Is Gnome user-friendly?

Yes Every part of GNOME is designed to make it simple and easy to use . A simple way to access all your basic tasks. A press of a button is all it takes to view your open windows, launch applications, or check if you have new messages.

While some may find this not to their particular liking and they are entitled to their choice, many users are looking for something to rely on to serve as a simple way to enjoy surfing and daily tasks.

I think that some and not all former users have decided that Gnomes direction of going was not to their liking and become ill of the DE. Hence, taking every chance to discredit it.

Nothing is perfect, but Gnome is easy to use and friendly to those that decide to have something Linux.

This is true for activities overview. But is that all it takes to access information or details that a user needs?
I will give an example:
@Frog removed a piece of software using gnome-software. Seems direct and easy, right?
But since the application does not inform you of any dependencies it removes along with that software - the way that other D.E. package managers, the way Synaptic or the way Terminal does - he was unaware that it removed the entire Zorin Desktop along with it.
He got quite a shock when he tried to log in later.
I would point that most all D.E.s make it simple to access your basic tasks. On almost any D.E., for many purposes a push of a button is all that is needed to access certain things. And there is plenty in Gnome that is very difficult to access, too.
If you point to Gnomes activities overview, I can point to XFDashboard, just as easily. This does not mean that Gnome is not user-friendly by itself, but instead shows that it is not especially so.
Granted, the Gnome-Software example was just too easy to use as an example...
But it is one of many cases, others including the "Oh No! Something has gone wrong" error, that are not user-friendly at all and are difficult to troubleshoot.

I would be curious as to other exmples that may be provided to show how Gnome makes easy use - that are actually due to Gnome-extensions. Since you only provided one example to support your statement, I do not have much to go on.

This is a very good point. I can see that as quite likely going on.
However, I have outlined a great many examples through the course of this thread that address how I question the selective pressure placed as Gnome being promoted as "More advanced" or "The most polished" or the many other common comments made.
This is not to discredit Gnome as a whole, but to create more equal footing as to how Gnome is perceived to new users that otherwise would not know either way.

Gnomes direction affects all D.E. users excluding KDE. This is not about users trying to merely discredit Gnome, but to question support that enables that direction that will affect us all.

1 Like

This is not totally fair, Gnome did try to make their applications have a bit more options. They fixed many bugs in the Gnome Software Store and made it much responsive. I think the redesigned look is very clean, and I think is far more improved.

2 Likes

When did they do this? Do you have a link to the gnome changelog on this? What applications have more options?
And most importantly... Why did Gnome put in these options? Did they do this because of User Feedback requesting less simplicity and more control, more settings?

What I pointed out above is 100% fair. What happened to Frog happened recently and currently - as of Today - Gnome Software Does Not notify users as to dependencies being removed.
There is nothing unfair in that example - at all.

None of the above means that Gnome is a bad desktop and it does not mean that Gnome Software is evil or anything.
The only thing it means is that it is not the Top of the line, most polished and most advanced desktop as I keep commonly coming across claimed.
This is not defensive, but instead; is important for new users to Linux to have access to these details to consider - instead of it remaining a one-sided "Promote Gnome but neglect any flaws" as it is now.

...Also... how do you define it looking clean? I mean... I just opened Gnome-Software and it looks exactly the same as it always has. What does "clean" mean?

1 Like

Bro how?? It looks way better? I think it's perfectly fine, I never had this many problems with Gnome and most of the time Extensions work just fine.

Bro, I have an issue with ZorinOS Forum, it's not loading properly. I keep getting weird load times, and sometimes it just doesn't work. I don't have any issue with other websites, just this one.

2 Likes

AZorin recently fixed an issue which may have had an impact on what you’re observing. Clear your browser cache for forum.zorin.com and try again.
Zorin Forum page flicker when Reply Box open - #26 by AZorin

1 Like

Kedric, I am sorry but a statement that it simply "looks better" is not really evidence. Which parts look better and in what way? It is not that I doubt you any but... I cannot see that as a way of supporting the idea that Gnome is as represented the most polished Linux Desktop. As I said, there is much I like about Gnome. When I address certain aspects that all of us should consider, this is not an attack, but addressing aspects that deserve consideration.
Yet, in doing so, it seems easier for members to attack me for doing so. I have no intention of accepting these attacks, since listening to these points fairly is far more constructive than assuming their meaning, then trying to apply a defense that was never needed in the first place.

IS Gnome the most user-friendly desktop?
In this, we cannot say it is totally user friendly or that it is totally unfriendly. I raise points that certain aspects of Gnome development are not user-friendly and if Gnome has added options (which you have not specified what these are), then this would demonstrate that very point. You can see in this that we would actually agree, not disagree.
So, whether I like and use Gnome or not or whether you do or not (You also like KDE, this doesn't mean you suddenly hate Gnome and if using Gnome you don't suddenly hate KDE, right?) is not relevant to us all meeting on common ground and critically examining points that Have Merit.

I will little take a distance from this topic which one is better.
Give me answear when it will finished and who is winner.
Gnome going the way the same what W11, the same epithany what i saw review connect all with your mobile to gived you more control. Everything going this way because mostly all production in my country what i saw have a poor computers with processor arm with SoC. Mobile processors. This is not the war about the design. This is monopoly in future a market bussiness.

