Is Gnome user-friendly?

Big Companies like Microsoft, Google, IBM, etc. hire people to write code for the kernel. Without these companies making commits, Linux will not be what it is today. Like them are not but they fund this project.

In my opinion, I think Gnome is very User-Friendly, and has the most polish user interface you can ever get.

3 Likes

I do not see how a person can claim that having settings at your disposal is "Overwhelming". By any logic that seeks to support that, it can then be claimed that having anything is overwhelming.

Moreover, people customize for a brief time, then that is usually it. They are done.
While I understand your perspective, it is just as valid to point out that users can be More Productive when dealing with a customized setup, that they configured to maximize their workflow, rather than be cartoned into a different persons setup.
A user is often more Productive when they enjoy their desktop. A dull and bland desktop makes the user feel dull and bland logging in and getting to work. And if they must spend many hours at that workbench, it is all the worse.
But a customized desktop that they enjoy and invigorates them, leads to more pep in their work and better productivity.

This is easily demonstrated by looking at how Companies promote their websites.
The same logic that is used to claim workers are somehow less productive on a workbench they have no control over (Which is an interesting point all on its own how Gnome removes user control... Is Gnome only catering to businesses seeking to crack the whip on employees?) would apply to a website UI, that it therefor is intended to get out of the way and be the least engaging as possible in order to get the customer to focus on the product.
Yet, corporations and businesses do the exact opposite. UI on business websites are engaging and seek to appeal to a customers aesthetics. The better the UI is, the better their sales.

Instead of asserting without evidence, provide statistics.

IS true. Read the forum. There are Hundreds of threads by users other than me that point out many buggy Gnome apps.
GDM. Gnome-Software. The disaster that is Epiphany browser... Not to mention the constant hassle of Gnome-Extensions. Simply claiming it untrue does not somehow erase years worth of User Posts.

Gnome extensions exist because they are necessary to restore functionality to Gnome. That... is Gnomes fault for removing so very much and for building a many years long reputation for Refusing To Listen to User Feedback and instead, telling the users to Like it or Like it.

Whether you are bothered by the inconsistencies that I have outlined and shown to be real and true or not; it becomes a matter of simple confirmation bias to reject it by claiming Gnome as Elegant and beautiful. It is inconsistent. Demonstrably so - that is not in the definition of a Beautiful UI, now is it? You merely say it is elegant and beautiful just as you say it is user-friendly.
But it is not any of these things and you can say that the sky is orange - it won't make it so.
Gnome lacks functional features it has consistently removed for many years.
Gnomes appearance depends largely on the theme - your subjective claim of its beauty relies on a variable which you cannot control for others (Though Gnome40's LibAdwaita will take that control). Users have been complaining loudly about Gnomes Removals of features and functionality for Years now- that is not being User-Friendly by any definition whatsoever. It is not user-friendly to dominate the user.
Gnomes buggy apps and inconsistent sizing, borders, window management, notebook stack and the rest are not, by any definition, elegant. There is nothing whatsoever that is Polished in mismatched UI.

And to be Blunt: If you have not noticed some of these inconsistencies, it is not due to Gnome, but to Us Themers who strove with great difficulty to make the UI work in spite of the clunky mismatched widget boxes by clever use of Margins in the .css. I would know- I am a themer and I must confront this with every. Single. Theme. I. Make.
Don't believe me? Make a theme. See for yourself.

I dissected this claim not long ago- that Gnome is Polished. It is simply not. Gnome is extremely UNpolished as that user defined it:
That the rough edges are smoothed away and that the UI is consistent.
Gnome has tons of rough edges, far more than other D.E.'s.
It has unpolished window borders due to some Gnome apps using the Notebook stack and some using the window class properties. It has rounded corners on some apps, not on others- often asked about on this forum. Windows size differently on different apps. The Headerbar Separators Size Differently from one app to the next.

US Themers need to go into the .css and create a line for that specific app for that specific class and set a Margin to correct it- Just For That One App.

