KDE Plasma successfully install on Zorin?

This is more of a curiosity than anything else. I have seen on the forums people try to install KDE Plasma on Zorin OS, but to varying success (mostly with problems). Has anyone successfully installed KDE Plasma on here without lingering issues? I see on the login screen you can choose a desktop environment before logging in, so I assume with Gnome and KDE installed one could switch between DE's before logging in?

My curiosity came from me trying and failing to install a Global Menu on my mom's side to complete the MacOS feel. So I did a whole bunch of googling for the past few weeks. Seems like the Gnome devs aren't crazy about a Global Menu, and Fildem doesn't want to work on my end.

You do know that zorin os has a mac os theme in the pro version ? KDE is by far looking like mac os.

1 Like

Fildem only works on apps that support "tab menu" and that are the fewest apps that do it.
Instead tweak you Zorin OS by moving the taskbar to the top and move around the items to look like Mac, then use Plank as bottom launcher panel. You'll find Mac OS themes for Plank on gnome-look.org

Here's how my Zorin OS looks like with Plank and by moving the taskbar to the top.

3 Likes

Also, the trouble most users have with installing Plasma 5 on Zorin OS comes from when they want to remove it - and getting all the packages found and removed.
Installing it is easy.
Getting rid of it isn't.

3 Likes

Also even you can get Plasma look like Mac OS you need howto and there 100's of options you need to adjust for it. (I did it when I in a period used Manjaro KDE)

1 Like

Yes, I am aware. I have pro and have it set up. Again, the issue is no Global Menu like MacOS, which is what started me researching. I saw that some people were trying to install KDE on Zorin, but I haven't seen many success stories. Was just curious if anyone has is all.

Fildem only works on apps that support "tab menu" and that are the fewest apps that do it.
Instead tweak you Zorin OS by moving the taskbar to the top and move around the items to look like Mac, then use Plank as bottom launcher panel. You'll find Mac OS themes for Plank on gnome-look.org

Here's how my Zorin OS looks like with Plank and by moving the taskbar to the top.

Oh yeah, I have something similar set up! I LOVE the theme you got going on! Here's how I set my mom's side up.

Also even you can get Plasma look like Mac OS you need howto and there 100's of options you need to adjust for it. (I did it when I in a period used Manjaro KDE)

I managed to get my Steam Deck (which has KDE) to look like it. Minus the dock since Plank doesn't want to install. Something to do with the way Valve set up the OS.

Also, the trouble most users have with installing Plasma 5 on Zorin OS comes from when they want to remove it - and getting all the packages found and removed.
Installing it is easy.
Getting rid of it isn't.

Ohhh! I gotcha! I saw that KDE is a bigger, but does it interfere with how Zorin is set up?

Amen to that brother ..... I spent several months trying to get rid of those packages ..... KDE apps take over everything ..... thankfully for once I was glad when I had to do a fresh install of Zorin 16 Pro .... the only way I finally got rid of all those apps ..... the main program uninstalled fine but the apps hung on for dear life ..... :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like

I think it is a good idea to take a snapshot with Timeshift before installing a new DE.

1 Like

I agree but that was many months ago that I tied KDE and didn't have much experience .... by the way I use Rescuezilla as it takes a complete shot of my HD and I have a 1 TB external HD dedicated just for my Rescuezilla backups .....

Yes it is a PITA to have to use a bootable thumb drive to do backups but it is the ONLY way I have found to do backups successfully for me

I've tried others and managed to mess up every one of them ..... only Rescuezilla has saved the day for me ..... "so if it ain't broke don't fix it" ..... is my motto from now on when it comes to backup apps .... :grinning:

alfred_e_neuman

I have installed KDE and have been using it faithfully for almost a year and a half now. I did the complete install, not just the desktop (you'll need most of it anyway since KDE uses QT for the graphics). I'm running it with Nemo file manager. I've got the benefits and ability of both graphics libraries, so no limit on applications to run... even gives more options because of it.

