Laptop doesn't power cycle on shutdown or restart

no luck. any chance we can find out what popOS is using for its kernel? supposedly they aren’t having issues with latest nvidia drivers

5.11 was what was on the test I did yesterday. Kind of an 'eek' moment.
You also can install the kernel on Zorin, just not mainline.
I wrote a book a moment ago in response to the above and it got moderated and is awaiting Moderator Approval- so fair warning that this may become a Double Post.
There is also this:

From my perspective it is as frustrating trying to remotely assist in troubleshooting with another person, often with huge gaps in necessary information. I do not know all the things the other person has done and cannot see the screen in front of the other person. In a funny way, I re-experience my start on Linux over and over again on this forum.
But that also means you and others on here are not Newbies or alone or "it's your problem, not mine."
One of the things I remember strongly was this:

The good news is- that is not how it really is. I said something very similar to what you just said, to Swarfendor and Zorinantwerp when I first starting using Zorin as my first Linux distro. I also complained that Synaptic was very hard to understand for a similar reason- How was I supposed to know what packages I needed - which ones to checkmark for installation? It was just a Long List presented to me with funny names that I had no idea what to do with.
But after using Synaptic for a brief time, I realized my mind put up a barrier against the New and Unfamiliar and assumed greater complexity than there is.
Opening Synaptic, all you need do is hit Search and type in what you are looking for. You do not need a naming convention because it will list all related packages. Ok, so that one problem solved... What about knowing what to checkmark? Well, you find the Basic package and checkmark it and Synaptic then gives a pop over window showing the additional packages needed.
Oh.
That problem solved.
I think the first thing we all think in using Linux at first is that we need to know all the terminal commands. Well, I have been using it long enough I do have many memorized and using the this forum keeps that up- but the reality is that Linus Torvalds doesn't know all the commands either. We look them up, keep cheat sheets and so on. You do not need to know hardcore scripting. Just look it up with a reference and mosey on along.
Which makes you wonder- why do we do it that way? Power. It puts the control back in our hands. That is what was lacking and what we wanted back after-all. So, it comes with being willing to use the terminal emulator- but at first it looks scary getting all that power all of the sudden.
At first, there is Very Little you need scripts or bashrc's for. A person really needs to get pretty deep before that gets necessary. But too many tutorials out there get complicated when they do not need to. And some are dated to 2003, back before many additions and improvements to Linux as a whole. Back then, Linux really was a bit more exclusive. these days, not so much.

Perhaps you have needs that you are in a rush to meet. But if not, it is OK to slow down and enjoy the learning experience. Take it a step at a time. You are not learning calculus here, but learning a new arithmetic. It is easier than it looks; Our biggest enemy is fear makes it look meaner than it is.

Installations are almost always (On Zorin) as simple as

sudo apt install (Package-name)

or

sudo dpkg -i (Debian-package-name).deb

Zorin comes with Make, compile, dplg, apt and everything else already installed. It does not come with Alien, but you can install it as a tool to make your life easier. IF you are looking at a needed package that is an .rpm and you are considering trying to build from source - Instead install Alien

sudo apt install alien

Then

sudo alien (Package-name).rpm (Package-name).deb

and convert it to a .deb file. You can sudo dpkg -i to install or... Double click it and let the Zorin installer do it.
Yesterday, maybe you did not know or were unsure. Now, you know.

Yes, it is. Easypeasy. You can move things to /etc or to /opt and it is also not unusual to install something directly to these locations, like a web browser, then link to that location as a launcher in your App Menu to make it easier to reach your tools.

I am not a computer guru. I am a classic car mechanic. I often think of the computer, in this regard, as a comparison to my shop.
I like (and keep) my shop Organized, Clean and tools go Where They Go NO EXCEPTIONS. Use a tool- Put it back where it goes. Tools are Not to be put on Floors or left on benches. Use it. PUT IT BACK. That is my Strictest Shop Rule. On the computer, all tools fly back to where they go when not being used. It's awesome.

Yes, Windows has adefrag and registry and other explosions in a kite string factory. Linux does not and you do not need to defrag because when you install on Linux, it allocates a block for that with room to grow. If the installation, after upgrades are additions grows larger than that block -it allocates a new one that is larger with room for that to grow and moves ALL that data to the new block instead of fragmenting it.

