Issues with Sound on Pro 16

I think @Aravisian could give you an advise for manually upgrading kernel.

So updated to the new kernel 5.11.0-34 today on Dell XPS 9710 and basically got more of the same. Sound issues have not improved. Tried to start PaVu control to try and switch to the correct output device, however, the correct output is not listed. Not sure what else can be done. Any advice on this is appreciated. Someone please save me from windows hell :frowning:

Thanks

Since you have purchased Zorin 16 Pro, you can ask for help from developers for installation problem. Send a reply message to the email you have received when you bought Zorin 16 Pro.

ok thanks will do.

1 Like

33 posts were split to a new topic: Dell XPS 13-9343 Sound troubels Z OS 16 Plus assorted debris

Just a gentle reminder the title of this thread is: "Issues with Sound on Pro 16" :wink:

@Masterpier (if you are still following this) Can you run Alsamixer from terminal and post a screenshot.

Sure just giving an update, updated to kernel 5.11.0-36 today and no change still getting dummy output adding screenshot per request of alsamixer

Aravisian recommend's trying out the new 5.14 kernel, but you can't get it from the Zorin repo. So, you have to download it from Github I assume. He says the 5.14 kernel might fix issues, so try that.

But always backup a system before trying a new kernel. Yes you can always revert back to an earlier kernel, but just incase, please backup the drive first.

so I would love to move to 5.14 however don't think it will work with Vmware Workstation.

I think you are referring to a different member. I had not recommended any Unsigned Kernel.

The recommendation I have made is to Modify /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and blacklist.

OK so I've tried it all, kernel 5.14.6 and I've run commands Aravisian recommended, and after reboot still getting dummy output.

Masterpier, you seem to be in two different threads on one issue. How can we sort this out?

And you wonder how I get confused so much... lol

sorry, saw another user with an XPS thought there might have been answers on the other thread. I do have a newer model XPS so we can remain here if you prefer. Desperate at this point to get this working. So to be clear if I connect a USB-C headphone I get sound it's onboard speakers that are not working.

1 Like

You may have already been asked this but can you print the output of:

lspci -nnk | grep -A2 Audio

reggie@zorin16-pro:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -A2 Audio
0000:01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:228e] (rev a1)
Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0a5d]
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
reggie@zorin16-pro:~$

Can you try:

echo "options snd-hda-intel model=generic" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

reggie@zorin16-pro:~$ echo "options snd-hda-intel model=generic" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
options snd-hda-intel model=generic

Have you rebooted and tested it?

Yes I did, no sound but not showing dummy output, attaching a screenshot