1 Like

Bingo. You hit it Right On The Head.

1 Like

In school the teachers in Poland when learning a children they have prohibition what they thinking and what they want creativity what they thinking alone in mind. They must doing exactly what a teacher sayed any another subjective response are prohibited. I don't know if someone little watching on the world what is going but they want blind people eyes to xvi century where we will be working for a plate a rice.

Can someone please rephrase that?
@Bourne, no offence.

I can edit that no problem or cut something.

1 Like

Yes..do that.. :sweat_smile:

Edited post

1 Like

You removed it, I asked to rephrase...if you found that statement not very important then its all right now.

Yes. Better to focus assumptions, everyone have another experience and life that i guess is best choice not put some words what could be collected personally.

1 Like

About xfce.

"If there is a weak point in the Zorin OS 16 Lite experience (in my testing) it’s GNOME Software.

I know: a resource-constrained computer is never going to run ‘modern’ tools like GNOME Software comfortably. But just opening the app maxes out memory, slows the entire system down. With so many software backends to plug into, Ubuntu repos, Flathub, and Snap store, the client takes an eon to refresh its software catalog on startup."

I agree with the reviewer here wholeheartedly. I did not know that Gnome had its reach even in 16 Lite when I was waiting for the release. It would be great, in my opinion, if the developers could de-Gnome future releases so it is truly Xfce. Of course I know they are extremely busy with other things. This would be future wishlist.

I have not read all the posts on this subject but a lot of them so I think I get the idea of what others think of Gnome. Whether Gnome is user friendly or not depends a lot on your background and how you use your PC. I have many many years of using Windows going all the way back to 3.1. I checked out Linux about 10 years ago and at that time I just didn't have the time to try and learn about repositories and dependencies and compiling and building in order to get a program to work. So I dropped Linux even though I didn't than and still don't like M$.

A few months ago I decided to try Linux again and found Zorin. I installed Z15 core and spent some time learning what I could do with it. Since it had Gnome that of course is what I used. I didn't know any better but found that coming from Windows, Gnome seemed fairly intuitive and pretty similar to W7 which I was pretty familiar with. So for me Gnome did what I expected it to do. From that standpoint Gnome was user friendly.

As I said I have a pretty extensive background in using PCs. I also worked on industrial machines that were computer controlled. Most people know them as CNC machines. So of course I am a tinkerer. I just hadn't bothered yet with trying any other DEs.

However yesterday Aravisian posted in another thread that Cinnamon seemed to work well in Zorin so I thought I would give it a try. I installed it and spent a few hours checking it out. I found that most things were just easier to do in Cinnamon than it Gnome. The menu is much easier to navigate. The options for what you can do to customize your system are much better than Gnome. Since I am a tinkerer I probably won't go back to Gnome. I may check out some other DEs but Cinnamon so far is looking pretty good to me.

I do understand why some people would rather use Gnome than a DE like Cinnamon. My wife is one of those people that just does not want a lot of options for how to do things. If there are three ways to go somewhere she only wants to know one way. Don't confuse her with more than that. The same way with her PC. Show her one way to open her email and no other. So for those kinds of people Gnome is probably better and more friendly than Cinnamon or some of the other DEs.

But for people like me that want to explore all the options Gnome is not the most user friendly. I don't think it is fair to claim that Gnome or any other DE is not user friendly just because it doesn't suit your personal needs.

5 Likes

Exactly. Cifta, thanks for narrowing right down on the crux of the issue. I would argue that all D.E.s are pre-configured (Usable out of the box) and that all are, generally, user-friendly. I do not believe that any D.E., be it XFCE, Cinnamon, KDE or Gnome, is The most of any of these claims.

To this end, I find it disturbing that Gnome is promoted this way while other D.E.'s are not promoted this way. Opinions are fine and they are relevant and important in how a user chooses their D.E. One person may Love what Gnome offers them while another does not. Just like themes, really.

However, the most important part of this is not in choosing your D.E. but in having the ability to choose your D.E.

That ability is dying.

It is dying because in having control over the Gnu ToolKit (GTK), Gnome is altering GTK to favor Only Gnome.
This means that all D.E.'s functioning on GTK are being turned into Gnome-Clones and if that is what they become (due to lack of choices by those D.E.s given the available toolkit), then it becomes more and more pointless to choose a D.E. other than Gnome.
This is Logical. Gnome wants to be on top, get the most share of the money. That is how all businesses work.

When Gnome is disproportionately promoted; it favors this outcome. When users like me speak up and then get hushed; called "gnome-haters" or "troublemakers" or other, this silences opposition instead of addressing the concerns.
If only it was as simple as users debating over which D.E. they prefer. It Is Not. It is that we soon, will not be able to debate that and our Choices will be:
Gnome
KDE
And that's it.
For some, they may not care. But considering how Gnome removes features that users rely on... in my own opinion... That is not the one I'd want to be stuck with. They act the most like Microsoft, they take without regard to user feedback and they are Domineering in their developmental approach. I cannot say "I do not like Gnome, so I use another D.E." if those other D.E.'s are deprecated and abandoned.
And that - is Gnomes Goal.

1 Like