I think you are like a mechanic standing in a shop and you want to Get To Work. You want your tools within reach and efficient workflow. But... it is a new shop. You are not sure where all the tools are and are finding yourself searching through drawers. Some of the tools do not look like ones you are familiar with and you are hesitant, unsure how to use it.
This is normal. How long does a mech work in a shop before they're slickin back their hair like the Fonz? It doesn't take an hour, sadly. But it doesn't take a long time, either. It just feels like it does while you are getting used to the new shop and floor layout and overcoming hesitation and doubt.

All of that said, Linux is not perfect. Certainly, there are advantages and the pros of evading M$ is a strong point. But Linux, while a great crowd, is still a Small Crowd and support is divided among fewer people. This is Apparent Where Nvidia is concerned. Nvidia is a thorn in Linux's side and likes to be that way. The Nouveau drivers are Nvidia drivers- that experts disassembled and formatted for Linux (basically, reverse engineered) because Nvidia will not cooperate.
My own choice- I am not an avid gamer- is I don't use Nvidia. Sure, it's like Snap On or DeWalt with the fancy name but uhhh... There's plenty out there that often really is Just As Good. (I do use Snap On Tools but they are all OLD Snap On. )

so how would I go about

1. Moving applications…its actually pretty simple because they are under snap. If i can change the default folder to find a place in say ~/snap…my problems decrease, since i have home in a different partition.

2. Installing kernel 5.10 or 5.11? This would be a great improvement since it would also include support for the hardware (one gen old or current) that I have. It begs the question of whether I will need a certain firmware (SOF as you called it). Something I’d like local for anytime I have to reinstall (its the only upgrade that is required to get my wireless nic working). It can be a pain all the hoops I have to jump through just to get networking capabilities.

Starting my search

You cannot move Snap items. They are pretty much all Quarantined software.

You may notice... over time... that some of us speak disparagingly of Snap and Snapd. For many reasons.

You also cannot remove or install a snap with Synaptic or APT, though nowadays, APT is programmed to redirect you to a SNAP if using an Ubuntu derivative or Ubuntu.

You can install a kernel in a variety of different ways. You can download a package or use terminal with APT...
But since I keep mentioning Synaptic- And how powerful it is, let's flex its muscles.
If you have not already, install synaptic

sudo apt install synaptic

Now, open it. Since Synaptic needs to be able to install Software to root, you must always open as admin. So, enter your root pw.
On the Upper Right side of the toolbar, you will see Search (In earlier versions it is Middle of the toolbar). Click search and type in

linux-image

You will then be presented with a list. This part is important:
-Unsigned - Means not a mainstream kernel; which I have touched on here and in a couple other threads. The Unsigned kernels do not necessarily include Distro Specific Patches.
-Generic- this is what you are looking for. Choose generic. Do not choose lowlatency, oracle, edge or gcp. Generic is the one you want. The one you want is Generic. Not less than Generic and not More than Generic. It is just like the Holy Hand Grenade.
Alright so that list has the Kernel Versions - Generic.
Scroll through the list and explore for a minute to get a feel. You may notice things like "linux-modules-nvidia-460-5.6.0-1046-oem making your eyes water.

I am not sure what it will present to you since our set ups are different and I installed a flux capacitor in mine... But mine shows up to 5.10.0. I can find up to 5.8.0-44 Generic Signed on mine. Let me know what you see on yours. If you are finding a high enough kernel, then you can right click that entry and select "mark for installation." A popup window will offer other Needed packages so Agree To That Too (You need the modules).
Next you are going to repeat the above steps, only this time search

linux-headers

Scroll down to the matching version. In my example above of selecting 5.8.0-44 generic, I will "Mark for installation" on

linux-headers-5.8.0-44-generic

as well. These are the three parts to every kernel: Headers, Modules and Image.
You May, after this, want to also install

linux-image-extras

for video drivers.
Once you are ready- on the Synaptic Toolbar, click "Apply."

According to this:

you can move snapd using mount --bind.

