Its possible XFCE in Zorin Core

Hi its possible install this DE in Zorin OS 15.2 Core because its more light than GNOME in my Intel Atom N455 thanks

You can install Zorin Lite which is the same as Zorin Core except it uses XFCE4 desktop (Zorin connect is based on a Gnome Extension, but you CAN install KDE connect in Zorin Lite and use it- which is what I do).

Or, you can install xfce4 on Zorin Core with

sudo apt install xfce4

If you want fuller Zorin experience:

sudo apt install zorin-os-desktop-lite

6 Likes

Thanks a lot for your patience and explain to me this things congratulations to all staff in this distribution are amazing and restore my old machime here Atom N455

1 Like

It seems that zorin-os-desktop-lite doesn't exist anymore on Zorin 16 beta. I'm trying to get a full xfce experience in VM.

The Zorin OS Desktop Lite is not yet configured for Zorin OS 16.
The Release of Core is first. Zorin OS Lite, Ultimate and Education (core and lite) follow.
When the ZorinGroup announces the release of Zorin OS Lite (Either as Beta or as final release), users will be able to access installing the Zorin Lite desktop from the Zorin Package Repository. This can be handy for a Zorin OS Core user that would like to experience Zorin OS Lite without doing a full reinstall.

To do so on Zorin 16 (Beta or Core final release) prior to the release of Zorin 16 Lite:

sudo apt install xfce4

Follow the prompts, including configuring LightDM
This part is if you have numbers in your login password:

sudo apt install numlockx

sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/lightdm.conf

Add this line: greeter-setup-script=/usr/bin/numlockx on and save and exit.

Install the Zorin Menu for Zorin Lite Desktop:

sudo apt install xfce4-zorinmenulite-plugin

While this is not the fullest Zorin Lite experience - it is reasonably close. The user will need to configure some things and may not have the dockbarx without installing and configuring that as well. The desktop itself is the same as well as the performance.

EDIT: (A long time later)
For those who want XFCE 4.16 (instead of XFCE 4.14) on Zorin 16:
If you have already installed sudo apt install xfce4 or sudo apt install xubuntu-desktop then you can add the repository:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xubuntu-dev/staging

sudo apt update

sudo apt upgrade

If you want to install fresh, then add the repository as above, then sudo apt update followed with sudo apt install xfce4 or sudo apt install xubuntu-desktop
Be aware that XFCE 4.16 is the version that is partially switched over to CSD's.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Installed xfce on Zorin OS 16 - odd behavior

A post was merged into an existing topic: Installed xfce on Zorin OS 16 - odd behavior

I'm getting

Unable to locate package zorin-os-desktop-lite

I'm Ultimate 15.3

What is he terminal output of

sudo apt-cache search zorin-os

1 Like

After enabling XFCE, how do you switch back to the Zorin Core Gnome desktop? Are there any gotchas when switching between desktop environments?

Generally no - with one exception. Plasma 5 (KDE) has a gotcha.
Plasma will add the Breeze Themes and these themes can override the gtk themes in use on another desktop. Aside from this...
Cinnamon, XFCE, LXDE, LXDE-gtk3, Mate, Budgie, Enlightenment and Gnome have no "gotchas" to be wary of when switching between.

Accessing a desktop environment is determined at point of Login. So you switch D.E.'s at the Login screen. If you are using LightDM due to having installed XFCE, you can switch Desktops using the icon on the Upper Right Side of the login screen.
If you are using GDM from Gnome, then you have to beg and plead and jump through some hoops that I never figured out. You are supposed to click the Gear Icon, but you have to first make the gear icon appear... and to do that, you must run a side quest delivering dragon juice to the gnome at the top of Crestfall Mountain. But to get the dragon juice, you have to enter a demon deal in Death Valley...

1 Like

While your question was in relation to Zorin OS Ultimate 15.3 and I am on Zorin OS Core 16.3, I did find that the package was named differently when I performed "sudo apt-cache search zorin-os". This is what I get:

zorin-os-lite-desktop - Zorin OS Lite desktop system

(as opposed to zorin-os-desktop-lite)

That said, @Aravisian's instructions worked perfectly - with thanks. I am now running XFCE 4.16 on Zorin Core 16.3.

Some additional comments

• Login screen: To select the Zorin OS Lite Session from the standard Zorin Core GDM (Gnome) login screen - first select your user as you normally do, after which, on the next screen where you enter your password, you will see a settings-cog in the bottom right corner which can be easily missed. Clicking on this will allow you to select Zorin Core (Gnome), Zorin Lite (XFCE) or indeed other variants including plain Gnome and plain XFCE.
  • Sound issues: For some reason, I had to reconfigure the sound all over again in spite of this fully working (eventually) on Zorin Core 16.3 under Gnome. All the usual steps for Ubuntu 20.04 (not related to Zorin) did the trick (e.g. alsamixer, pavucontrol, restart).