Laptop display inverted but reverts to normal when external monitor is added

Ok, so this can be corrected, normally, as long as the external Vertically positioned monitor is not plugged in?
This makes me wonder if the vertical monitor also has an orientation chip in it, in addition to the one in your notebook computer.

It wasn't doing this behavior until about a month ago. The system ran fine since installation about a year ago.

I wonder what would be the result of turning that monitor through 180degrees. i.e. inverted. (but that would be too easy).

I'm not sure you are grasping what is going on.

I have the built in laptop screen << which is the issue
I also have an external monitor which is tilted into a vertical position and displaying correctly.

It is the default laptop screen that magically goes upside down when and only when there is no external monitor plugged into the laptops external port. When an external monitor is plugged in, the default laptop screen displays in the correct orientation. Unplug the external monitor again, and the laptop screen display goes upside down all on its own.

OK. Understood. A websearch I did revealed nothing of use relating to Ubuntu, although see some people are having similar inversion problems running Windows on their 2-in-1 machines.

Can you tell us which edition of ZorinOS you have (e.g. Pro, Core, Lite etc)?
If you can add that detail to your forum profile, that would also be useful.

16 pro

I'm looking at where to add that to my forum profile now :slight_smile:

Are you using the "Tablet" screen layout option in Pro, or one of the others?

1 Like

I'm using the standard screen on the laptop in standard mode.
*didn't know it has other options :stuck_out_tongue:

From your profile, choose Preferences, then select Profile from the list on the left side.
Scroll down to the Drop Down Menu for "Zorin OS Edition"

I had not thought of that...

My zorin auto update feature just installed a new kernel. It's still upside down when using the laptop screen solo
:frowning:

However it doesn't appear to be running the 5.18 kernel

dave@Zorin-Flex5:~$ uname -a
Linux Zorin-Flex5 5.13.0-52-generic #59~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 16 21:21:28 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

So I kind of made a solution but it needs work.

I edited my bashrc with the code given above "xrandr -o normal"
So when I click the Terminal window icon with my mouse, it will auto-right-side-up my desktop. Is there another way of tweaking another setting (like loading of the profile itself) to do this automatically?

Is the 5.18 fully installed? As the latest kernel, it should default boot into it.

I use autorandr to stop my monitors from persistently going into "mirror". Perhaps you can use it to automate your resolution:

Cannon use command on xrand to change horizontal after connect service?

Due to time, aggravation, and inexperience, I blew out my install.
So mark this as "NOT SOLVED".

Thanks all.

Now to post my next question on the forums.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.