Keyboard and mouse are off leaving monitor as in a Frozen state

Here is my plan.
1st Do not install any updates. Computer is now up todate.
2nd See how many days (up to 5 days never gotten over 3) I can get before it freezes with "Zorin Menu" EXT OFF.
3rd Turn "Zorin Menu" ON see how many days before it Freezes.
4th Repeat this two more times.
5th If the Zorin Gods haven't come up with anything then I will turn back on all EXT that were on before except "Zorin Menu" and see if the Freezing stays similar as in 2nd step. Install any updates.

1 Like

All EXT off and just got Freeze @1:19 am.
Will try this 1 more time.

This freezing problem reminds me of old Windows Blue Screen of Death. I starting to think Zorin 16 Core has something similar and it will be very unlikely if we find anything that will lead to the real problem. Because it will freeze just sitting idle or it will freeze when I am using the Edge browser.

Our electrical power went off just long enough to cause the computer to restart. So on 06/08 @ 1:19 am will be day two (I think) without a freeze. If I can get to day 4 then may be on to something. If it freezes on third day that tells me the EXT have nothing to do with it.

What do you think or do you have something else in mind or to try.

You may intensely dislike one proposed option:
Try Zorin OS Lite. The Freeze is a particular Gnome Desktop issue that does not afflict Zorin OS Lite which uses XFCE...

The only thing that scares me is after the install installing the canon MB2720 printer. It took several days getting the correct drivers, I just kept trying everything you suggested and some things I found on internet. I don't know what I did it just started working.

Question since the printer was installed should it reinstall finding the files/drivers it was using?
Would you explain in detail "how to install"?
Will the install of Zorin OS Lite delete all files and folders under Home?
Can Zorin OS Lite be installed as Dual Boot? Right now have Windows 10 and Zorin 16 Pro.

A bit like Ikea furniture, after the first nightmare assembly, it usually gets easier.
The drivers for your printer should be found here:
https://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDEwMDAwODM5OTAx&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

Once downloaded, extract the file. Opening the extracted directory, you will see a folder named Packages.
Open that and you will find cnijfilter2_5.40-1_amd64.deb
Double click that to run the installer.

That being said:

You could install Pro Lite that came with Zorin Pro alongside just for testing purposes. If it works out better for you, you could just sideways transfer any data from the Zorin Pro install, then use Gparted to format that partition and reclaim that space.
That is a bit of work, though. Honestly, if it was me... I would just Go For It and install Zorin OS Lite.
I'm a wild man, what can I say.
Alternatively... You could triple boot Pro Lite and test it out and if you like it and it all works out, including the printer with the drivers above... Reinstall Zorin Pro Lite after your testing is done, reclaiming the Pro and Lite partitions that way.

I don't like extra work either so I will just go for it.

What I do need to know is: Will all files and folders be deleted under "HOME"?
If so then I need to backup everything. I have a 128gb flash drive that Zorin 16 PRO is on and looks like about 123gb Writeable Area. I clicked on it and the menu that open did not have "make new folder" listed.

How do I make a Folder to store the backup files in this writeable area.

I will Go For It this weekend so if something goes wrong I will have almost 2 days to fix it.

It didn't make 4 days and froze within same time period as before.
It froze while I was typing an email.
Both of my monitors look normal with opened pages displaying normal with no mouse cursor.
Status of System:
Mouse .. dead
Keyboard .. Lights on and all keys dead
CPU fan .. on
Debug LED .. Shows Code AA = is a reserved code
CPU, VGA, DRAM,BOOT LEDs ... All off
MB decorative LED .. On

When I restarted computer it booted Windows 10, No Zorin Menu. Had to restart hitting F12 then select boot override Zorin, it started bringing up Zorin Menu.
I now have turn all EXT back on.

What to do next??
What I would like to do is triple dual boot. I think I did this once with Windows XP, Windows 7, and added Windows 8.
Where when booted it would bring up Zorin OS Lite with selections of Zorin 16 Pro and Windows.
My (C) drive is a SSD 350 gb free out of 488 GB. I would assume the 138 GB used is only Windows 10. Would that be enough space left to fit both Zorin Pro 16 & Zorin OS lite?
Found this: It's called multi-booting. In this article, I'm going to show how to triple boot Windows with two Linux distributions.

What is your input?

On Zorin OS Lite?

No still on Zorin 16 Pro. I would like to install Zorin 16 Pro Lite as Third boot. If I read correctly it uses XFCE.

Yes, Zorin Lite and Zorin Pro Lite use the XFCE4 (4.16) desktop environment, not Gnome.
You can Triple Boot by installing Zorin OS Lite (Or Pro Lite) alongside your existing partitions.

One more question, Do I log into Windows and create a empty 100 GB space then follow the install of Pro Lite.

Yes, you can, and I would recommend if installing alongside Windows...
DeFrag Windows, First.
That may save you from a headache later if fragmented file portions get moved around into places they shouldn't, overwrite something they shouldn't - or if there are bad sectors.
Once that is done, you can just follow the prompts from the Ubiquity installer to "install alongside".
If you run into trouble or it only shows One OS on the system (I have never had this happen in triple boots), you can try using the "Something else" method and choosing the partition you set aside previously from the installer partition manager.

Zorin 16 Pro Lite Froze again its been about 3 days after boot.
I think we need to look at this again and determine where the cause is coming from. I think we should call this a computer Lockup not a freeze.

Since both Gnome and Xfce can be being used the lockup will occur. This says to me the lockup could be cause by Hardware or Software. If Software is the cause then it has to be something common to both programs and not anything to do with Gnome or Xfce. If that is the case then wouldn't that be Zorin related problem?

If Hardware is the issue then need to test Computer. Since I have Windows 10 installed do the stress test from there if it is a hardware issue then it doesn't make any difference what software is running Windows or Linux.

What do you think should we start a new fresh thread and see if we can get to bottom of this? I will do a stress test on my Hardware first.

Do you use VLC or Chrome browser?
Nvidia card?
Are your partitions formatted as ext4?

I unmarked the solution...

Nothing wrong with my computer, stress tested: Memory, Graphic card, and have AMD CPU. Amd has no test.

I use MS EDGE browser. Nvida #750.
ext4 Yes

So could this now mean something on Zorin side of software?

Do you have dedicated Intel graphics built in?
If so, I would try testing if it is the Nvidia, first.
Disabling Nvidia and running only on Intel in-built;
Then reverse it and run on Only Nvidia - see if it freezes up.

If it freezes up when staying at Nvidia Always On, it may mean that the intel card is not switching to Nvidia on high demand.

Note; MS Edge browser is a Chromium based browser. It's basically Chrome, with some MS style appearance.

My graphic card is GeForce GTX 750 it is based on the first generation of the Maxwell architecture, namely the GM107 chip..
I used FurMark testing and ran it at 100% for a while until it was approaching 80C. It ran perfectly.

I don't know how to disabling Nvidia running only on Intel in-built? I have a Ryzen 7 1700 8 core CPU and has no built in graphics. If you are refering to my CPU.

I find Edge to work better for processing sales invoices.

After the confusion on my part I totally forgot CPU are now available with Graphics built in. Not my choice of CPU.

The answer to your question is I only use AMD CPU with no graphics built in.

So could this now mean freezing problem may be something on Zorin side of software?

Actually... This response made me consider that it is on the AMD side.
So, you have AMD Graphics and Nvidia graphics?
If you have the AMD-gpu-pro drivers installed:

sudo amdgpu-pro-uninstall

sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-radeon

sudo apt install xserver-xorg

sudo update-initramfs -u -k all