KDE Plasma reinstall - failed

Had an issue with plasma...so tried reinstalling.... The rabbit hole is real:

libdvd-pkg: Checking orig.tar integrity...
/usr/src/libdvd-pkg/libdvdcss_1.4.3.orig.tar.bz2: OK
libdvd-pkg: `apt-get check` failed, you may have broken packages. Aborting...

Had held packages (before this attempt). So I tried full-upgrade. Still held. So dist-upgrade... still held. Ok... I manually installed each package:

sudo apt install coreutils dns-root-data iptables libip4tc2 libip6tc2 libxtables12

This ended up failing in the libxtables12 unpack. Said I might have broken packages. So ran sudo apt install --fix-broken. No output. Ran update after, and except for gpg deprecated warnings, nothing.

Tried the reinstall of kde, and received the above error.

I'm kind of at a loss here. My mind just isn't into fixing it. Haven't tried installing anything else...but I'm up to try whatever.

Apt searched the libdvdcss, came up with several options...one was ubuntu-restricted-extras...tried reinstall -> Fail...same error.

Another was zorin-os-restricted-extras...tried reinstall -> Fail... same error.

All my sources say jammy.
What am I missing?

~$ sudo apt install --fix-broken
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

HUH?

The packages that you attempted to install manually showed up in synaptic for me last night , but were not available on the software updater. My first attempt to install them showed iptabels as broken when marked.

I tried some time later after reloading synaptic and was able to upgrade the packages. I am on the Zorin gnome desktop so I'm not sure that it is plasma related.
Synaptic keeps a history, but only when it is used to install or update packages.
Try

sudo dpkg --configure -a 
       sudo apt clean 
       sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

Screenshot from 2024-02-13 19-39-05

1 Like

Thank you... I'll give it a try tomorrow.

I had used synaptic in the attempt to fix the broken packages after no response from apt (though no response is supposed to mean it worked).

I did all of this from gnome, so the plasma packages would be writable (not in use by the system).

I could remove the *ip* packages, and reinstall them by synaptic.

I may have to return to 16, remove kde and reinstall that after upgrade.

While the upgrader tool anticipates many software packages and handles their sources rather well, other DEs are an entirely different issue. This may be the cause of my issue.

I tried removing kde-full, but it says it's not installed. Yet I can still log into plasma.

Go figure, right?!

I've made the Experience with held-back Packages that wait 2 or 3 Days solves the Problem mostly because in this Time the Packages are going in the updatable Situation.

Have you yet run:

sudo apt remove --purge libdvd-pkg && sudo apt --fix-broken install

sudo apt clean && sudo apt autoremove

Check for any down repos or errors:

sudo apt update

If none, run:

sudo apt full-upgrade

1 Like

Ok...This is going to be a long one. I have resolved my issue. Thank you to Winged1, Ponce-De-Leon and Aravisian. All of your suggestions had a part in helping narrow down and resolve this.

What I did:

I didn't want to mess with dpkg right away, as I didn't know if it would break things to make them unusable. But I did run:

sudo apt clean
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

Gpg key errors, but otherwise, there were no errors.
Despite this, any installation resulted in the same error. So I removed libdvdcss.
Still, had broken packages.

Ran sudo apt install --fix-broken. No output. Any installation and it was still breaking, on different libraries. Attempt sudo apt full-upgrade and... nothing. Everything up to date.

Solution

This is where I was remembering something Frog was going through, and Aravisian's assistance in resolving his issues. So I started looking at the sources.

cat /etc/apt/sources.list showed all Jammy repos. Nothing new there, this I expected.

ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d showed all Focal repos. Ah. Why is this? Checked some of the files, and they listed Jammy repos inside.

Well, that's confusing. So, thinking this was something missed by the upgrader (it's an easy miss, don't blame the makers). I wondered, what happens if you rename the files to jammy instead of focal?

The following is what I did:

cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d
for x in *"focal"*; do   sudo mv -- "$x" "${x/focal/jammy}";done

I know, WHAT?... It's a loop renaming any file with "focal" in it, to "jammy".
Quick break down:

for x in "focal"

This performs a loop, looking for focal in the file name, then returns the name to x

do sudo mv -- "$x" "${x/focal/jammy}";

This little piece of magic, is a move command (how you rename; ex mv original_file_name new_file_name)
using root privileges ( a must for this system directory)
utilizing bash replacement (--)
for x (the original file name)
to a bash replacement command parsing x for "focal" and replacing it with "jammy"

Then I wanted to verify the files were intact and unchanged:
for x in *; do sudo cat "$x";done
Simply prints the contents of every file in the directory (don't do this on a dir with a large number of files or contains sub-directories. You would need a check for file/directory, otherwise it will result in an error [can't cat a dir]).

Ok. That is done. Let's check how it worked.
sudo apt update
6 new updates. Cool, promising.

sudo apt upgrade
All upgraded without issue.

Wait. really? Yep. So let's check plasma:
sudo apt install kde-full
All packages already up to date.

HUH.

I'm really going to test this.

sudo apt remove kde-full -y
Removed without issue.

sudo apt autoremove
To remove all of the dependencies that are no longer in use.

sudo apt install kde-full

After three minutes, I'm back on Plasma 5.24.

Wait, the latest version of Plasma is 5.27. Have to add a repo, but did the full-upgrade:
sudo apt update
367 packages can be updated. Wow.

sudo apt full-upgrade
No issues, all upgraded, without issue.

Note to @staff

In the upgrader process, it never renames the source files listed in /etc/apt/sources.list.d. Because of this, many people are having issue with dependency breakages. While the sources.list and contents of each file in sources.list.d are renamed to jammy, the actual file names in sources.list.d are not.

If any of the software added by an individual is by an external repo, not the mainline, it will cause breakages and conflicts.

Feel free to use my loop within the upgrader.

1 Like

Just curious, does Plasma offer Plasma on X11 and alternarively Plasma on Wayland? Just curious (my Wayland option on kde neon has gone walkabout despite all wayland protocols being installed).

No, it's just x11. If there was a plasma on wayland, I didn't see it.

Think I have found the issue for me. Hadn't noticed this in the system tray of Plasma 5.27. I posted I had got an 'out of range' message after trying to launch an old game. Today saw a little square icon in the system tray, slightly different to the network icon. When I clickde on it it was a 'warning' mesaage that I was in safe graphics mode, i.e., nomodeset! So it now means I can no longer access Plasma on X11, only Wayland and since I tried to get Wayland back thinking it had gone AWOL I had added some packages that I thought could have got scrubbed, so now I also have 'Weston' as an option at login!

Just curious , did you install the kde-plasma-desktop or the kubuntu-desktop ?

Are you addressing me or 337harvey?

@337harvey

I did kde-full which includes plasma, not neon.

I did full to include all of the qt libraries, though it does install qt software as well. You could be fine with kde-plasma-desktop... depends on what all you're looking to get out of the experience.

I did not see any package indicating kubuntu, but I may have missed it as there were almost a page of packages, which I only skimmed over.

I was curious about the Kubuntu 17 screen-shot in settings. The banding is specific.

I'm pretty sure it was something modified during the update since it is a kubuntu repo.

To ensure I still had Zorin and all of its benefits, i logged into gnome and checked the about... still Zorin. I also reinstalled Zorin-os-desktop, zorin-os-pro and the pro package software.

I didn't put it there for people to doubt me. I've never lied on this forum, no need to. I tried to find a way to modify that so that it represents what is actually installed... but it is not configurable by a user.