Many users purport the claims:
"Gnome is elegant, polished or beautiful," when in actuality, it is clunky, rough edges, mismatched sizing in widgets, titlebars, headers and separators. It is mismatched when each Gnome Application uses entirely different classes to build a window, all of which look different.
It is high time users confronted it for what it really is instead of users just making unsupported claims about it and we are expected to just Believe those words.
For a themer, Gnome is obvious in how rough and unpolished it is... AND Consider that as you ponder how Gnome is doing everything it can to STOP Themers ability to theme Gnome (Because in theming it, how clunky and rough it is is made apparent.)
As long as Only Gnome Developers can theme Gnome, then they are back in Full Control.
Just
Microsoft.

And these claims are constantly being made, which is highly misleading to New Users who hear these words and expect user-friendliness and Polish and Elegance and instead... they Get Clunky, Buggy, Mismatched, inconsistent Gnome; all the while being fed those words over and over and over again hoping that repetition will make them ignore the strangely mismatched windows in front of their very eyes and just Believe What Others Tell them to Believe.

And while I detest that XFCE has moved to CSD's, I cannot help but notice that all XFCE Apps that are CSD have consistently sized header/titlebars. Every single one of them is all sized the same, with the icons all positioned the same. But not Gnome. In Gnome, the left header icons will position in a myariad of different ways and the titlebar will vary in size dependent on the icons within them or dependent on whether the titlebar has buttons or not. And all of these claims I make, You Can Test Yourself and see with your own eyes.
You have no idea how many times I have needed to go back into a theme and Fix those Left Header buttons for some Gnome app I never use and that a user points out that the image buttons are off-center. Yet, they are centered on other Gnome apps. Back into the .css... Make a new class... Set margins... It's insane.

I am not asking everyone to see Gnome in the same way I do- but at least just be honest in describing it.
Doing so would have a much better effect on Improving Gnome.

2 Likes

6 Likes

A Bold Statement....

@Aravisian I have a lot of points to make but I will be saying a few. All of the above statements that I made earlier were mostly based on my personal experience. I understand your difficulty in getting your themes to work.

I don't know if I used the wrong words but what I meant to say is that with too many options and settings to change busy users would feel very annoyed and would rather leave the DE and change to something simpler (as in gnome...I did not find you arguing with that) than waste their time in tweaking the system.

Gnome is not dull and bland! I think the image of GNOME DE that I have attached below justifies that.

I am sorry, I did not understand this point....Gnome looks much more appealing than XFCE.

You asked for it...and here I give.

Gnome->55%
XFCE->18%
(At the time of writing this post)

Clap Reaction GIF

You don't find GNOME elegant or beautiful but you think XFCE is?

XFCE

GNOME

I think we have a very different taste when it comes to UI.

As I had said before:

I have found LightDM issues in the forum as well. I used the search function of the forum to find lightdm issues. Honestly though, I prefer lightdm and sddm also.

If you mean the software store then I agree with you.

I have found people giving nice remarks about epiphany browser and to tell the truth I prefer epiphany browser myself...It is very light and can be used for all things that you can expect from a browser. It lacks features but that also makes it lightweight.

I never found any bug in nautilus or other gnome app. Why don't you check out the forums of other distributions that do not use gnome as its default DE and you will find people struggling with apps of other DEs as well.
Finally I want to suggest:
Why not convert this thread into a Poll and see what the majority of the people think?

2 Likes

I believe that this is a decision best left to the user, not to the desktop to make for them. Gnome actively seeks to make these decisions for the user.

You spoke against customization.
Subjective opinion: Adwaita is dull and bland.

A poll run when Zorin OS 16 Core had been released but Zorin OS 16 Lite had not been released.
Either way... Even if we accept that poll as a Valid Representation, which is highly questionable... It creates a large disparity. 55% Gnome users and 18% XFCE should result in at least equal porportions of users asking around 18% of Forum Support for XFCE and 50% of support for Gnome - approximately. Yet, that is not what we see. In support requests, Gnome questions Dominate the forum by far, between 80% to a full 90% of all threads seeking help deal with Gnome. So, even if that Poll is valid, it does not help.

What you did with your screenshots is a Classic Example of CherryPicking the evidence.
You posted a Fully Customized and Themed screenshot of Gnome in Activities Overview, but a Default and empty view of XFCE. MY XFCE looks absolutely nothing like your screenshot.
Were you to not cherrypick with such a bias, you would have posted a fully configured and themed XFCE desktop, or the desktop viewed in XFDashboard, to compare with Activities Overview.

