Just one small issue . .

Hello all, I have used a Linux based system for the past 5 years or so and have mooched around most of the distributions out there, I installed Zorin the other day whilst looking for a friendly disto for an elderly neighbour who gets confused easily but who still needs to communicate online with his family abroad. I must say I was very impressed at the clear and simple implementation of the Gnome desktop. So much so that I coughed up for the Ultimate version for myself . . . I know, right! It’s very, very pretty.

But oh dear that logo on the top bar.

Otherwise a very pleasant, easy to use and navigate system gui with a good selection of programs and options.

Interested to see if Zorin goes down the Mint path of building a Ubuntu free version, just in case Conical takes a nose dive?

Is this the one small issue? I'm not sure I understand what it is that you are referring to, here. Could you please clarify?

I was making note that the “ZORIN” logo on the activities button seems to be the one poor design choice in the overall aesthetic of the OS. Pity because in general I think it’s the prettiest out of the box OS I have seen.

Your feedback always helps.

This is something that you could modify, if you felt so inclined. Elevated to root; In the gnome-shell.css, the section (starting at line 749 in my copy):
#panel .panel-button {
-natural-hpadding: 12px;
-minimum-hpadding: 6px;
font-weight: bold;
color: #333333;
transition-duration: 200ms;
text-shadow: none; }
#panel .panel-button .app-menu-icon {
-st-icon-style: symbolic;
margin-left: 4px;
margin-right: 4px; }

You can copy the above script to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css (If the gtk.css file does not exist, create it) and adjust the background color for the button or placing. Under app-menu-icon, you can direct to a different icon OR, you can leave the .css as it is and replace the icon in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/symbolic that references the Zorin Logo Icon (I cannot recall off the top of my head the name of the icon in the Gnome Desktop, but it is probably Zorinappmenu - you will know it when you see it) with an icon you prefer.

If you have a detailed idea of what you would like changed or can make a screenshot showing what you think would suit your tastes better, perhaps I can help you to make the changes you want and then send you the file.

My first response to reading the logo on the top bar got me as mine is on the bottom!.

If you install Gnome Tweaks you can then in stall the Gnome Shell Extension GnoMenu which lets you hide the Z and just have ‘menu’ showing, or search for an Icon and point GnoMenu to that. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for your help chaps, but my comment was one of style not of technical ability. But thank you again for your help. What do you think of the design of the logo and it’s reflection as to the design aesthetic of the OS? .

I gave up on that argument a long time ago! you could scale down my ‘Blue Moon’ which was based on the official logo up until Zorin 7:

https://www.deviantart.com/swarfendor437/art/Zorin-Blue-Moon-828080198

or Atlantis inspired:

https://www.deviantart.com/swarfendor437/art/Inspired-by-Atlantis-Part-1-by-Aquascape1-827660742

I took a picture of the moon with a Canon S-100 through a reflective telescope with moon filter then superimposed the original logo. :wink:

Honestly, it's one of the things I like most.
Tastes vary. :wink:

But the style can be changed as noted above.

Your certainly right taste does vary . . .
I had already changed the logo to a system icon. I just seemed such an obvious deviation from the overall style, I thought others would have some interesting thoughts.

Surly not all posts here are requests for help? That seems a little sad?

1 Like