Is it possible to have a cascading main menu?

I know applications are divided into categories but is it possible to have sub categories & sub sub categories and so on

Trivial example

"Games" category with a sub category of "strategy", "3d shooter", "driving" etc ?

Hello and welcome to the forum.
If you are using Zorin Lite (XFCE desktop) there is a function called "main menu" which lets you edit/create (sub)menus.

@eyot. Can you remind us which version and flavour of ZorinOS you are using?

If you have Gnome flavour then I cant see how you can increase the nesting of apps beond the one level. However, others may know a way.
It may also be different on XFCE flavours of ZorinOS, but I cannot check that myself.

It is possible with XFCE.

Can you describe how?

Open terminal and issue the command:
menulibre

Well... yes, but how do you use Alacarte (Main Menu) or MenuLibre to create Sub-Categories?

Click on the plus sign (+) on the left top to add directory.

That adds a Category directory... But is there an option to cascade that under an existing directory to make it a sub category?

If you select any of the category before clicking the plus sign, it will make a subcategory there.

1 Like

Got it; just successfully made one. I learned a new thing, today. :smiley:

1 Like

Wow, it sounds so unreal.
I knew something you did not know?
As you said somewhere collected brains are better than one :smile:

2 Likes

I am not so sure whether the OP @eyot is still with us, but I summarise how to create cascading/sub menu in XFCE desktop.

1. Open Menu Editor from the list of programmes or
    from terminal (ctrl+ alt +T)
    menulibre

2. Select the directory where you would like to create a sub menu and click on the plus (+) sign in a tool bar.

@Aravisian do you think you can tick this question as solved if OP never comes back to this thread? I think it would help for the future visitors who have a same question.

1 Like

@FrenchPress if you click the "..." under the post, can you then see a []Solution icon ?

Nope.
I think I do not have a same privilege as you do.
This is what I see when clicking on the three dots under my post.

Ah. OK.

@aravisian I have marked the post as Solution whilst here, to save you the trouble.

2 Likes

I made a mistake!
it should have been (ctrl + alt + T)

@zabadabadoo and @Aravisian
Can you edit the solution section if the original posting?
I do not want to misguide the beginners.

Sorry for the post & run guys

Shortly after posting this I received some family news that's knocked me sideways and I'm not really feeling it at the moment

Also I'd forgotten how good you guys were, I wasn't expecting replies this quickly

Would anyone mind if I put a pin in this & got back to it when I'm able to concentrate again ?

2 Likes

You are always welcome here to ask questions.
I am sure all volunteers in this forum are more than happy to help you out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe this can help you

1 Like