Because I really do not care about Opinions.
This is not about opinions.

It is about Being Honest.

Would you call this polished?
https://therockshed.com/polishedrock/prs26dd.jpg

Would you call this polished?
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-udd2gi/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/3040/26511/DSCN5445__08578.1619909740.JPG?c=2

Anyone that called the second image "polished" as compared to the first would be ignored. And note, the second image has indeed recieved surface polishing. Gnome has some Polish, but it has rough edges that are lacking in other desktops too. Yet, Gnome is often promoted as more polished than other desktops and this distinction is startling.

This is not about opinions, but objectivity and facts.
Since many new users Do Not Know the details of Gnome or other desktops, they must rely on what they are told, what they hear and Read.
It's time to Educate, instead of exploit that lack of knowledge, I believe.

I would like to know how people define - really - go into detail: Define User-Friendly.
Because so far, the only definitions suggested or hinted in this thread are of a Desktop that takes control from the user since User Control is

• Overwhelming
  • Distracting from productivity
  • Too hard for their simple minds to understand

Again... Sounds Just Like Microsoft Dogma.

Simply Put: People across the internet Strongly promote the idea that Gnome is Polished, elegant, beautiful - user-friendly - Above and Better than the other Linux Desktops
And this distinction is Very Important. IS Gnome More user friendly than the rest? More polished than the rest? More elegant than the rest? Because that really is the claim being made. XFCE is called ugly - you just did so. And even cherrypicked a screenshot. Cuz, you know... wallpaper... Theme... these matter.
I question that claim in light of all the actual testable independently verifiable points I have made above. Given the above, Gnome looks worse than other more consistent, configurable and easier access desktops. So WHY is Gnome being misrepresented as it is?

Often when someone asks these questions, as I am doing here - they are dismissed as a "Gnome-hater".
Evidence Based Arguments weigh much more. I have posted quite a bit so far.
The responses are: "I didn't notice the inconsistencies." Riiiight.

2 Likes

It sounds like Microsoft Dogma because it is.

You are disregarding the best point of GNOME. Everyone else in this thread (including me) is saying that GNOME comes pre-configured and that is not necessarily a bad thing. You keep pulling Microsoft into the discussion and let me open my mind about Microsoft now...I have said that I hate Microsoft but I have never hated any of the Microsoft products. Microsoft Windows and Gnome are quite similar to a great extent. They both want to seize monopoly and both them give a pre-configured user experience. Have you ever thought (I bet you did) that "Why do people use Windows, when they know that Microsoft is a spoilt company and sucks their data"? or "Why do most (and popular) Linux distributions use GNOME as their default DE, even though there are many other great DEs out there"? (Ubuntu, Zorin OS, Pop! OS (till now) , Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE, CentOS, Arch Linux, and the list goes on)...Most workplaces use Windows because...what should I say?....I have already said...Same as why I prefer GNOME:

And yes just like you said, because Microsoft Windows and GNOME are none of those:

If I get to choose between using any one between WIndows (as it is today) and Linux (as it is today) for my entire life, I would go with Windows...I am using linux as my daily driver today because I want to support it and because it is more fun to use.

That is my opinion. However, I should have said "Gnome is more beautiful out-of-the-box as compared to other DEs."

The poll might have been created prior to the release of Zorin 16 Lite but the thread is still open and accessible.

Emphasis on:

Yet, that is not what we see.

To you I quote:
Instead of asserting without evidence, provide statistics.

I posted the first image that you get when you visit gnome's website.
The image is of GNOME OS which is in fact the default view of GNOME OS. Sure, some windows were open but everything else in the image was not altered whatsoever The XFCE desktop as you mentioned is also the default desktop and I could not find a better image of the default XFCE desktop.

This shows nothing but arrogance on your side. I find your reasoning completely illogical. Had your argument been in good sport, you would have created a poll unless you are afraid to lose (if so, please be assured that I am not trying to fight or win a battle here).

I am sorry, I did not understand that did you mean to say:

• Not Overwhelming
  • Not Distracting from productivity
  • Not Too hard for their simple minds to understand

??

I think you are pointing the finger at me.
If so...I have only said so while mentioning "bugs". Oh, yeah and someone in this forum had said.

The only person in this thread who said that GNOME has more bugs than any other software in the world (don't mind the exaggeration).
So far we have only talked about the so-called rough edges of gnome.
I remember @StarTreker getting his mouth zipped when he complained about all the problems and bugs about XFCE and Zorin OS Lite.
Am I going to meet with the same fate!?

2 Likes

I disagree about Linux being funded by big corporations as acceptable. A lot of funding by individuals keep the Free Software Foundation going. Linux users who are happy to see 5th Columnists like Microsoft are not aware of the long-term dangers. And when a German Software engineer that helps maintain the Linux kernel calling M$ contributions to writing drivers for USB hardware as "Scheisse" in English you know it's not good.

@Aravisian Nothing wrong in calling systemd out for what it is, or Pulse Audio for what it is as bloatware either!

1 Like

I just glanced at the postings since I posted... reading most of it... LOL

Can we please just do away with the word "Polished".... I really hate when people say that, because to me it's like someone is trying to sell me snake oil. Polished to you, is not polished to me.

I use Cinnamon as my DE, not Gnome and I can't see how a poll on the forum of the distro who pushes Gnome is any indication of Gnome is more used than any other DE.

I also hate, hate this Mac OS knock off nonsense of desktop theming. The first thing I did was put the task bar back to the old way and did away with any top bars. Yes, I get it some people think it's nice or elegant, I think it's ridiculous and counter productive for me when working. I'm getting old and I'm set in my ways. :grinning:

@Aravisian is 100% correct that most users will not tinker with their system after their initial setup. They'll apply their pictures to background and lock screen, put their icon set, theme, etc, etc.. and leave it. The problems arise when trying to even do the most basic of stuff with Gnome. The usual answer is install Gnome Tweaks, then add this ext. and that ext. But Why???? How is that user friendly? It's not. I tried in vain to get my lock screen background to change under Gnome in Zorin. Installed Cinnamon and low and behold everything I wanted to customize was right there in settings. No adding this, no adding that, no let's open the terminal on a night in April under a full moon and reconfigure a dozen files. I can change anything on my task bar, lock screen, icons, buttons, back ground with ease.. Not once needed to go to the terminal to try and change some obscure file some place. That is user friendly, in particular for Window users coming over to Linux. Gnome, not so much. I'm also not understanding how some Gnome users say KDE is too confusing because of too many options. Like the Windows settings area isn't confusing? They'll learn what things do and where they're at, unlike Gnome where there's no choice at all and you have to spend hours going through forums to find the correct file to change.

As for Gnome extensions, they exist because the Gnome devs keep removing things that the end users actually want. Then Gnome dev's go out their way it seems with their updates to make sure that the extensions break. So how long before the extensions Zorin put in break?

There's a reason over the decades so many people have walked away from the Gnome dev's, it can't always be everyone else and Gnome dev's are blameless. It's because Gnome is a mess, with zealot Dev's.

I consider myself just a regular end user, I don't code I just like things to work. That being said, I know how to look things up all on my own and can fix things sometimes with help on things I don't understand. There are many things I still don't understand and in some cases to be frank, don't want to learn. I left Gnome, because it is unfriendly and extremely restrictive. I am your normal user......

2 Likes

But big companies really do make most of the big commits, without them nobody will write code for the kernel. Individuals are not enough, big companies are able to hire many people to write code for the kernel. It is not totally a bad thing because it also benefits you.

Round 2 Mma GIF by FIGHTMAG

1 Like

Zorin got me back on Gnome for the first time since 2017. I still like Budgie and run both. Just installed Endeavour OS W/Budgie and it is the antithesis of a beginner friendly OS, but I get to setup and install everything from scratch. That's my idea of fun now-days. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I started out my Linux adventure with Zorin12 Core i.e. gnome. I have stayed with gnome so far as it does the job with the work Zorin devs have done and once you have added gnome tweaks to allow some cosmetic adjustments.

I would not say gnome is either user-friendly or unfriendly, but I have limited time playing with xfce as a potential alternative.

