Installing Light Table and such apps from tar.gz

Light Table is not available in Software Store so i downloaded lighttable-0.8.1-linux.tar.gz from http://lighttable.com/. I searched in the internet for instructions on how to install packages from tar.gz. I am listing them below

1. Use INSTALL file : I found no install file.

1. Use README for instructions : No README file either.

2. SH file : gives error.

1. MAKE : .\configure is giving error.

So i am out of my wit and asking for help to install Light Table (and for the matter any other such tar.gz installations). Thanks in advance.

I don't think there's something to install. No indication of that. But there's an execution file in there you can execute.

extract the file:

tar xvzf ~/Downloads/*.tar.gz -C /tmp/

Give permissions:

sudo chown -R root:root /tmp/lighttable*

Place executable file in root /opt:

sudo mv /tmp/lighttable* /opt/lightTable

Create symlink:

sudo ln -s /opt/lightTable/LightTable /usr/local/bin/lightTable

Launch with terminal or with alt+F2

lightTable

Or from app menu if you create a desktop file for it.

Yes there is an executable file and an sh file. The executable file is not working in the current scenario and the sh file while executing gives error

"LightTable: error while loading shared libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Thank you for the answer, but it still gives the same error as provided with bash

"LightTable: error while loading shared libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Any idea how to resolve this error?

You can try

sudo apt install libgconf-2-4

Thanks. Now new error :

(LightTable:2901): Pango-ERROR **: 20:06:19.180: Harfbuzz version too old (1.0.0)

You can expect this, since Light Table seems to be nominally available...
You can try these suggestions:

Thanks. Looks like too many issues are going to creep up. Still will give it a try.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.