Keyboard and mouse are off leaving monitor as in a Frozen state

I guess I did something wrong. I have lost sound on Thunar version.
Have sound on Nautilus version. When I did a restart to go back to Lite version it restarted in windows 10. Had to do F12 and manually select startup in Ubuntu.

When I click on a voice mail VLC media player does not pop's up and starts playing the voice mail with no sound. I do not see anything wrong speakers are on.

I have no idea...

Let's focus on the initial problem that we are trying to solve and return to what happened to sound after...

OK Since I am in Lite will do it first. When I run the Sudo -i what is that doing? just shows the ~# and when I delete it it say it is still running are you sure.
Then In Thunar get all the way to: /ect/X11 after right clicking, "Create Document" is greyed out.
So whats wrong or how do I create document. I already have one created from before.
When I run /etc/modprobe.d/* /lib/modprobe.d/*
ezorb@ezorb-AX370-Gaming-5:~$ /etc/modprobe.d/* /lib/modprobe.d/*
bash: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf: Permission denied
ezorb@ezorb-AX370-Gaming-5:~$

Elevates the terminal to Root

Does Thunar give a warning that says
"Warning: you are using the root account. You may harm your system"
At the top of the window, below the toolbar?

An xorg.conf file?
You can just edit the existing one, then and replace any contents with the

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Aspeed"
  Driver "modesetting"
  BusID "PCI:67:0:0"
EndSection

It is:

grep nvidia /etc/modprobe.d/* /lib/modprobe.d/*

That is the only thing in it.
When I run next step do I only run whats in green or do I also include "grep nvidia"?

The entire command.
I do not know why the markdown software colors portions as it does... perhaps to highlight.
Grep is a Search Filter.
The command calls on grep, then specifies to search for "nvidia" and in this command, targets locations to search.

Here is what I get:
ezorb@ezorb-AX370-Gaming-5:~$ grep nvidia /etc/modprobe.d/* /lib/modprobe.d/*
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-framebuffer.conf:blacklist nvidiafb
ezorb@ezorb-AX370-Gaming-5:~$

I see... so the driver you are using lacks nvidia-prime.

Nuts.

And the xorg.conf file?
Any change from that?

No changes. What do you mean lacks Nvidia-prime.

I found this: The only GeForce 700 series GPUs that will still maintain support are the GeForce GTX 750 Ti, GeForce GTX 750, and GeForce GTX 745. These series are all based on NVIDIA's Maxwell architecture, and not the previous Kepler architecture. Does that make a difference as far as -prime?

1 Like

Most likely. I had looked this up on another topic and saw that only the 460/470 driver will work with them at all...
Sorry, I had not seen your previous post. It is near midnight here...

Just went through a lockup. When I lost sound I guess it also mess with boot order cause Ubuntu was in 2nd place with Windows 10 in 1st and it had to do a windows update. Yes we are in same time zone.
If I need sound I will boot up Gnome.

Does this mean we are through with Graphic testing if yes what have we found out? If no what is next?

Don't know what/why speakers were lock in mute. I just kept clicking on buttons finally started working.

Does this mean we are through with Graphic testing if yes what have we found out? If no what is next?

I figure that @zabadabadoo would likely have had you check alsamixer for anything muted first. :wink:

I do not think we are finished if you are still experiencing the trouble - what I am, however, is at a loss of what to do about it.
I suspect that the older and still barely supported 750 card is the primary burden in this.

Agreed. That is the place I where I start looking for muted channels etc. :smiley: But sound issues on Linux can be difficult, time consuming and sometimes just plain impossible to understand.

Well I have a birthday coming up August 5th so I guess I will buy me a present like new Graphic card. I don't play games or do I need one for heavy duty photo work or streaming TV.

What graphic card would you buy to support 2 desktop monitors for nothing more than heavy duty office work and likes both flavors of Zorin.

I had found the muted channels and clicking on them many times did not seem to have any effect. I had a few voicemail to tend to so booted Gnome version up took care of things needing sound. After that booted Xfce version back up and discovered sound problems gone away.

Back to the Locking/Freezing issue what Graphic card would you recommend for a Gigabyte AX370-Gaming 5 MB Socket AM4 RYZEN CPU with 1 - 32" & 1 - 27" monitors.
I do not do any gaming or photo work anymore.

Without having dedicated Intel graphics, which would do fine, You might opt for Nvidia lower end:
GeForce GTX 1650
GeForce GTX 1080
GeForce GTX 1060

Gigabyte Radeon RX 6500 XT Gaming OC 4G AMD
This is overkill but from reading it seems to match up with MB and RYZEN and uses Linex open source drivers.

You need to check that it matches your Power Supply, as well.