Maybe for Linux noobs just looking for a functional DE the inability to customise all and everything is a good thing, as it avoids options to tinker and destroy.

3 Likes

Could be worse. You could find it fun to be on a Linux forum. :face_with_monocle::thinking:
:open_mouth::yum:

2 Likes

All D.E.'s come pre-configured.

Yes.
Let me offer you a reason that has a lot to do with why this thread exists:
Because people have been convinced that either MS or Gnome are somehow different or special.
With wording promoted that is different or special.

There are things I like about Gnome. There are things I dislike about XFCE or Cin or KDE.
This is not along the lines of "XFCE rules, Gnome Drools."
What it is; is that users that promote Gnome are highly likely to call it polished - when I have made strong and valid points demonstrating that Gnome lacks polish compared to other D.E.'s and those same users are highly likely to call other D.E.'s like XFCE "ugly" or "Outdated."
Users that say other D.E.s are ugly, etc are likely to describe Gnome as "Modern, Smooth, sleek..." I Also notice a trend that KDE, XFCE, Cinnamon, etc users tend to not use these vague and leading terms.
I would like to address why these terms are used by one crowd, but not the other. These are leading words, specifically for the purpose of influencing others to agree with them for fear of not being up to date or modern enough. For fear of being someone that likes ugly things, so they had better get with the times.

Why do people stay with Microsoft Windows? Because it is Modern? Sleek? Smooth? GOOD?
It is most often because they do not know anything different and fear that change.
Not because Windows is Good.
It's what is familiar, what they are used to... It's not good but at least they know how to use it. Which is what Makes Zorin OS different as a distro - and a very important Distro.
Please remember: I have used Windows most of my life. I only recently made the change to Linux. And it was hard.
I had to confront much about myself and no one likes doing that.
I had to learn a lot of new things and that was time consuming.
I had to accept a lot of change and I dislike change.
These things made me want to go back to Windows and had I had a Windows Disk, I probably would have.

I notice a trend that as users on this forum begin to believe in themselves and trust themselves, they begin to have a much easier time integrating into and enjoying Linux.
And if Gnome is emulating Microsoft dogma and tactics... Then that very important feature is being removed.

Not at all.
A poll of Opinions is not going to scientifically weigh the facts. It will only assert opinions. I am not as interested in opinions, I am interested in a debate that will actively examine the assumptions. That will actively reveal the important and necessary reasons for opinions, rather than creating an atmosphere of feeling entitled to ones opinions.

Losing, does not concern me. If I lose a debate, that means that my assumptions were questioned and found wanting and that allows me to learn and progress. Losing a debate can be helpful and beneficial. Losing ego only makes a person upset.

@StarTreker did not get his mouth zipped. Treker was calling Zorin OS LIte "Broken" and "Unstable" and this was confronted due to these particular statements being inaccurate. Zorin OS Lite 16 had just been released and these inaccurate descriptions were harmful to allowing users to consider Zorin OS 16 - In short, that was unfair of Treker. No one Zipped his mouth - three of us directly Asked Star Treker, repeatedly, to consider his wording and to try to be a bit more fair. And to be fair, Treker did edit some posts and try to.

I am still trekers Friend. Whether Treker is mine is up to Treker. But I did not wrong Treker,; Treker chose Trekers own path. The downside of exchanging Friendship is that it allowed me to treat Treker differently, allowing Treker to get away with more. Treker was getting a bias from me.

I understand your perspective elegant - but this is a rather Low-Blow. You are getting very personal here and you are also misrepresenting what had happened. And Treker is not deleted or removed... He merely put that on his profile himself. He is taking some time off by his own choice. I have done this before, too. In this time, he can reflect and think about all these things. He can also see clearly that disagreeing with others is the mark of friendship. And no one who pretends to agree for a friendship truly values it.

