Laptop doesn't power cycle on shutdown or restart

I recently bought the asus tuf gaming a17 laptop and installed zorin. It was a process trying to find the proper uefi boot image for the live usb, then dealing with an under supported Realtek 1811 WiFi/ Bluetooth adapter. After finally getting that corrected, zorin updates and i loose my wifi again, but more troubling is the fact that the laptop will not completely power cycle for restart or shutdown. What i mean is the power stays on, though the os completed shutting down.

I googled this and found Ubuntu 12 and 18 had the same issue. I attempted the grub fixes of acpi=force and the acp=power_off to no avail. Any ideas would be appreciated. I also would like a persistent driver install so that i don’t have to redo my wifi adapter after every update.

Thanks for all your help.

Is there any indication like the Power Light being turned on? And also what is the bios version?

Asus bios v 3.09… the power light and screen both remain lit, though it’s a black screen

Does your Asus have an “advanced” tab in the BIOS?
Some say there is a Power Setting that needs to be disabled in the Advanced Bios Tab.
Others say logging out before shutdown seems to cause the notebook to shut down properly.

You can also look at

sudo nano /etc/systemd/system.conf

Scroll down to

#DefaultTimeoutStopSec=90s

Remove the # sign and change to 5 seconds so it looks like

DefaultTimeoutStopSec=5s

On Realtek driver with updates : Many of us feel your pain.

1 Like

I’ll check out those options… let you know how it goes. Thank you for the quick responses and taking the time.

Do you have Windows? A BIOS Update may fix that. Go here ASUS TUF GAMING A17 BIOS & FIRMWARE, select your CPU or BIOS Model, get the update. Note that there are two options. One is for the EZ FLASH UTILITY another is for Windows. If you don’t have Windows, download the EZ FLASH UTILITY version and watch this tutorial to flash it. It may solve the problems. Warning: Always Backup your Data. If the BIOS fails, you won’t be able to boot and you will lose your data(though you can go to a support center nand fix it there, but still).

Updated to bios 311, modified system.conf, turned off secure boot and fast boot, logged out prior to shutdown and still does not power cycle the screen or laptop itself

Oh god! Try dualbooting another linux like Debian or Ubuntu. See if that does it, if it doesn’t power cycle, your laptop has a weird issue… If it goes normal (i.e. it power cycles) then something is wrong with the Zorin installation process.

Out of curiosity, is this a used laptop? Just asking.