1 Like

i manually downloaded the .debs and dpkg’d it in the recovery root terminal. Feels sneaky and underhanded…but it worked and I’m in my normal de…NO RECOVERY!!! yes

I didn’t realize about Alien…thanks for the tip. Are you using mainline for your kernel switching? I know you said Synaptic, but I thought maybe you tried multiple options. I don’t mind trying new software, but i do tend to stick with things i favor.

The header files were included in the download. What I found listed these steps:

wget -c https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.11/amd64/linux-headers-5.11.0-051100_5.11.0-051100.202102142330_all.deb

wget -c https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.11/amd64/linux-headers-5.11.0-051100-generic_5.11.0-051100.202102142330_amd64.deb

wget -c https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.11/amd64/linux-image-unsigned-5.11.0-051100-generic_5.11.0-051100.202102142330_amd64.deb

wget -c https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.11/amd64/linux-modules-5.11.0-051100-generic_5.11.0-051100.202102142330_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

I’m still getting the acpi errors now, even with the nvidia 460 driver working and the modifications I made to the config files. I’m not worried about it though. It’s working!

I am using mainline currently.
Synaptic was a suggested method, but as I said, there are many and whatever works best for you is fine by me.

For acpi, to your grub line, you can add one of the following parameters, testing them to see which works best on your system:

acpi=off

acpi strict

noacp

Remember- only ONE of the above options at a time.

Happy to stand corrected on moving Snap Installations to a new directory and thanks for sharing how to do that.

I followed the instructions to a “T”, but there are system files that cannot be moved…so there is no way to do it. You were right…can’t move the snap folder…I may be able to do the individual applications though. I was trying to do the entire folder for future installs if there are any

It locks up, black screen with steady cursor. I’m not worried about it currently. I can use it. Not gaming or watching movies in it anyway. The purpose of linux for me is to learn. Learn the OS as well as learn development. I’ll work on that more later. I have wasted two weeks trying to get into this OS to work on my school work. I WILL get back to this, the touchpad toggle function keys and a few other things that haven’t worked from the first installation of Zorin.

In terminal, can you run

sudo dpkg --configure -a

I am sorry, I cannot recall if you are using Lite or Core... But you may also reconfigure ligthdm (Zorin OS Lite) or gdm3 (Zorin OS Core).
Lite:

sudo apt-get purge lightdm
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install lightdm
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
sudo reboot

Core (Or Ultimate):

sudo apt-get purge gdm3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gdm3
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3
sudo reboot

My dmesg output:

~$ sudo dmesg | egrep -i -e “Error|Warni”
[ 0.322398] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [_SB.PCI0.GPP4.WLAN], AE_NOT_FOUND (20201113/dswload2-162)
[ 0.322413] ACPI Error: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20201113/psobject-220)
[ 3.667160] platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db failed with error -2
[ 4.632548] nvidia-gpu 0000:01:00.3: i2c timeout error e0000000
[ 4.632566] ucsi_ccg: probe of 1-0008 failed with error -110

something to do with the wireless nic and nvidia (who knew)… not sure about the rest

There is an issue in the bios checking for something never defined, from what I read. It may be resolved in the next asus bios update, though I may have to create a ticket so they know that the bug exists or rather still persists (if known). I don’t know there is anything I can do but endure the errors before greeter. A very painful two seconds of my life…how will I deal?!

1 Like

This dmesg output is a little clearer:

sudo dmesg -l err,Warn | grep ACPI
[ 0.322398] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [_SB.PCI0.GPP4.WLAN], AE_NOT_FOUND (20201113/dswload2-162)
[ 0.322413] ACPI Error: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20201113/psobject-220)
[ 0.992246] ACPI: Invalid passive threshold
[ 0.992268] ACPI: Invalid active0 threshold
[ 0.992318] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [_TZ.THRM._SCP.CTYP], AE_NOT_FOUND (20201113/psargs-330)
[ 0.992358] ACPI Error: Aborting method _TZ.THRM._SCP due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20201113/psparse-529)

@337harvey - did you ever find a resolution? If so, would you mind posting and marking as solved?

Marked Solution. 309

A update to a newer kernel solved the issue.

Please forgive the lack of response.