not understand what boot order has to do with being able to install Zorin OS 16. Also, by boot order, are you referring to the order of which OS is offered first in the Grub Menu?

hello again ...
from what i've read, i have to make sure that before i install 16 core, i need to tell the 'installation' process where to install v16 otherwise, as far as i knew, it could be anywhere.
as regards the boot order, i mean the download to install into the zorin distro ... i don't know what is behind #0 or #1 etc ... there are no names ...

all i see, and am trying to learn, most folk say that it's easy to dl & install zorin so i don't know why i'm having these problems.

i (think) i've got to the point that rufus is on my new usb 3.0 as is the zorin os 16 core iso file. as from what i've been told, (without being told otherwise), it's at that point that i reboot and within a minute or so, rufus appears and does whet it has to do and converts the usb to a bootable one then zorin appears and starts to install, asking a couple of questions whether it's a duel boot or just zorin etc. and that's just about it.
but at that point, 16 core doesnt install.
and that's all i know.

i'm sorry if i appear so dum but i am swimming in all this despite the fact that i'm also actually enjoying working with zorin.
i live on a very tiny island off the north west coast of scotland and i don't really know anyone (as a close friend) so it's very difficult for me to just pick up the phone and ask a question.

sorry for waffling ...
hope to hear from you in due course.
michael.

Rufus does not work for Zorin 16.
Use Etcher instead.

1 Like

Rufus or belena etcher or unetbootin need to be installed in your windows, not copied to the usb you are going to place the iso on.

Whichever iso writing software you want to use, open it. Make sure the only usb thumb drive plugged in is the one you are installing the iso on (reduces confusion).

In one of those iso writing apps, hit the three dots (...) and choose the iso you want to write (zorin 16, zorin 15.3, ...) (if rufus choose iso method not dd) hit ok.

It will take some time, and then say finished or ready.

Remove the usb and go to your Linux laptop. Put it in and boot up, hitting f12 or entering your bios (f2/del), you are trying to get the boot order changed temporarily. The list of options will be confusing, but one of them will have "usb" (without quotes) in the beginning of the title. It will most likely be the last entry. This is what you want to boot from. You will be given an option which to boot, zorin, zorin (safe graphics), zorin (nvidia drivers). Choose zorin. Choose try when it gets there and you'll be loaded into the zorin 16 gnome desktop.

1 Like

hi ...
thank you for your suggestion ...

i started from the top using unebootin including the 3 dots (but i didn't see any choice between 16 / 15.3).

i clicked 'flash from file' but the hard cdrive light near the keyboard is flashing very slowly but i still can't getting any responce from the 'flash' button.

the above was the second time i re-started the exercise. the conversion from a standard usb to a bootable usb wasn't able to start ... in both occasions, i got as far as (not hitting) the flash button.

have to go in a minute but should be back here tomorrow.
michael.

hi ...
i was "paging" through a number of different sites this evening, basically all to do with trying to get unebootin to work and enable it to convert my usb flash drive into a bootable drive.

must have pressed a active link ... didn't see what it was ... happened very quickly ... but all of a sudden, it was active and started a countdown clock. watched it for about 30 minutes then was called away ... returned after 4 minutes but was unable to find the particular page anywhere!

now, i don't know how to access the usb, which is still plugged it to the laptop, to check if it is bootable and if it is, how will i then be able to find out ... what do i look for?

assuming it is bootable, according to the zorin site, think it then needs to know where the 16 core file is located and i don't know how to do that?

i tried to t/f the 16 core file onto the 64gig bootable usb but it came back with a msg that there was not enough space left on the drive. i have the file in the download folder ... quite safe.

i think i need to warm boot the laptop then 16 core should start to install etc ... and then, it should be on the computer ...

hope to hear a solution to the way out, hopefully to the finish ... so close.
thanks for everything so far.
michael.