Installing a WifFi Dongle

I moved this topic from another Thread to keep from confusing other members including myself plus it will be easier to find in the search feature of the board ....

Frog

Well I can't check it this morning as when I booted up and Pro started Software update popped up and my WiFi crashed .... I don't think software caused that crash it's just that stupid WiFi card AGAIN ..... I bought another Wifi Dongle for Linux but again I can't understand how to run it even with the mini-CD .... there are no real instructions with it mostly just for Win which is kinda dumb as it works with Win Install but no such command for Linux .... I can't figure out how to load the drivers ....

I wanted to see if the dongle would work to ensure that is the problem before I split my case and removed the WiFi card so they could order a new one .…

Aravisian

Can you give the specs, make and model of the wifi dongle? Maybe we can help find the right driver.

Here is the website that I bought it from .... looks like it is a generic so it is probably a Chinese copy with no manufactures name on it ....

I do have the instructions including the driver disk .... I am including photos of the drivers inside that disk ..... when I extract the the drivers I don't know where to place the folder ..... I can't find a .drivers on my home folder ....

I hope you can follow these photos .....

Sorry for the delay but we had a brown out and thank god it saved my draft partially but I don't remember my last picture so I'll end this here as I think there is enough info with them that you can get the picture .... unfortunately the disk gives 3 different drivers so I don't know which one will work ....

I would go with the cilynx repo:

git clone https://github.com/cilynx/rtl88x2bu.git

cd rtl88x2bu

VER=$(sed -n 's/\PACKAGE_VERSION="\(.*\)"/\1/p' dkms.conf)

sudo rsync -rvhP ./ /usr/src/rtl88x2bu-${VER}

sudo dkms add -m rtl88x2bu -v ${VER}

sudo dkms build -m rtl88x2bu -v ${VER}

sudo dkms install -m rtl88x2bu -v ${VER}

sudo modprobe 88x2bu

Using DKMS should prevent you from having the wifi fail if the kernel gets upgraded.

2 Likes

So I just copy all those commands into the terminal one after the other .... sorry I am really tired right now ....

Yep - be sure to read the output on each and report any errors...

1 Like

Ok will do .... I'll photo all errors ....

Looks good everything went smoothly except the cursor is stuck and not blinking anymore .....

As my Wifi card is presently working I will have to shut down my laptop connection and turn off the card WiFi when I start it back up ..... then plug in the dongle and see if it connects ....

You sir are amazing .... I seriously don't know how you do .... I couldn't make heads nor tails out of how to make this work .... but I guess that's why they pay you the big bucks ..... just kidding I know you guys don't get paid just volunteer your time .....

This morning I got up and started the laptop plugged in the dongle booted into Zorin and it connected ..... installed my WiFi password (the right one this time) and off it went ..... I copied your instructions and will print them out to keep forever ....

Now that I'm sure it is the WiFi card I will see about ordering one ....

Again many thanks .... :clap: :beers: :beers: :beers:

2 Likes

Just wanted everyone to know that the dongle after 3 days is working flawlessly on Win 10 & Zorin .... I don't even need to have the 2 arms (antennas) of Wi2-Fi2 (my name for it) it works especially with Aravisian's kind assistance ....

I would highly recommend this unit should you need a back-up for you WiFi card ....

Not sure just where you can buy it as I bought it from Lazada (southeast Asia) .... maybe see the picture below and then do a search on Amazon or NewEgg and compare the specs .... price is roughly $8.75 .... just remember when comparing prices that the one I have is a no-name brand .... better known as a Chinese knock-off copy .... :roll_eyes:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.