Is Gnome user-friendly?

Not necessarily. Gnome hopes to disable / remove Extensions, considering them to be "hacks."
Other desktop environments do not consider plugins to be "hacks" and encourage their use.

This is a pretty big difference.

1 Like

To get a pure Gnome experience try Fedora, it comes without Gnome Tweaks or extensions. It also has the latest version of Gnome. Extensions are not part of the the intended Gnome experience.They have never been officially supported and only tolerated to date.

Is GNOME slower than XFCE?

XFCE takes half the RAM, but still with a lot of features and customizability. KDE is midweight, Cinnamon almost as heavy as Gnome. But if you have a lot of RAM (4 GB and up) it probably doesn't make much difference. Your browser is going to slow you down more than your desktop.

2 Likes

T'is very true .... I have 16 GB so very little slows down my Asus ROG gaming laptop but then I don't use powerful graphic type apps ....

My laptop came with 8 GB and before I even took it home after purchasing .... I took it straight to the authorized service center and had them install another 8 GB .... and it will do me for the time being .... and as it is now out of warranty if I decide to purchase more I can do it myself ......

People what using xfce with many years will be using that. Everyone liked a "toys".
This is something like a girls liked a dolls and boys liked a cars.
Sometimes is weird if we observation a some girls what liked toys a cars,soldiers or football. People don't like learning new things. Ok someone can sayed old windows 7 was best but in forward future now windows 7 is a legend and now we have windows 11. We cannot stop things what changing a worl and coming a new with fresh blood young generation. I remember big computers and now they all are minimalized. We are a slave technology.

1 Like

Quite true..Things also depend on how different generations see it. A 12 year old may find something much easier than what a 40 year old thinks is difficult to understand and vice versa.

That is true. Our child when we are young was a toys and bicycle.
Old vhs casette,walkman,discman, simple headphones,atari,commodore with joystick. Some diy things.
Now mobile,tablest,ipads,mini pc, social app, internet everywhere.
Electrics bicycle,cars,scooter.

1 Like

I have been reading through the back and forth in this thread after getting to a breaking point with Zorin 16, or perhaps Gnome in general.

I made the switch from Windows to Zorin in November after researching distros and coming to an agreement with those who praised Zorin as an alternative for Linux newbies.

I'm pretty tech savvy for a 68 year old and gave Ubuntu a try several years ago.
At first after installing and doing some minor tweaking to Zorin I was pleased with the result.

However, over time I've become increasing frustrated with a wide range of issues. Everything from trying to find an app that actually does what it says will do and what I would like it to do, to resolving errors that with the help of folks like Aravisian, French Press and others only to have them reappear with no explanation.

For example, I was unable to connect my Brother printer without assistance, and even now trying to scan a document involves a number of steps from the desktop. I can't just place the document on the scanner and push a button on the printer as I could in Windows.

It's frustrating searching this forum, YouTube and other areas for solutions to issues. Many times they involve opening a terminal and typing or copy/pasting "sudo yadda yadda". I'm always having to type in my password because every time I boot the computer I get a message about the key ring needing a password, which I type in every time but have no way to save it.

What's very frustrating is trying to import Windows programs. I've tried several apps that say they allow users to set up a Windows program, the latest being Bottles.

It was the only app that actually let me install MusicBee, but when I opened it in Zorin I could not access my music library and the program itself lacked any of the features in the Windows version.

I have a thumb drive with the Windows iso sitting on my desk. I'm debating about whether it's time to plug it in, or after reading about the Gnome issues in this thread, should I give another distro (the latest version of Mint is at the top of the list) and see if it's an improvement over my Zorin experience.

Sorry for being so long-winded about the isses that have built up over the past five months.

Cheers all.

You could give Zorin OS Lite a try, as well.
I have gone through three printers in the last couple of years - with scanner - never had any issues on any of the three different brands.

This is a google chrome issue. If using a Chrome-based Browser, this can happen. Brave, Chrome, Edge... Never had this happen with Vivaldi, strangely...
The usual fix is (using Chrome for this example with a sudo yadda yadda :wink: ):

sudo nano /usr/share/applications/google-chrome.desktop

For the Exec line, make it /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --password-store=basic %U
Tap ctrl+x to exit, then the y key to say yes to save, then the enter key to complete the action.

There is much that can be frustrating when things do not work. Or work correctly.
And how different people can have different experiences.
When I was on Windows... All Software worked as it should. Occassionally, I had trouble installing software - or ran into dependency issues (.net framework is notorious.)
But Printers... I never could get printers to work on Windows. For over a decade, I struggled with that Device manager that merely told me no new drivers were available and I was left feeling ignorant and helpless...

1 Like

The problem is some hardware are compatibility with some operating systems.
That why sometimes on some websides or specification hardware is what kind friendly some hardware peripherals working with that operating system. I know it could be a some tricky but for me this is clear economy business. I learning that with a couple years.

This is a google chrome issue. If using a Chrome-based Browser, this can happen.

I use Firefox, not a Chrome-based browser.

I followed your instructions to use sudo yadda yadda and it seems to have worked when I repeated the command in the terminal.

Let's see if it solves the problem across the distro.

I haven't picked up the thumb drive yet! :grinning:

Alright, so I was on my way writing this post but I had to leave for some work...seems like Aravisian has already addressed most of your problems.

Hmmm. I have read your post and to be honest the problems you listed were not GNOME specific. All of them were distro specific. Whatever you said, I had all of the same problems except for the printer issue. I think every linux users face some problems when they start their linux journey.

You can, however, try using mint which uses a different kernel version and may solve hardware issues. But, the terminal issue will remain. While most would argue that using the terminal isn't bad and that in some places it is actually better; I understand the problem with the terminal. I am not comfortable with the terminal very much and prefer GUI instead. That does not mean that changing distros will make life any easier. You will still need to use the terminal in all other linux distros for now. The same story is shared with windows apps. You will find the same problem in any other linux distro. Most windows apps are very hard to get to work in linux. I have practically givrn up and using alternatives instead.

What I am saying is that the issues you mentioned are not specific to GNOME at all.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.