Productivity:
On Gnome, when I open a new window, for example, Inkscape, GIMP or many other things I work with, it opens as minimized on the taskbar. I find this infuriating and it cuts heavily into my productivity.
This does not happen on Cinnamon or XFCE or KDE.
On these other desktops, when I open something in a new Window- that window opens and I can get right to work inside that window instead of hunting that window down.
This is One Example. I cannot list all the examples considering how long my posts are getting... But we can go one at a time.
Once these infuriating things happen, I wish to change that setting. I couldn't find it. i still haven't found it. Since I have a choice - other options, I just use XFCE or Cinnamon.
Perhaps a user may educate me on where that setting is. On Gnome, when I go to use any tool - the tool bar is gone. I need to chase after my tools that are hidden inside of hamburgers.
And many of those setting found on toolbars and on menubars are just not in the cramped hamburgers of Gnome. This is not good for productivity.
Gnomes philosophy is that the UI needs to get out of the users way opening up Precious Screen Real Estate.
This is the opposite of reality. Most of gnomes apps and windows waste huge swaths of screen real estate with empty space, while removing the toolbars I need to have fast and productive access to My Tools.

Others call this toolbar that increases workflow "Ugly". Does this make any valid sense, at all?

Really and a reminder to all:
The question is:
Gnome is pushed as being More User Friendly, not ugly like other D.E.'s, more polished... And so on. Does it truly fit this bill? We can argue the pros and cons of Gnome vs other D.E.'s and we can demonstrate the Good that is in Gnome as well as the bad in others, easily. But that is not really the question. The question is, is Gnome as it is described?
Confronting this is very important to Linux, to users old and new.
Some of Gnomes direction is being taken, and those of us that can enjoy Gnome due to being able to customize it to our productive workflow or to our comfort or liking are LOSING this ability.
LibAdwaita removes Orchis theme. You are not allowed to use it because Gnome says they do not want you to.
Many of us that rely heavily on and enjoy Gnome Extensions... are LOSING that ability. Gnome voiced a strong desire to stop theming. They deliberately (and they admitted this) altered the gtk toolkit with each release to break user themes until version 3.20 when the stakeholders for Gnome made Gnome sign a pledge agreeing to stop breaking themes. After 3.20, themes stopped breaking. But Gnome got to work on LibAdwaita which sidesteps that pledge by halting all custom theming.
Now... Gnome development has voiced Gnome-Extension "hacks" as their next target.

Consider this direction. Consider it very Carefully.

And if some of you believe that The Microsoft way Works: That controlling Users by dumbing it all down and restricting freedom... and that Gnome should emulate this... Then you are Imposing Your Beliefs and Your Will on the rest of us.
The vast majority of users here seek to get away from that... Only to find it being promoted here, now?

3 Likes

I didnt read all posts i just share my thoughts.

• I like gnome because of simplicity , i tried both xfce and kde , i like how kubuntu and xubuntu look out of the box but everytime i click on setting in kde and i see too many option too many tabs too many checkboxes to configure things and its terrifying. But in gnome in just 2min after installing OS you can review all settings , as a noob user this what i want to see.
  • Also people asking for help in this forum about gnome because most of us using zorin core , if zorin had kde version things could have been different.
  • majority of users are noob or busy or just lazy people and as i see gnome is doing good job covering their need
2 Likes

I did, from a distance :joy:

https://i.imgur.com/85Z2oSa.gif

3 Likes

A screenshot of that dfference would I believe be useful illustration for Gnomeettes to see, if they have not looked at what alternative DE's offer.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Addressing StarTreker and Moderation

You my friend...backed me up without knowing. :relaxed: :relaxed:

Edited in content from other thread per Elegant_Emperors request:
Edited again...This time by the Emperor himself...Moved the post in a more suitable place.

That was a long post...took time to read and reflect after something else that you don't know about...

You are going with the words again...
By pre-configured I meant that Gnome reduces or halves the work in setting up their OS..Weather you like it or not depends upon you, I certainly do because I am person of the current generation whom the older ones consider "lazy and spoon-fed".

Microsoft is..not sure about GNOME...If Microsoft did not exist today, people would not even want to switch on their computer..Why?
Because they provide everything on your doorstep. I am not saying Microsoft is better than Linux, because both of them are good at what they seek to achieve. Maybe if we did not have to open the terminal and sudo blah blah blah for basically everything I would say Linux has won the competition. However, this does not mean that this will remain forever thanks to the recent developments being made in the Linux factory".

I don't know about others...I have not used any of the words polished, modern, smooth or sleek so far.

I don't see how...I find everything else equally "modern" to that of gnome...And even if something is considered outdated, it does not mean that it should not be used anymore...If something is called modern, sleek or smooth then that does not show fear but appreciation. If the consumers appreciate GNOME DE then what is bugging you?..No one is calling XFCE or KDE or Cinnamon outdated, dull or rough...

I find other DEs equally modern and smooth but if that isn't reflected by the consumers then it is because they did not find anything modern or sleek or smooth in their desktop environment...

I did not find anything difficult to understand thanks to Zorin OS and everyone in this forum and also because I am a quick learner but you made a valid point and it makes sense.."People don't want to change because they dislike change." (I will note that down in my quote diary)...

I also like to have fun...and who doesn't. But that does not mean people should for get their work and fiddle with their newly discovered Operating System all the time and Gnome aims to remove that..GNOME makes sure that people can get their work done in Linux without much hassle and configuration.

And here I thought you want to simply know what others feel...Had I known it was a debate I would not have participated.
At first I thought this thread was created because of my reply to @Bourne in my tutorial page on How to install various DEs? because just after 30 minutes of posting that reply you created a thred on "Why I hate GNOME and you should too." . Later on when others posted their opinions and beliefs I thought you just wanted to know what others feel..How was I supposed to know that you were challenging my reasoning and wanted to debate?

Noting that quote too.. :writing_hand:

That did not happen to me....ever. I guess it is a bug or it was added in a recent update.

NO ONE..I mean NO ONE! has called other DEs ugly..Gnome was only called more beautiful.. I don't really want to argue on user-friendliness and polish (snake-oil?? :rofl: :rofl: LMAO) anymore.

Where did you hear that?? I did not hear anything like that..Show me where it says that..I love orchis theme. If they remove it, then they will leave a sour taste in my mouth.

I never denied that GNOME breaks extensions and prevents theming but why are you stuck with it...GNOME still works without theming atleast you can apply a wallpaper and every distro provide their own bit of themes and changes to the OS so for those people who love customising, they can avoid using GNOME and if they feel the need to convert a dock to dash or getting the superkey to open the app menu instead and other such reasons are just too picky and cause unnecessary tantrums. I agree that users who come to Linux come mostly for the privacy and freedom and customisation but the way Linux shows itself will not attract many people. I am user who does not care if Microsoft or Facebook or Google is selling away my data because it is not hurting me. As long as I can get my work done and sleep well with the (no matter how much hopeless) Windows OS lying around, why should I cry? After all I don't care about customisation and freedom (from what? or is it freedom of choice? Linux seems to have blundered with that also).

At the end of the day I am come to you not as a Microsoft salesman or a "Gnome-hired-me guy"; neither do I say "Microsoft sucks..Linux rocks" or "Leave Gnome Today!"
I am a guy with free will and always decide independently. I don't let others decide for me. I always read other's perspective of seeing things carefully and decide for myself weather 'what they are saying is correct and should I change my mind'.
I am ending my argument and would not contribute to this debate further....
sudpense killed

Little reading this hot discussion.
I found in this discussion two sides where with one i have feelings talking about how good is gnome or xfce from design sides for users. Another sides i saw a xfce or design for people where desktop is very flexible to configuration for users how they liked. What I can sayed our forum is little small to get statistic how many people using Gnome or XFCE to them preferences. Here mostly i saw like "Zeus with Atena" (old mythology gods) trying proof something what is like football in a game. Why? Because we don't know what will be example next 6 months with Gnome or XFCE. It could be shapes the way where today our words can be changed because this is linux and he is evolved on many years. Canonical like a Gnome trying to get bigger piece from a cake. We know linux is used for every server unit also every hardware router,tv and any hardware electronics and there isn't a design DE but working very good.
What I remember I vote for xfce because i have a old pc. I tested a GNOME and yes sometimes some package in store working and someone not working about snap or flat if i have choice deb then mostly i installing a deb if i can.
Linux Torvalds also sayed to much diffrents way is difficult to create a Desktop Linux for users example like a chromebook or android. In Zorin one from many distributions is very diffrent from another is only two people.

1 Like