Installing printer *

The instructions provided for our Brother printer (scan/fax/copy) machine for Linux are as follows -

1. Login as a superuser ( or use "sudo" option if it is required )

2. Download driver.

Download Linux driver.

3. Install Linux driver
    1. Turn on the printer and connect the USB cable. 
    2. Open the terminal and go to the directory where the driver is. 
    3. Install Linux driver. The install process may take some time. Please wait until it is complete.

Command (for dpkg) : dpkg -i --force-all (linux-drivername)
4. Check if the Linux driver is installed
Command (for dpkg) : dpkg -l | grep Brother

I have downloaded the driver file - mfcj995dwpdrv-1.0.5-0.i386.deb [in Download folder] but am not sure about what to put into the terminal.

• is the "sudo" option required? If so how should the terminal entry be?

• do I type the entire Command line (replacing linux-drivername with mfcj995dwpdrv-1.0.5-0.i386.deb)??

Thanks for assistance.

They are a bit enthusiastic, aren't they?
I would suggest double clicking the .deb file you downloaded and letting the installer run.
IF it has trouble, then you can resort to usinga force-all command on it...

The answer would be "yes" on both of these, in case it comes to that. You are at the head of the class.

2 Likes

There is an easier method. Install Gdebi (package manager) using Synaptic, just search for Gdebi, mark for installation, then select apply. Run Gdebi (you will be asked for your login password to elevate to 'root') then use Gdebi to point to the downloaded .deb file. Restart your computer for the changes to take effect (installation of Printer driver). Then open Printers, select Brother then scroll down to the model of your printer - the .deb file will have been added to the Printers selection.

5 Likes

I heart Gdebi.

3 Likes

I did double click the downloaded .deb file which added the Brother Inkjet Printer Driver mfcj995dwpdrv into Add-ons. I don't see any Printer in any of the Start 'bar' categories. Should I remove this Add-on before I try second/the Gdebi method?

Thanks but LOL!! I am not really a cautious person by nature, but I've learned to 'measure twice and cut once' when it comes to computers (and Linux).

Please let's avoid freemason talk!

1 Like

I thought that was an old very cautious Russian saying! Forums such as this one is about the ONLY thing I join. (I am a Panarchist by nature).

1 Like

Mark twice cute once is freemason speak.

Russian is mark seven times, then cut:

https://www.oxfordreference.com/display/10.1093/acref/9780199539536.001.0001/acref-9780199539536-e-1418;jsessionid=56DA1D95FFFC2179200E959D6866C9C4

Zorin is Ukranian, not Russian!

1 Like

I can not find a 'Printers section' - where is that usually located (in Start bar) - Accessories? Office? System Tools? Utilities?? OR do I need to add a Printer Category?

I will post from VM of Zorin - hold on to your hat!

Settings | Printers - you may need to scroll down to see it:

1 Like

I did find Printers in Settings, but there are (now) TWO with near same (model) name - one 'driverless' the other 'CUPS'. Any thoughts about which is best used?

Sorry but that is an old tailors saying and refers to the measuring and cutting of cloth ..... don't believe everything you read .....

2 Likes

Frog that must be where I picked this up - I have been sewing my own clothes for over 60 years.

1 Like

and a phrase still contantly used by Carpenters and DIY enthusiasts. Makes common sense. Normally followed by "you can't glue it back on".

2 Likes

Driverless means the system has identified make and model of printer with no driver. Choose the CUPS one.

1 Like

Just looked at Printers and ALL have disappeared! This is so puzzling! I'll try installing again later.

Had a midnight flash of insight - the printer ink jets might need cleaning! This morning I did that and voila! the printer not only worked, dear Zorin installed the Printer into Settings.

I feel like the housewife that claimed she wasn't broke because she still had checks. (lol)

Zorin deserves the 'solution' check as well as :heart:s all around to the helpful horde of all you who replied. :couple_with_heart_woman_man:

2 Likes

I marked your post the solution as it contains the solution that others may find helpful.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.