It's stable and looks so much better than gnome (with more functionality built in). Even when you make it look like gnome (I like simplistic). There are screenshots in the show your desktop thread here. Instead of icons to open applications, I use keyboard shortcuts for the most often used apps.

There is a tutorial on installing KDE in the tutorials category.

If you're adventurous enough, you can even theme your grub menu. Read the instructions carefully and you won't have any issues.

1 Like
1 Like

KDE looks like crud compared to Zorin.

Hummmmm this should be interesting ..... :rofl:

6bdae79c1ec4223dbd071a701f9d53e141dd47d9

While you have the right to your opinion, have you taken a look at the pictures of my desktop? It looks just like Zorin's Gnome desktop. The "widget" is available through KDE, developed by a user. No need for a third party software to have widgets. There are so many possibilities for appearance, pre-made windows, Mac and other DE layouts that no two installations will be the same. You even have the option to theme both graphics libraries applications.

If you look at all of the extensions installed to make gnome usable, customizable.... it will have you looking for other DE's as well, since Gnome is removing extension support in future versions, and with it, basic functionality.

1 Like

I agree with @TabNumlock.

I just installed Plasma 5 on another build of Zorin OS. I figured... maybe all my own bad experiences with it were just bad luck or my inexperience - maybe I just never really gave it a chance and gave up too soon.
I opened Settings... and tried to change my icon set.
It wouldn't change.
Finally, it accepted the new icons... Except that some icons were showing as one set and some were showing as the previously selected set.
I closed all windows and opened settings and tried again...
I selected a new set.
Now, all windows showed a complete mash up of All Three Icon Sets.

Opened Dolphin... and I saw some folders in the first set, some in the second, some in the third.
The toolbar icons were the same way - just a mashup of all three sets.

To top it all off (I have noticed this every single time I have used KDE, Plasma etc), all the icons had a strange ugly rough border on them.
I have seen it on Kubuntu, Zorin, SolydK...

Ok fine. Icons don't work. Whatever.
I press on... I try changing Global Theme, Application Style and so on.
Same thing happens - I end up with windows showing a mixup of elements except that Different Windows Have Differing theme elements from the Other windows.

This is not the first time I have experienced this. I just thought may be they were my mistakes or that it was the build or bugs that have since been fixed... I mean, the default theme looked fine. Default Icons looked fine. Until I tried changing them.
And the settings made no sense. They were not logically organized at all. It was stuff thrown all over the place.

I Have Never Seen Anything So Hopelessly Broken.

Sure, I speak in support of KDE and Plasma - but I really only do because it offers an alternative that is Not Beholden to GTK and what Gnome is destroying with it.

But I have experienced Plasma more times than I can count and every single time I try giving it yet another fair chance... I always end up enraged and regretting it.
The (claimed) definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over expecting different results.
And KDE Plasma is pure insanity.

And the most disgusting of it is... Everytime I load up Plasma I feel just like I am on Windows. It has settings that Windows OS doesn't - sure... But they are so haphazard, broken and strewn around worse than the Windows Registry is.
Windows fills me with Less Rage than trying to make heads or tails of Plasma does.

Straight up...
If I cannot manage Plasma Desktop; it's got issues.

No, it's not me. I didn't give up too soon. I gave up too late - I should have given up on plasma before I typed y in the terminal to try it out.

And now... I need to go back into that build and try to scrub out the infesting VIRUS that Plasma Desktop is... I will face that later when my blood stops boiling.

1 Like

I remember when I installed a KDE it gived me mess on Zorin. KDE is for ppl who liked that DE i don't liked for me this isn't a balance it is overfull like a rainbow. Maybe I am from Ice Age and don't understable the new universum generation, where the technology and new ideas create our mind to new a world? I don't know maybe I am confuse or don't understable that evolution.

sits back & watches before rushing to try this. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes